California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Anyone know which springs is best?

Old 02-21-2011, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know which springs is best?

Anyone know which springs is good quality and gives the lowest drop?
I'm trying to get rid of the finger gap I have with my current springs.
I'd greatly appreciate this. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2011, 09:55 PM

To get rid of that finger gap the lowest springs I would recommend are skunk 2's. But you have to get all rears all around 8 coils to have a nice even drop which means you have to buy two sets of skunk2 springs.

I have mine for sale and they are 2" all around 8 coils front and back.
6k miles on them with stock shocks. Pm me if interested.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry20291680
Old 02-21-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ones that get rid of the boat look.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:38 PM

eBay makes some good ones that will defiantly get rid of the "boat look". They ride like shit, but hey, at least your car wont look like a boat.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:10 AM

i dont recommend any springs, get coilovers instead.., you can adjust it to your desirable height! youll be happier in the long run!...Aftermarket springs + Stock Shocks/Struts = bad combo IMO...
Old 02-22-2011, 08:46 AM

Its pretty much your own personal preference. If you like a set drop that you dont want to worry about adjusting the height of your vehicle then springs is the way to go. You get good and bad reviews about springs same with coils. In my case I give it a fair result with my skuink2. Good drop and ride comfort isnt that bad.
I got rid of the boat looking by going 8 coils all around which gave it an even drop. But it was my time to move on for better setup. Ill post some pictures of my car later on today if your interested.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lawhaze,Feb 21 2011, 10:41 PM
Anyone know which springs is good quality and gives the lowest drop?
I'm trying to get rid of the finger gap I have with my current springs.
I'd greatly appreciate this. Thanks!
there's good (riding)quality spring and there's spring with lowest drop, I can tell you why they don't make a slammed good riding spring.

when you lower you car with spring, you are getting less suspension travel unless you have a shorten damper, in order to not slamming your damper to death most aftermarket spring mfg will increase the springrate to limits the suspension stroke.

that works to a degree on a stock length damper but if you are looking to lower the car dramatically, you'll have sh-tty ride quality(not to mention riding bumpstop) on oem length damper. You can limit travel by increase the springrate but you'll end up with a car that bounce and skip over anything by glassy race track surface, not to mention the limitation of suspension(neg camber gain for example)

most people will find it more cost effective to just go with a coilover set up, assuming the mfg did their home work and match the damper curve with the spring rates. with a sleeveover/spring setup you still can't corner balance and preload the spring.

and of course let's compare data.

the OP you have a 05:

256lb/in F
207lb/in R

skunk2's spring(-2"F, -1.8"R)

380lb/in F
243lb/in R

that's roughly 48% increase in springrate in front, 17% increase in springrate in rear.

that's alot for stock damper to handle for the front, probably will overwork the damper and shorten the life. I don't know why they choice that biases, the rear might ride bumpstop much more often. consider it's only .2" less drop vs the front.
for those with Skunk2 spring, what was the instruction regarding the bumpstop trimming?

the only good thing I see the skunk2 spring is at least they got the biases right for non-CR ap2. Don't even think of putting them on ap1 stock suspension, you'll be running softer spring in the rear with 1.8" drop.

There's a lot of good quality spring setup, some might say a good/fair match to oem damper but it seems most of the company design their springs when the ap1 first came out, since honda shifted their suspension biases toward the front for a more predictable and easier handling most aftermarket spring is a bad matchup for the ap2 damper setup.

example:

ap1 00-01
218 f
291 r

eibach prokit(great budget setup btw)

262f
342r

+20% front, +17.5%Rear, on paper it should be a good match up for stock damper if money is little short. put that on a stock ap2 damper, the spring rate probably not going to match the damper curve.

the same goes for Stech, Espelir ASD, KGMM, RSR, Spoon, Swift, Tanabe's spring setup
Old 02-22-2011, 01:50 PM

oem son don't let the haters tax y0 money!
Old 02-22-2011, 02:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke Togo,Feb 22 2011, 02:50 PM

oem son don't let the haters tax y0 money!
Who needs coilover when you can increase your own spring rate
Old 02-22-2011, 03:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by don2007,Feb 22 2011, 12:38 AM
eBay makes some good ones that will defiantly get rid of the "boat look". They ride like shit, but hey, at least your car wont look like a boat.

Quick Reply: Anyone know which springs is best?