California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Air purifiers - Which one?!

Old 05-19-2006, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CrAzYNeSs,May 19 2006, 12:26 PM
Hey Meth!

I decided to go with a honeywell. I feel that a TRUE HEPA is essential. My only debate now is whether to get the one that BC has (w/o the remote) or the newer/higher model that costs about 20 bucks more but comes w/ a wireless remote.

I have the websites that you can purchase them for relatively cheap. I did some extensive research on price and effectiveness. I'll let you guys know when I get home - I did not bookmark the page at work.

Regards,
JL
Get the remote for sure. When you are lying down the last thing you will want to do is get up to change a speed or setting.

Ryan
Old 05-19-2006, 10:25 AM

Consumer reports said that this Whirlpool model was one of their best picks: Whirlpool AP45030R. They don't have a lot of detail other than a price of $250. Their #1 choice was by a company called Friedrich, but that one costs $500.

I didn't see Whirlpool mentioned here so I thought I'd add it in case somebody has one.

I've got a Hunter HEPA filter that I've had for like 8 years. It was like $200 back then. Filters cost about $20-$30 bucks each. It has the ionizer that you can turn on and off too. The ionizer is not all bad because it causes the smaller alergen particles to clump together, making them big enough to get caught in the filter. It's amazing how black the white filter will turn in 3 months.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by meth,May 19 2006, 09:39 AM
do any of these units come in black?
That is EXACTLY what I was thinking too! Haha.

Meth you are right on - that is exactly the one. BTW - where can I get this 20% off coupon? Thanks in advance!

-Jeff
Old 05-19-2006, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by CrAzYNeSs,May 19 2006, 01:01 PM
That is EXACTLY what I was thinking too! Haha.

Meth you are right on - that is exactly the one. BTW - where can I get this 20% off coupon? Thanks in advance!

-Jeff
i just get bed bath and beyond coupons every couple weeks in the mail cuz i buy stuff there, everybody does.

if you want one, pm me a mailing address. i got like a gang of em. i save em for times like these, damn 20% is a lot!
Old 05-19-2006, 12:40 PM

You have to know the size of the room and that way you can figure out what size air purifier you need by looking at the CADR number (Clean Air Delivery Rate). Go to the CADR website, and it rates all air purifiers and how well it filters out certain pollutants such as tobacco smoke.

I bought a Hunter on Amazon, for a great deal. Honeywell's are great but they tend to be loud. Only get one if you specifically need it, like if you have people allergic to pet dander, or smoke, or other respiratory irritants in the house. Otherwise, just keep your floors clean with a vac. Those HEPA filters can start getting $$.

Also, change the heater/ac filter often. That's often overlooked.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by DJSang,May 19 2006, 12:40 PM
You have to know the size of the room and that way you can figure out what size air purifier you need by looking at the CADR number (Clean Air Delivery Rate). Go to the CADR website, and it rates all air purifiers and how well it filters out certain pollutants such as tobacco smoke.

I bought a Hunter on Amazon, for a great deal. Honeywell's are great but they tend to be loud. Only get one if you specifically need it, like if you have people allergic to pet dander, or smoke, or other respiratory irritants in the house. Otherwise, just keep your floors clean with a vac. Those HEPA filters can start getting $$.

Also, change the heater/ac filter often. That's often overlooked.
DJSang,

I was thinking about that too! However the Honeywell ones claim that the filter can be REUSED by means of vacuming it every couple of months. However, the PRE-FILTER needs to be switched every three.

-Jeff

BTW - VERY TRUE about the AC/HEATER filter.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:23 PM

I think those Costco models are suppose to blow like that. Mine does the same. I haven't opened it up but im guessing its a squirrel cage blower. Too bad it doesn't show specs I want to see how many watts this thing uses. Its been on in my room for 30mins and I can notice less visible dust when viewed with a flashlight.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by meth,May 19 2006, 09:08 AM
costco, $128, its the only one there.

i am happy with it, it looks effective, the filters look like car filters and you can vaccum them when they get dirty so you buy this unit, then there is no more things to buy afterwards. i got it cuz the maintenance looked easy, cheap, and the filters look effective.

my only gripe so far, this is my second one after returning the first is, it doesn't fan straight, it blows a little off to the side. i am beginning to think they are all like that.
I bought one from Costco today too... same thing.. I dont think yours is defective

I'll be putting the Honeywell in my room. The costco one can stay in my computer room
Old 05-21-2006, 05:47 PM

Hey BC, how did it take for your filter to look like that?
Old 05-23-2006, 09:09 AM

http://www.abcvacuumwarehouse.com/vacdetai...0CX+Air+Cleaner

Well..I gave my sister the one I bought from Costco since her room is smaller..and I am planning on buying that model. 229 shipped. Very good reviews on it, generates no ozone, and quiet and effective, plus it looks cool

Quick Reply: Air purifiers - Which one?!