California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Any auto insurance experts here?

Old 09-08-2011, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew523
It doesn't cost 3200 to tear down a car... Going to be hard to find multiple appraisers to agree and determine that it would cost 3200 for the tear down as well. Luckily when i did claims, i didn't have to deal with anything like this. Most of my stuff were easy and mainly people pissed about personal items that were stolen or damage in the car wasn't going to be covered or aftermarket parts not being covered.
What do you suggest I do? Give in and let them deduct the $2365 from the settlement?
Old 09-08-2011, 07:56 PM

Does anybody know how they will value my car for the loss?
Taking the condition, mileage and features of the car before the accident into consideration, will they give me trade in,
private party or retail value?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by S2FARSI
Originally Posted by Drew523' timestamp='1315537736' post='20956428

It doesn't cost 3200 to tear down a car... Going to be hard to find multiple appraisers to agree and determine that it would cost 3200 for the tear down as well. Luckily when i did claims, i didn't have to deal with anything like this. Most of my stuff were easy and mainly people pissed about personal items that were stolen or damage in the car wasn't going to be covered or aftermarket parts not being covered.
What do you suggest I do? Give in and let them deduct the $2365 from the settlement?
Hey, as long as you have a backup car that you can drive for work, school or whatever then you might as well just keep fighting on until it gets mediated haha. But if that is your only car and you need it repaired ASAP or need the check to get another car than that is going to be rough since it will probably take longer than the 30 days if you have rental reimburstment.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Drew523
It is only very common to see additional supplemental payments if they are justified... Insurance company isn't just going to cut another check to the body shop because they say its going to cost more without showing them why... Example of them doing additional payments would be while doing repairs to your vehicle the body shop discovers additional damage to the that wasn't accounted for from the original estimate then they would call or email the adjuster letting them know that additional repairs are need and it would cost this much. Then adjuster would either ask for pictures or revisit the shop for another inspection and approve the repairs and the company would cut another check or increase the total repair cost of the bill if they haven't sent out a check yet... Bodyshop can't just say, oh i need another 5k to finish the repairs and the company says OK and sends them the check... Alot of times we would just ok the amount after we talk with the bodyshop unless they wanted some high amount then we would need to make sure it is legit.

Policy declaration should have something similar to this in the packet and forms.

APPRAISAL

A. If we and you do not agree on the amount of loss, either may demand an appraisal of the loss. In this event, each party will select a competent appraiser. The two appraisers will select an umpire. The appraisers will state separately the actual cash value and the amount of loss. If they fail to agree, they will submit their differences to the umpire. A decision agreed to by any two will be binding. Each party will:

1. Pay its chosen appraiser; and
2. 2. Bear the expenses of the appraisal and umpire equally.

B. We do not waive any of our rights under this policy by agreeing to an appraisal.

Thats why the sheets state very clearly "all supplemental items must be approved beforehand" etc or something to that extent.

I still think the problem here lies with the shop, how is it the insurance's fault that they do not want to pay a padded estimate? If they do not want to pay a FRAUDULENT work order, why should you want or have to? Id be curious to see how the shop cameup with more than just a few hundred dollars to tear down the vehicle. Obviously, if they were willing to cut down the "teardown" price from 6400 to 2k, that should be your biggest red flag, no shop would cut anything down that much if it was legit. They need to cut off about another 1700 then they will be at the price of a teardown lol. This could be an issue you need to bring to the attention of the B.A.R.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:38 AM

Seems that you are not the only one having a problem with them....

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl...ed=0CCwQ4gkwAA
Old 09-15-2011, 08:39 PM

Update for you guys....

I finally found out how much my insurance wants to give me for my car this week. They are giving me fair value so I am happy with that.
But they want to deduct the amount the claim they paid the body shop for the tear down (as mentioned earlier). How much the insurance pays for such work is not explicitly stated in the declaration so I am going to have an attorney who specializes in contract law look at it. Im also trying to figure out if I can have some sort of recourse against the body-shop for
raping me as well. Ill keep you guys updated.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:44 AM

apparantly the only problem is the shop. even if the insurance does not cover the full amount of the teardown, they provided enough for a normal cost of a teardown somewhat. shop= no good in my opinion