California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Anyone here ever contest a speeding ticket? or go to court over a speeding ticket?

Old 03-06-2002, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn, thanks a lot for the info guys.

Actually, I was going above the speed limit. Supposedly 92 in 65, forgot to ask him to show me his radar gun. I was going with traffic downhill, and drafting this benz a bit with no foot on the gas, so I was slowing down a bit, going about 80-85mph (cop was sitting at the bottom). I didn't want to use brakes too hard cuz they're not feeling right. Anyways, I passed this benz in front of me cuz he slowed down behind a van, then I started to slow down while going up a hill and a bit after that, I got pulled over. Both of us, the benz and myself got caught. Cop didn't hassle me, nor did I hassle the cop. He got me on radar, as he was pretty close to me, I think. A radar detector would've/should've helped me out in this case. I doubt I'll be able to take traffic school since I got a speeding ticket 12 months ago.

I plan on pleading guilty with a reason and try to get the fine reduced. I can try pleading not guilty and hope the cop won't not show up, but this guy seems like he would. Anyways, I don't really have anything to lose, so which one should I go with? If I can get the fine reduced drastically, then I'll just go with that.

btw, before I got pulled over, there was a van that was up ahead of me, and when I caught up to him, I paced him going 75. I caught up to him right as I was by the cop. So I guess the CHP got me as I was approaching him, but then I couldn't have been going 92 since I was pacing the benz in front of me, which was going low 80s. I think the benz was going 92 cuz before he slowed down, he put a considerable distance on me and I still didn't have the foot on the gas. Both our cars are silver and it was dark, so maybe...

if you guys had the patience to read this, then I really appreciate it
Old 03-06-2002, 02:44 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DouglaS2000
[B]

What he said.
Old 03-06-2002, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by integrate

If you DO trial by written declaration, and the cop doesn't do the paperwork, is it thrown out?
Yup. Him not submitting the paperwork is just like not showing up to the court trial.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:15 AM

And don't show up in court dressed like a slob.
Old 03-06-2002, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by Flyin Wedge
And don't show up in court dressed like a slob.
I never dress like a slob
Old 03-06-2002, 09:05 AM

I have gone to court in New Mexico over a ticket and pleaded with the cop there. I did a lot of research on radar guns and how they are to be used. The judge was impressed with my knowledge and dropped charges with the understanding that I would donate 50bucks to my local charity! I walked out of that court room feeling like Matlock! LOL
Old 03-06-2002, 09:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by blckndvoodoo
[B]I have gone to court in New Mexico over a ticket and pleaded with the cop there.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:22 AM

i also got a similar ticket....except mine was for exhibition of speed...anyone kno whats the penalty for that
would the court take my license away...
anyone kno any of this type of ticket...
the cop said it was a misdemeanor or something and i have to go to court...
Old 03-06-2002, 11:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by blckndvoodoo
[B]I have gone to court in New Mexico over a ticket and pleaded with the cop there.
Old 03-06-2002, 12:00 PM

I was clocked doing like 90 or 92 in a 65 by Ka band radar gun. It was at night and the state cop was behind a truck... probably following him too close as to why I didn't see him. At the very last minute my radar detector freaked out and I saw lights doing a Uturn.

I chose to go to court... NM you have choice to just send payment or go to court... one or the other! Turns out I had to drive 2.5 hours just to attend court in a double wide trailer!!! It was 2 mins past my court appearance and the officer didn't show up... I started to tell the adminstrator that the cop wasn't here and the charges need to be dropped... at that very same moment he pulled up!!! Urgh!

I asked the officer when he last calibrated his device, if he had the journal, and if he was certified to use the device. Turns out in NM atleast, the officers have to be certified by the state and receive a certificate stating they are trained to use the device. This device was brand new and the state hasn't sent out the certificates yet so the judge was upset that the cop didn't have yet he was writing tickets off of it.

The cop then "cross-examined" me stating that I knodded my head at the time he gave me the ticket as if pleading guilty!!!! And he argued that the calibration was fine and such but couldn't provide the journals needed. I then replied to his initial statement that it wasn't appropriate time or place to dispute when he wrote me the ticket.

But be careful, I recommended this same strategy to a friend and the officer had all info ready and available.... the judge found him guilty and threw some court fees on him that almost doubled his initial fine!

All of this is just my opinion!

Quick Reply: Anyone here ever contest a speeding ticket? or go to court over a speeding ticket?