California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Another Vicitm of Profiling by the Cops

Old 09-30-2009, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Another Vicitm of Profiling by the Cops

So a few weeks back, I got pulled over in Old Town by a freaking Motorcycle pig. I was driving below the speed limit since there was a lot of traffic that Thursday night, and I was driving top down, no music on, and just chattign with my passenger.

Before you know it, a motorcycle puts on his lights and signals me to pull over. I'm like...wtf...i didn't do anything so what could the issue be??

He pulls me over and asks me to pop my hood. Prior to doing so, he asks if I have any modifications and I tell him, yes a intake with a CARB sticker. I have nothign else modified and am stock.

There I am, an asian guy with a lowered Honda (and a front license plate ) pulled over with a cop looking through my hood. After about a minute, he realizes that indeed nothing is "wrong" with my car and tells me he's giving me a modified exhaust ticket. He tells me its correctable and so I just need to get it "fixed and signed off"

He also added that "I pulled you over because your exhaust was loud...oh no it wasnt, it wasnt loud at all." That left me scratching my head?? My exhaust is a very tame Espelir exhaust with silencers installed, so its as loud as stock, unless I completely gas it.

So now, my question for u guys is this: My good friend also has an AP1 Berlina that is still completely stock. Would I be safe to swap our license plates out and just drive his car in? I dont have a stock exhaust to swap out and it seems like too much work to get it swapped out with my friend and then install my exhaust back on. I guess the only way they know is if they check VIN numbers, but the cop didn't copy down my VIn when he gave me the ticket.

Any experience or advice??

Thanks all
Old 09-30-2009, 01:09 PM

old town?
Old 09-30-2009, 01:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol, i don't think that's a good idea. if it's not loud take the car to the CHP and have them listen to it. if it's under the allowed decibel like you say they'll just sign it off
Old 09-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Exhaust noise is not profiling. I know "white" people (on this board) that is pulled over. 40-50+ years of age. Names need not to be mentioned
Old 09-30-2009, 01:14 PM

have it signed off and file a complaint. fix it tickets are $25 now. not something i feel like paying because a cop is a tool.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure yours says modified exhaust or modified mufflers, i got one before and the ticket is modified exhaust, my local pig department wont sign it they told me it's a state ref. whereas a modified muffler they can just visually inspect and sign off.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:21 PM

How is this profiling by the police? You have a modified exhaust, something that is illegal...
Old 09-30-2009, 01:33 PM

i define this as "profiling" because that night I counted numerous mustangs, corvettes, "higher end" cars that were easily modified in "illegal" ways with performance parts making much more noise. Of all cars, why did this motorcycle CHOOSE to pull me over besides my exhaust?

And actually, modified exhaust are not ALL illegal. I am not declaring my exhaust legal by any means, but the cop cannot conclude that it is illegal unless he's certified in exhaust identification (which he was not from his actions). He tried wiggling my intake around to see if it was loose, and then told me "it feels securely installed" WTF??

I easily passed smog with this exhaust as I bought it with the car from a Acura mechanic.

can i take the decibel test at the state ref and get it signed off??

The cop did say i could go to a sheriff's dept as well....true?

**the ticket is for modified exhaust and not muffler**
Old 09-30-2009, 01:37 PM

where was this?? i got one last night too for the same thing
Old 09-30-2009, 01:38 PM

OLD TOWN PASADENA!! I am never driving on Colorado there at night again. there were about 20 cop cars driving around and a few pigs on bikes too.

Quick Reply: Another Vicitm of Profiling by the Cops