California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Another S2000 in the news. :(

Old 05-31-2012, 08:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.ocregister.com/news/coast...way-crash.html

Duy Nguyen, the driver of a car that went out of control and collided with another vehicle, was pronounced dead at the scene, coroner’s officials said.

NEWPORT COAST – A 24-year-old Santa Ana man was killed and a 47-year-old Laguna Beach woman was hurt in a two-vehicle crash on Pacific Coast Highway Wednesday night.

Duy Nguyen, the driver of a Honda that went out of control and collided with another vehicle, was pronounced dead at 7:35 p.m. at the scene of the crash, coroner's officials said. The woman in the other vehicle, identified by the California Highway Patrol as Lori Clinton, suffered major injuries and was taken to Mission Regional Hospital.

The crash occurred just after 7:30 p.m. on Pacific Coast Highway at El Morro State Park, the CHP said.

According to the CHP, Nguyen was driving a 2005 Honda S2000 and was traveling at a high rate of speed on northbound Pacific Coast Highway as he approached El Morro.

Nguyen crossed through the center median, into the southbound lanes and crashed into the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze that Clinton was driving, the CHP said.

Southbound Coast Highway was closed until shortly after 10 p.m. as investigators went over the scene.

Contact the writer: amolina@ocregister.com or 714-704-3795
RICHARD KOEHLER, FOR THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
Old 05-31-2012, 09:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn. I wonder what really caused him to veer into oncoming traffic? Did he lose traction on a turn? Trying to avoid an animal? Really sad to hear.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by North Star
Damn. I wonder what really caused him to veer into oncoming traffic? Did he lose traction on a turn? Trying to avoid an animal? Really sad to hear.

Yes, I think he was driving too fast and the momentum on the bend carried him over to the other side and then bam. Very tragic indeed, I hope the lady recovers and is ok. For Duy's family my condolences because he was a young guy with a lot to live for. Some of the comments if you read are harsh and classless from people, its always easy to talk sh!t when it doesn't involve you or anyone you know. Yes he shouldn't have been driving at dangerous speeds, but tell me how many of you have not gunned your car down a long stretch of open road? He did not know when to let up and slow down and it cost him his life unfortunately.

I've seen many Lambos, Ferraris, Porsche's,NSX's etc blast down PCH all the time luckily nothing has happened except speeding tickets.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:34 AM

Some of those people in the comments are harsh and disrespectful. We don't have enough evidence to know exactly what happened - however he was speeding, but at least not street racing. It's tragic and he certainly didn't deserve to die for it, but it should serve as a warning for those that drive recklessly on public roads.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:44 AM

I'm glad the lady he hit did not die.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:20 PM

RIP. Sad to see another young car enthusiast die like that. I was there 2-3 minutes after the accident and stopped to check if people are ok. The guy in the S2000 must of lost control and probably had been sliding sideways when he hit the other car in the other lane. The passenger side was quite smashed and there were long skid marks left on the road from the S2000. The other car was a Chevy, but I think I saw a black sports car accross the street. May have been the DB9 that was mentioned earlier in the news.

Drive safe guys.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:53 PM

I found this out today at work, he was my friend from high school. We were a little like rivals, got into a lot of trouble.
I knew this day would come, I am lost with words. He got his s2000 around the same week I bought mine late last year.
Planned to meet up but didn't have the resources to find him. Last time I saw him was 3-4 years ago on the street. Pulled over to have
a chat and catch up on things. To be honest he was reckless, he had many warnings. That being said, he was a good person, forever apart of my childhood, I can never forget him.

I'll miss you Mikey.

Gyung, you're right, he didn't deserve it.
Wish for a speedy recovery for Lori.