California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Any good dance studio/teacher in LA area?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man im just a beginner...i wouldnt know if i could keep up with these workshops.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by LegendaryHarry,May 16 2008, 12:25 PM
man im just a beginner...i wouldnt know if i could keep up with these workshops.
the more classes/workshops you take, the faster your learning curve increases. I hope you went
Old 05-18-2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by horse110,Apr 4 2008, 09:25 PM
Hi all

I'm looking for a good dance studio or teacher in the 626 area, but will travel down to downtown LA or riverside for some good lessons. Can't really find a good studio that focuses on these dance styles and having hardtime learning from youtube Only looking for poppin and locking, or maybe hiphop.

Anything will be very much appreciated, and thanks in advance!
if you want classic oldschool teachers, you gotta come to homeland. that "Think you can dance" bs is embarrassing. seriously, i would never recommend anyone learn from them. they dont have their foundations, and they dont understand the history.

I grew up in both LA area and the bay. we used to have pop shops in oakland, dt san fran, san jose.. and LB as well. Theres alot of history, alot of battles, and theres alot of bs out there, but if you get the chance to learn from the best, do it. so go to homeland. u never know whose gonna show.

also.. if theres anyone, and i do mean ANYONE who is a popper/house dancer, let me know. lets start up a function.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dj Elixur,May 18 2008, 11:07 AM
if you want classic oldschool teachers, you gotta come to homeland. that "Think you can dance" bs is embarrassing. seriously, i would never recommend anyone learn from them. they dont have their foundations, and they dont understand the history.

I grew up in both LA area and the bay. we used to have pop shops in oakland, dt san fran, san jose.. and LB as well. Theres alot of history, alot of battles, and theres alot of bs out there, but if you get the chance to learn from the best, do it. so go to homeland. u never know whose gonna show.

also.. if theres anyone, and i do mean ANYONE who is a popper/house dancer, let me know. lets start up a function.
i agree with you and disagree with you...Yes, I agree you should learn your foundations and your history, especially if you're going to get into the foundation of hip hop such as popping, locking, breakin', wacking/punking or even house. I don't agree with you in that all "think you can dance bs is embrassing." Yah, you might not like it because it's "commerical" but it's still dance. It's still how one interprets the music...how ones body moves to the beat. If you watch alot of the "commerical" or "think you can dance" choreographers, you'll actually be surprised by their musciality. If you think it's all BS, i challenge to you to choreograph something of your own or take a class before you just throw it aside and call it "embrassing" There's so much more out there then what is actually seen on TV. I respect all forms of dance whether it be hip hop, house, krump, ballroom, salsa, tango, etc. and whether it be choreographed or freestyle. You being a house dj i figured you'd know that you should never judge. History shows that House Music was not accepted at first because it was deemed "too black" or "too gay"

On a side note, Hi Wendy if you do a house function, I'll definitely try to make it out.

Oh yeah, come support me in my LAST performance

shameless plug i know
Old 05-20-2008, 01:40 AM

btw...i forgot to mention that I'm commend the O.P. for actually wanting to learn the foundation of hip hop...there's not too many people who get into it who want to learn the foundations.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Arbeeezy,May 20 2008, 01:30 AM
i agree with you and disagree with you...Yes, I agree you should learn your foundations and your history, especially if you're going to get into the foundation of hip hop such as popping, locking, breakin', wacking/punking or even house. I don't agree with you in that all "think you can dance bs is embrassing." Yah, you might not like it because it's "commerical" but it's still dance. It's still how one interprets the music...how ones body moves to the beat. If you watch alot of the "commerical" or "think you can dance" choreographers, you'll actually be surprised by their musciality. If you think it's all BS, i challenge to you to choreograph something of your own or take a class before you just throw it aside and call it "embrassing" There's so much more out there then what is actually seen on TV. I respect all forms of dance whether it be hip hop, house, krump, ballroom, salsa, tango, etc. and whether it be choreographed or freestyle. You being a house dj i figured you'd know that you should never judge. History shows that House Music was not accepted at first because it was deemed "too black" or "too gay"

On a side note, Hi Wendy if you do a house function, I'll definitely try to make it out.

Oh yeah, come support me in my LAST performance

shameless plug i know
"It's still how one interprets the music...how ones body moves to the beat.. If you think it's all BS, i challenge to you to choreograph something of your own or take a class before you just throw it aside and call it "embrassing" There's so much more out there then what is actually seen on TV. I respect all forms of dance whether it be hip hop, house, krump, ballroom, salsa, tango, etc. and whether it be choreographed or freestyle. "

im with u 100% on that one. i should've made myself more clear.. its not the choreographers. its the ppl they choose to execute the dance moves. i liked the nerdy kid who popped.. the white girl was fine, shes a dancer clearly. the white guy was actually more than what i expected. what offended me, was the asian girl, and altho the asian guy could pop, he was SLOPPY. so! what i shouldve said was, its embarrassing (considered it disrespectful to the dance style itself, they should've called in the o.g.s to educate) how sloppily executed the moves were (in regards to popping/locking), and that its being set as the bar when in reality, its much much higher.

also, those fqn kids were punks. i mean, absolute punks. their personalities blow, arrogant as hell, and those two things coupled, nothing worse than a cocky dancer whose half a**ed and thinks their hot chit. sorry, its about respect, and its hard to respect someone who makes an a** of themselves in a private event, publicized or not. I respect a someone who feels the music, whose having a good time, not necessarily perfect in form, vs the prior. its all about the attitude, the vibe. and sadly, lots of "styles" on the screen just doesnt have that same vibe you'd find on the st.

whens ur last performance? sometimes the dancers from SD will come up to Deep, you should join us.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:50 AM

last performance? what gives?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by LegendaryHarry,May 20 2008, 11:50 AM
last performance? what gives?
Come audition

BTW...i saw this at the last competition i was in and I know you'll like it: The Revolution by Anthony Lee
Old 06-03-2008, 04:14 PM

lol addition? im such a newwwb! but i would like another place to practice...me and my friend dont got a place to practice on our own..

ps. that video was REALLY good haha especially when the guy kissed the girl doing a handwalk...smoooth