California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Android outgrows Iphone by 3:2! :)

Old 01-11-2011, 03:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Android outgrows Iphone by 3:2! :)

http://www.choiceopinion.com/its-official-...0-percent/2383/

It’s official: Android is Fastest Growing Phone OS, beats iPhone by 30 percent

We all know how popular iPhones are right now, with its edge in the U.S. market over Google. However, over the last half year it’s the Android system that is finding the fastest growth rates.

The Nielsen polling company launched a survey in November inquiring about smart phones. Just over 40% of American adults chose mobiles running the Android OS within the previous half year. A little more than 25% bought the iPhone from Apple. BlackBerry hauled in less than 20%.

Considering the figures, Android to iPhone ratios stood at 3:2, while Android to BlackBerry at 2:1.

The polls showed a dramatic jump in Android popularity from June to November, amounting to an almost 15% increase. Clearly, the Android OS is leaping ahead of the rest.

In fact, another survey by ChangeWave Research last September uncovered the same trend. Inquiring into what kind of phone would be bought in the next three months, more than 35% consumers replied that Android would be their choice, up from 30% in June. The news was bleaker for Apple. Their iPhone plummeted from 50 to just over 35%. That means they lost too much ground in too short a time. Another survey regarding purchase plans has yet to be released to the public by ChangeWave.

Neilsen did not concede to Apple’s complete loss, though. Android’s popularity is gaining far faster than iPhone’s, but Apple is still the leader in market share for the U.S.

Just the iPhone alone from Apple maintained a 28.5% market share of smartphones in November. Meanwhile, all devices operating Android OS’ amounted only to 25.9%. BlackBerry showed a strong 26.0% share.

The margin of error for the survey taken into account, the numbers were solid. “Apple may have a lead that Android has yet to break, but it’s too early to tell for sure,” Nielsen blogged.

The advantage Apple has held above Android has dwindled too much since June. The market shares difference was wide between the two. Android had a mere 15%, while Apple’s iPhone stood tall at almost 28%. The iPhone has not even gained a full percentage, but Android saw a leap of 10!

Net Applications released their own stats from Net metrics showing a 2:1 ratio of iPhone over Android users. Their numbers showed that 1% of all Internet users I the world use iPhone. BlackBerry showed 0.13%, while Android OS devices snagged a mere 0.4%.

Hard numbers of sells tells the same story. Of all the smartphone manufacturers, not a single one has sold as many of their devices as Apple has the iPhone. Apple sold over 14 million iPhones in the third quarter of last year, while Samsung, the world’s largest Android device manufacturer, sold merely six and a half million.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's because they aren't regulated to one/two models at a time. maybe increase marketshare if they offered the iphone to all carriers.

Androids like Windows, they whore themselves out to every manufacturer. I like Android though, waiting for the release of the Motorola Atrix 4g. Dual core, 4 in screen and 1 gb of ram in a phone.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:16 PM

^

So when apple sells well its "good marketing/selling" and when someone else does it they're "whores"?

I think selling to every manufacture is great, means competition, unlike apple's constant monopoly they cast upon themselves.

Specs sound great but Motorola phones are............... EEEEK from my experience.

As for Apple: The fact that they're too greedy to let someone else produce is exactly why they'll fail just like they have with computers. How many times has apple got under anyway? They just keep getting bailed out.

Besides people always forget you can buy a PC and put MAC OS on it if you want to have a mac at 1/3 the price..... unless a clever white paint job is worth a 300% price markup to you that is.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Drew523,Jan 11 2011, 04:12 PM
that's because they aren't regulated to one/two models at a time. maybe increase marketshare if they offered the iphone to all carriers.

Androids like Windows, they whore themselves out to every manufacturer. I like Android though, waiting for the release of the Motorola Atrix 4g. Dual core, 4 in screen and 1 gb of ram in a phone.
Ninja edit foo!

Actually, Mac is like Android, see Android is Linux based and really that's what MAC OS is anyway with a pretty mask.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm waiting for AT&T to come out with a new Droid phone worth switching to so I can dump my iPhone.....

Motorola Olympus seems like a pretty good option but there is no release date yet
Old 01-11-2011, 03:23 PM

Why not switch from AT&T?????

That's like waiting for Mazda to produce a solid motor for a car.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:25 PM

I didn't ninja edit anything other than corrected some misspellings...

I meant Android is like Windows in marketshare. they whore themselves to any manufacturer.

I know android is linux based and mac is unix base.

Plus it is "good marketing" if you can sell a inferior product (hardware wise) to someone for 2x-3x the cost and they go home with a friken smile on their face. Made owning apple hip, cool, trendy etc. Shoot, if I can legally get away with the robbery/rape that Apple is doing, I'd do it too.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:27 PM

1st i'm not a fan boy of either OS.

the numbers for this year will be interesting with the iPhone being introduced to the verizon network
Old 01-11-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by FilthyAp2,Jan 11 2011, 04:21 PM
Motorola Olympus seems like a pretty good option but there is no release date yet
Motorola Olympus = Motorola Atrix 4G for ATT.

Schedule release is February/March, announced at CES last week
Old 01-11-2011, 03:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=05TurboS2k,Jan 11 2011, 04:23 PM] Why not switch from AT&T?????

That's like waiting for Mazda to produce a solid motor for a car.

Quick Reply: Android outgrows Iphone by 3:2! :)