California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Another Vicitm of Profiling by the Cops

Old 10-01-2009, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Back-cracker,Oct 1 2009, 08:37 AM
Those are the standards for new cars.

(1) Noise emissions of competition off-highway vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1998, shall be limited to not more than 96 dBA, and if manufactured prior to January 1, 1998, to not more than 101 dBA, when measured from a distance of 20 inches using test procedures established by the Society of Automotive Engineers under Standard J-1287, as applicable. Noise emissions of all other off-highway vehicles shall be limited to not more than 96 dBA if manufactured on or after January 1, 1986, and not more than 101 dBA if manufactured prior to January 1, 1986, when measured from a distance of 20 inches using test procedures established by the Society of Automotive Engineers under Standard J-1287, as applicable.

Off highway can do 96 >1998 and 101<1998, regular cars, is less.

If you read the 50 feet rule again, "produces a maximum noise level that exceeds the following noise limit" Which means if the OFF road produces more than the standards, then it is subject to be tested 96/101 <>1998
I think you are miss reading. You're confusing the 50' rule and the tail pipe rule. One is for offroad and one for onroad.

The 50 foot rule also applies to any sound coming from the vehicle such as music.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Back-cracker,Oct 1 2009, 08:48 AM
Read it again..

The Department of Motor Vehicles shall not identify any
new off-highway motor vehicle, which is subject to identification and
which produces a maximum noise level that exceeds the following
noise limit

(Means this below is the standard)

"1) Any such vehicle manufactured before January 1, 1973.............................................. ............92 dBA

(2) Any such vehicle manufactured on or after January 1, 1973, and before January 1, 1975...........88 dBA

(3) Any such vehicle manufactured on or after January 1, 1975, and before January 1, 1986...........86 dBA

(4) Any such vehicle manufactured on or after January 1, 1986.............................................. ......82 dBA

"

Any OFF road is subject to identification IF it exceeds the MAXIMUM noise level... which is what I outlined above.
And what does off road have to do with S2000's? Are we running rally?
Old 10-01-2009, 09:03 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

here are the 'off highway' sections in their entirety, including sections previously posted. It is all about 'off highway', ie. off road vehicles. This should not apply to us. The sections posted on the first page of this thread are the only ones that apply to us i believe..and those clearly state the 95dB rule.

[QUOTE]38365.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chairmnofthboard,Oct 1 2009, 09:56 AM
I think you are miss reading. You're confusing the 50' rule and the tail pipe rule. One is for offroad and one for onroad.

The 50 foot rule also applies to any sound coming from the vehicle such as music.
Perhaps I'm reading it wrong...

DAM IT.. I'm going to call a CHP right now (someone I know)

I'll get you guys answers in a little bit if he responds to me call.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum,Oct 1 2009, 10:03 AM
here are the 'off highway' sections in their entirety, including sections previously posted. It is all about 'off highway', ie. off road vehicles. This should not apply to us. The sections posted on the first page of this thread are the only ones that apply to us i believe..and those clearly state the 95dB rule.
I think you might be right, I did see something about a microphone and 10 feet test. Let me find out.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum,Oct 1 2009, 09:03 AM
It is all about 'off highway', ie. off road vehicles. This should not apply to us.
This is for like dirtbikes and green tag vehicles. right?

I think BC just made a booboo lol.

It's ok, we all do it.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, this has been the most densely informative thread about exhaust and sound laws
Old 10-01-2009, 11:41 AM

I have to question the logic of calling cops pigs on a public forum. They do read the boards and will target a brand just because of how they are described. Why wouldn't they?

It is what it is, they are in charge and if they want to make your life hard they can. Just like the high school bully that would kick your a$$ because the mood struck him.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by WFO Racer,Oct 1 2009, 12:41 PM
I have to question the logic of calling cops pigs on a public forum. They do read the boards and will target a brand just because of how they are described. Why wouldn't they?

It is what it is, they are in charge and if they want to make your life hard they can. Just like the high school bully that would kick your a$$ because the mood struck him.
I also have to question the logic of someone who believes cops read car forums and then spreads the info to all other pigs who then develop a personal vendetta against a particular car model....

if a few cops/pigs DO actually read S2Ki.com, most likely they are NOT the type of cops that some of us here despise. They may simply be a car enthusiast as well.

I am not against all cops, only the pigs that pull crap such as pulling over a car that hasn't really done anything to deserve it. Even if I weren't affected, I would feel the same way about it happening to any one else.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by WFO Racer,Oct 1 2009, 12:41 PM

if it "is what it is" do you simply accept anything that someone of "power" does to you? Do you accept your ass kicking from all bullies and cower away from them?

i understand the concepts of "justice" and "punishment" and whole-heartedly adopt them myself, if they were to actually apply. Here, i do not feel they apply.

there's also called "abuse of power" which is what a good number of cops do from time to time, as they are all human.

Quick Reply: Another Vicitm of Profiling by the Cops