California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Anyone here ever contest a speeding ticket? or go to court over a speeding ticket?

Old 03-06-2002, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by kki3o
i also got a similar ticket....except mine was for exhibition of speed...anyone kno whats the penalty for that
ouch... you should really verify whether the VC the cop wrote is the same as "exhibition of speed" VC 23109

if you were at a stop and did not break traction and not continue at a high speed, you could get this dropped.

Max sentence (and only worry about this if you piss the judge off or just really test him)
- jail for 90 days
- $500 fine and PA
- or both
- license suspension up to 6 months

If you've been bad and have done this even once before in the past 5 years (i think 5) then suspension for 6 months is required minimum

Old 03-06-2002, 12:28 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by integrate
[B] ... and drafting this benz a bit with no foot on the gas, so I was slowing down a bit, going about 80-85mph (cop was sitting at the bottom).
Old 03-06-2002, 01:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ascended Sayian
[B]

In any case, you can probaly show in court that you were pulled over along with the benz because the reading was off of the benz, and that the officer could not notice changes in distances, because of the truck (larger vehicle) in front of the benz and a van in the next lane (that you got behind) - very iffy evidence for the CHP
Old 03-06-2002, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Ascended Sayian

ouch... you should really verify whether the VC the cop wrote is the same as "exhibition of speed" VC 23109

if you were at a stop and did not break traction and not continue at a high speed, you could get this dropped.

Max sentence (and only worry about this if you piss the judge off or just really test him)
- jail for 90 days
- $500 fine and PA
- or both
- license suspension up to 6 months

If you've been bad and have done this even once before in the past 5 years (i think 5) then suspension for 6 months is required minimum

yea it says 23109
Old 03-06-2002, 04:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kki3o
[B]

yea it says 23109
Old 03-07-2002, 03:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kki3o
[B]

yea it says 23109
Old 03-07-2002, 03:25 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by integrate
[B]

nice....one thing though, there was no truck.
Old 03-07-2002, 10:18 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ascended Sayian
[B]

With exhibition of speed, there are really two elements that the cop has to prove:
1. you thought someone else was watching to show off or something of that manner
2. you drove very fast or accelerated quickly
Old 03-07-2002, 11:08 AM

I've got a question...do you think age of the driver has anything to with being stopped?I've been pulled up next to and eyeballed(once for 6 miles) by a few Highway Patrol officers since my purchase of my S2 last October.I'm 45 years old and have never been stopped and wondering if the police just want to show younger drivers a lesson....what do ya think?
Old 03-07-2002, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by Ascended Sayian

Ok... pacing the van is really (unfortunately) irrelavant in this matter, because when you were pacing him, you were already going uphill and the cop was at the bottom of the hill. He was just waiting for you to pass, cause he probably got his readings beforehand.

So there are two things that might have been going through the cop's head
1. i'm pulling the benz over along with the saab because the benz was already speeding when the saab was behind him (I will probably pull the saab over for tailgating)... oh wait, now the saab is passing the benz... now i can slap him with a speeding ticket because if the benz is already speeding and the saab is passing... I'll estimate his speed. (92 mph)

2. I'm pulling the saab over for speeding, but I'm going to also pull the benz over for speeding and when he saw me (the cop) he began to tailgate (or something like that)

At this point, it's really up to you. YOu can plead guilty and hopefully charges will decrease (although I wouldn't think too much of it, just because of the speed he had you down for) or gamble and fight it - personally I'd fight it. the savings from the reduced ticket will not be more than the insurance increase- so gamble on the cop not showing or the cop giving a poor testimony (yes that does happen - many times - i've won on a couple of those)
Nice, thanks a lot for the informatoin and your time Saiyan. I might fight it cuz I don't really have anything to lose, and money isn't really an issue to me. I might also ask for a public defender and see if I can get a good deal with the judge. Anyways, I'll use all this info as best as possible.

Quick Reply: Anyone here ever contest a speeding ticket? or go to court over a speeding ticket?