California - Central California & Sacramento Central California & Sacramento S2000 Owners

We had the BEST TIME in Mendocino!!!

Old 10-28-2002 | 02:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello, friends!!

Shannon and I just got back from our weekend in Mendocino. This was the most fun, most incredible weekend I've had since...uh...the dry run to Tahoe!!
The weather was gorgeous. Nothing but sun the whole time we were there. And the drive...I still can't find the right words to describe how awesome it was. It was my first time there in the S2000. Believe me...there will be more times. Hopefully with y'all.

Shannon and I at the start of our journey. Cleared for takeoff!!

We spent about two hours driving on straight, boring freeways. Then we arrived at Highway 128. That's where the fun began! The road is full of curves, hills, and valleys. Much of the drive is lined with oak trees on either side of the road. I felt like I was driving in a tunnel most of the time! It was so beautiful. And the curves are VERY INTENSE. This has to be the most fun road I've had the pleasure to drive. You thought I was grinning after the donuts in Tahoe? I have a serious case of perma-grin right now. I tried to get a good pic, but the lighting was very poor due to the oak trees and the sun causing too much light/dark. But after Boonville, the road takes you through the Redwoods. That's where I snapped this....my all-time favorite road sign:

And it wasn't just an empty promise....the road delivers with curve after curve. All 5 senses were tantilized with VTEC revs and beautiful scenery accompanied by the sweet smell of fern and Redwood. It was incredible:

We break out of the forest, but the fun doesn't end:

I am having the time of my life on these roads!! I guess I got a little carried away...I look over at Shannon as I grin from ear-to-ear, and she's not looking so great. It turns out all those hills and hairpins made her carsick!! I took it easy for the rest of the trip, but the damage was done. Sorry, Shannon!!
Old 10-28-2002 | 02:24 PM

We reach the top of the hill and are warmly greeted by this:

It's a picture-perfect day on the CA coast. No fog, no overcast, just sun and WARM TEMPS. This place is pure heaven in the S2000 with the top down. Unless you are Shannon with a queazy stomach.

The road is still well-paved and full of twisties. We (I) enjoy every hairpin until we reach our destination at the Little River Inn. Here, the S looks out over the Pacific toward her homeland in Tochigi, Japan. Shannon takes a breather.

We open the door to our room, and our jaws drop as we are greeted by this view:

We unpack and relax on the balcony. I am simply astounded at the view from there. It is breathtaking! Shannon goes inside to lay down and ease her queaziness (sorry, Shannon!!) while I stay outside and admire the sunlight glistening off the waves of the deep blue Pacific. Out of the corner of my eye, I see an otter frolicking in the water. He was having a good old time splashing around doing flips and rolls. He kept me entertained for a good while. The day slowly fades, and I was lucky enough to snap a killer pic of one of the most perfect sunsets I've ever witnessed. Simply awe-inspiring:

Old 10-28-2002 | 02:25 PM

Another partial pic of the view from the room:

The next morning, Shannon and I head into Mendocino. It's a glorious day. Sun for miles, and nice warm weather. Here's a pic before we leave:

I pull over for a quick pic of the S with the cozy little coastal town of Mendocino as a backdrop.

I love this little town...so much charm, so relaxed, and so beautiful!

We arrive and I get the perfect parking spot:

Shannon and I spend a FUN-filled day shopping and eating GREAT food and just checking out all the cool stuff there is in Mendocino.

More to follow...
Old 10-28-2002 | 02:35 PM

We both spent entirely too much money (Shannon bought me a GREAT leather jacket ), but we had a blast. The town really quiets down on Sunday night. It was practically desolate when we left.

We top off the day by having dinner at the Albion River Inn. For those of you who have never heard of it, it's one of the best restaurants I've ever been to. They have a master chef named Stephen Smith who comes up with some really creative, REALLY tasty dishes. The food is great, but even better is the view of the Pacific out the window. We went at night this time, so we just enjoyed the food.

We came back this morning. It was a little chilly out, but I drove the whole way home with the top down. I had no choice...the trunk was too full to fit the boot for the top!! Well, Shannon got her revenge. I started out cautiously, because I didn't want her to get carsick again. Then I slowly upped the ante...a little more....a little more...now I'm absolutely SCREAMING through the twisties, all the while asking Shannon if she's holding up okay. She's doing fine. I'm grinning from ear to ear. Somebody gets on my bumper after I get stuck behind a truck. I grin some more. The truck pulls over to let us by. The car tries in vain to keep up. It's tires are howling in protest. It's cutting across lanes to make the radius larger so it can go faster. I'm staying strictly in my lane, not a sound can be heard coming from my tires.
I really lay down the hammer, and the car soon becomes a distant memory. We finally reach highway 101. What happened next? I got CARSICK!! Now it's Shannon's turn to laugh at me!! I felt awful the rest of the way home.

I feel better now, and I have a whole new respect for the S2000. No other car has ever been able to make me carsick!! Seriously...the way the car handled through those tight turns was amazing. She never let me down. I was really blazing through those turns!! The car was made for roads like this. There is no question about it. Somehow, I felt like I was nowhere near the car's handling limits. I honestly don't know how people are wrecking their S2000s. You would have to be nuts to want to go fast enough to induce a spin. I felt like I could have pushed harder, but I don't have the guts. It was exhilerating enough (and almost scary at times) at the pace I was going. No need to risk it.

I am planning a January trip up there. It will be a group drive this time. The Little River Inn will contact me this week to arrange the dates and such. You guys will absolutely LOVE this trip. More info will come soon.
Old 10-28-2002 | 05:57 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know whether to hate you out of jealousy, or love you for posting those great pics!
Old 10-28-2002 | 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally AAHSUM, Rob. What great shots. I'm envious
When we went to Fort Bragg in May, we found the most twisty, windy, road, it too was in the mountains...in fact we had to cross mountains to get to the ocean. What a gorgeous site it was to come out of the hills, to see and smell the ocean. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Gotta love it.
Can't wait for our next get together
Camille
Old 10-29-2002 | 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW Rob, I felt as if I was with you on the trip. Your descriptions are so enthuastic and full of punch. I feel for Shannon, because when Donny takes turns like that I also get car sick. but good to know that pay backs are a b___h. Glad you had a fantastic time. Hope to see you soon. to Shannon. Jackie
Old 10-29-2002 | 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob and Shannon, welcome back!! Well' from the pictures , we'll have to make that a for sure trip in the spring!!
Old 10-29-2002 | 08:13 PM

Thank you all for the nice comments. I tried to describe our trip as colorfully as possible, but believe me. I can't find words strong enough to convey what an incredible experience it was. Even the pics-as good as they are-don't cut it. You guys have to come with us next time. I promise you will not be disappointed.