California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Any auto insurance experts here?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any auto insurance experts here?

A few weeks ago I was involved in a car accident and, based on the extent of the damage, knew it would be a total loss. I hit a car and destroyed my front drivers side.
I had the car towed to a body shop and inspected. A (second) adjuster from my insurance visited the shop to see how bad the damage was. This was required because
the first inspector had checked the car while siting in my mothers driveway and was only able to evaluate the body damage but not the suspension and/or frame damage.

When I had the car towed to the body shop, they wrote out a quote- which I signed off on- for more than $6000 just to tear it down. I knew it would be expensive b/c this is one of the best shops in LA. So I get a call today from my adjustor and he says the damage is terrible and the repairs are too costly so it will be a total loss. Unfortunately, they wont pay more than $65/day for storage (body shop is charging $85) and they dont want to pay ANY of the cost incurred to tear the car down. Otherwise, it will all just come out of the settlement which has not been determined as of yet.

Can the insurance even do this and/or is this supported by CA law? I have full coverage through 21st but I am a bit stumped. I tried doing some Google-ing but
nothing came up. Anybody care to help?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:19 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

well if the issue is as it appears to be, the storage fees, talk to the shop owner and bring it up with them. most shops will just disregard their storage fees especially for a total'd car and move it into the corner of the shop and collect their daily fees.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

You are the insured, not the insurance company or adjuster.

It's the job of your adjuster to talk to the body shop and negotiate prices. The settlement check will take care of all your needs. No need to worry.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:37 PM

Insurance companies are required to pay for reasonable storage and reasonable teardown fees. If you do not think what they are doing is "reasonable", contact the department of insurance.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by 22calbr
Insurance companies are required to pay for reasonable storage and reasonable teardown fees. If you do not think what they are doing is "reasonable", contact the department of insurance.
is the term "reasonable" open to interpretation?
Old 09-07-2011, 11:55 PM

no claims adjuster will authorize 6k just to a tear down a car, that's absurd... adjuster should be able to determine the estimated cost of the repair of the cost from the examination.. Plus most body shops will use a eye ball estimate to get a ball park off the obvious parts that would need to be repaired/replaced + labor. Of course they may find more damage or determine its going to cost more once they start repairing and tearing it down. But most shops will store the car for no charge and wait until the adjuster comes out to the body shop to do a estimate. I mean he should be able to make a decision to repair or total the car the day he visits... Most shops i dealt with when i did claims didn't charge a storage fee while the car was awaiting the claims adjuster to come. Most pretty much would only charge for storage once the car was determined totaled because they won't be doing the repairs so they want it out of the shop for other cars. Then we would require the insured sign off the transfer of the car to us the insurance company so we could have have it towed away. We would need it signed and sent back to us with 48 hours otherwise they would be responsible for additional storage fees. $85 seems high just storing a car but it its only couple days so it shouldn't matter especially since they are going to take possession of the car to get towed away from the body shop to the insurance company storage facility to begin with... Once we got the signed form car would be towed out of the shop that day or the very next morning. Sometimes it is the body shop that is the pain in the ass to deal with, wanting all these BS fees for services, repairs, labor, storage, etc... We usually tell them to go F themselves and call them out on the fee and alot of times we would agree to median. I mean its been a while, since I worked claims but I wouldn't imagine it changing that much and it being that different among insurance companies.

21st Century is owned by Farmers now you probably have either a farmers claims adjuster. They are usually pretty good with claims service.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Drew523
no claims adjuster will authorize 6k just to a tear down a car, that's absurd... adjuster should be able to determine the estimated cost of the repair of the cost from the examination.. Plus most body shops will use a eye ball estimate to get a ball park off the obvious parts that would need to be repaired/replaced + labor. Of course they may find more damage or determine its going to cost more once they start repairing and tearing it down. But most shops will store the car for no charge and wait until the adjuster comes out to the body shop to do a estimate. I mean he should be able to make a decision to repair or total the car the day he visits... Most shops i dealt with when i did claims didn't charge a storage fee while the car was awaiting the claims adjuster to come. Most pretty much would only charge for storage once the car was determined totaled because they won't be doing the repairs so they want it out of the shop for other cars. Then we would require the insured sign off the transfer of the car to us the insurance company so we could have have it towed away. We would need it signed and sent back to us with 48 hours otherwise they would be responsible for additional storage fees. $85 seems high just storing a car but it its only couple days so it shouldn't matter especially since they are going to take possession of the car to get towed away from the body shop to the insurance company storage facility to begin with... Once we got the signed form car would be towed out of the shop that day or the very next morning. Sometimes it is the body shop that is the pain in the ass to deal with, wanting all these BS fees for services, repairs, labor, storage, etc... We usually tell them to go F themselves and call them out on the fee and alot of times we would agree to median. I mean its been a while, since I worked claims but I wouldn't imagine it changing that much and it being that different among insurance companies.

21st Century is owned by Farmers now you probably have either a farmers claims adjuster. They are usually pretty good with claims service.
So should I tell the insurance adjustor to deal with the bodyshop? He wants me to take care of the bills one way or another.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by S2FARSI
Originally Posted by Drew523' timestamp='1315468530' post='20953433

So should I tell the insurance adjustor to deal with the bodyshop? He wants me to take care of the bills one way or another.

The insurance has absolutely nothing to do with the shop, you the car owner are responsible, the insurance is merely responsible for reimbursing the car owner. If you signed an agreement to the shop saying you were authorizing them to do a 6000 dollar teardown (which is insanely high for pretty much any type of teardown) then you ultimately are responsible for that even if they are overcharging (insurance will only pay by the book what a teardown costs) Now on to the issue of storage, there are caps on the dollar amount the shop can charge per day, and how much they can charge overall (not sure if its gone up but as of last year it was 50 per day inside storage, and $1500 total) If the insurance totals your car and pays you out for it, then it is their car at that point and they will pay the storage/admin fees due to the shop, but I can tell you right now there is no way in hell they will pay $6000 just to tear the car down. Over the years, the line has gotten really blurred, but never forget that anything you authorize, you are responsible for. Just because you have insurance doesnt mean you can just sign off on anything and have them pay, otherwise they wouldnt be billionaires. Any good and reputable shop will most likely work with both parties though to make everything smooth.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Italia
Originally Posted by S2FARSI' timestamp='1315469840' post='20953462
[quote name='Drew523' timestamp='1315468530' post='20953433']

Now on to the issue of storage, there are caps on the dollar amount the shop can charge per day, and how much they can charge overall (not sure if its gone up but as of last year it was 50 per day inside storage, and $1500 total) If the insurance totals your car and pays you out for it, then it is their car at that point and they will pay the storage/admin fees due to the shop,

Any good and reputable shop will most likely work with both parties though to make everything smooth.
[/quote]

Exactly what I am trying to say, well said

Once its totaled, the insurance will work with the body shop for any fees incurred.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Back-cracker
Originally Posted by Italia' timestamp='1315501033' post='20954625
[quote name='S2FARSI' timestamp='1315469840' post='20953462']
[quote name='Drew523' timestamp='1315468530' post='20953433']

Now on to the issue of storage, there are caps on the dollar amount the shop can charge per day, and how much they can charge overall (not sure if its gone up but as of last year it was 50 per day inside storage, and $1500 total) If the insurance totals your car and pays you out for it, then it is their car at that point and they will pay the storage/admin fees due to the shop,

Any good and reputable shop will most likely work with both parties though to make everything smooth.
[/quote]

Exactly what I am trying to say, well said

Once its totaled, the insurance will work with the body shop for any fees incurred.
[/quote]

Well yes on that part, that is the easy stuff. Where it gets bad is that he, the car owner, actually authorized a $6000 dollar teardown which he will ultimately be responsible for paying one way or another to the shop. With that being said, its still hard to believe a teardown would be $6000 or anywhere close to that, is the OP somehow confusing the teardown price with maybe a ballpark estimate to repair the vehicle that they wrote? I tell you one thing, if shops got $6000 to tear down a car, thered be a hell of a lot less doctors, dentists, and lawyers in the world.

Quick Reply: Any auto insurance experts here?