California - Central California & Sacramento Central California & Sacramento S2000 Owners

Thunderhill Fulltrack Drift/Grip Event

Old 06-22-2009, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunderhill Fulltrack Drift/Grip Event

Tuesday August 11th, ThunderDrift will be holding a very special fulltrack drift event at Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, CA.

This event is very special in number of ways. We're doing a hawaiian-shirt day, so everyone bring out your crazy hawaiian shirts! Also, there have been numerous requests for a special AE86-only fulltrack event at thunderhill, so I'm offering a special discount to AE86 owners to see how many will come out. If it's successful, we'll do an ALL-hachi event in 2010.

This event will also be a brilliant opportunity for those of you who are drifting in, and spectating at Formula D at Evergreen to hit an awesome drift event on your way home. Thunderhill Raceway is conviniently located to the entire west coast! 10hrs south of evergreen, 10hrs west of Miller Motorsports park, and 10hrs north of Spring Valley and WSIR.

As at all TD fulltrack events, a grip session will be provided for those who are interested in gripping a world-class road course. Be sure you choose the grip option when completing the online-registration form.

Car/Driver Requirements:

- No leaks of any kind

- Battery tiedown must be stock or better. (No duct-tape/zipties/or other janky crap)

- Interior Safety Gear/Roll Protection must be stock or better.

*** If you have a convertible, please call for more info. You will be subject to further safety requirements.

- Helmets must be SA2000, M2000 or newer.

- Closed Toe Shoes, No sleeveless shirts.

***ALL ASPECTS OF TECH (INCLUDING THOSE NOT MENTIONED) ARE SUBJECT TO THE APPROVAL OF THE EVENT CHAIRMAN.***

Entry Fee is:

$200 per driver

$180 per driver w/hawaiian shirt

$160 per AE86 driver w/hawaiian shirt

Thunderhill's 15-turn 3-mile road course features oncamber and offcamber banked turns, lots of elevation changes, and arguably the best 5-turn linkable section in the western US. Come enjoy drifting of epic proportions combined with some great hawaiian festivities.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:04 AM
freescopesdad

how many grip groups? How many grip sessions for my $180? How about a schedule? Thanks.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:07 AM

The way we generally run it is 3 groups. Beginner Drift, Expert Drift, and Grip. Each group will get at least 5 20min sessions throughout the day.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will you be sweeping the track off before the grip session?
Old 06-23-2009, 01:50 PM

^ absolutely not.

well, we will if it gets REALLY bad... but no, probably not. It's been fine in the past, and odds are it won't be wet this time of year.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:11 PM
freescopesdad

So you throw novice, intermediate and advanced all together in one grip session? Could be dangerous. How many cars in the grip group and what are the passing rules?
Old 06-24-2009, 08:49 AM

Generally there are very few grippers. If we end up with 30+, maybe I'll make a beginner/advanced grip group.

Grip Group Passing is open w/point-by.

BTW, I didn't just pull all this stuff out of my "you know where", I've been organizing events for 3 years, I'm a trackday instructor, and I've worked for Thunderhill Raceway for 7 years. I'm always open to suggestions, but just so you know, I have a good idea of how this stuff SHOULD work.

I really only open the grip group to supplement entry #'s for the drift event, but like I said before, if we get a major turnout of grippers, changes can be made.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:22 PM

TD just joined Twitter.com!

if you're on there, follow us!

http://www.twitter.com/thunderdrift
Old 06-26-2009, 06:38 AM
freescopesdad

Hey conepirate don't get so defensive. My questions are just that - questions - and they are valid. If you are allowing 30+ cars in the grip sessions with open passing, you SHOULD state as much. As an instructor and track employee, you also should know that mixing drivers with varying skill levels in an open passing environment can be an invitation to trouble. I think I'll pass on this one.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:18 AM

freescopesdad,

I apologize if my response seemed defensive. I was merely trying to put out there that I'm not a first-timer in any of these aspects.

and to clarify what you said above, I didn't post that I'd be letting 30+ cars in grip sessions with open passing because that won't be the case. I guess I wasn't clear enough when I stated above that the grip session has *historically* been just to supplement event entrant #'s, and I've never ended up with more than 15 or so in it.

If I did end up with 30+ grip entrants, I'd gladly break them up into smaller groups for exactly the reason you mentioned: running in heavy traffic with different skill-levels combined with open passing can be dangerous. I assure you I won't let that happen.

again, sorry if I came off as defensive. Just trying to be informative

Quick Reply: Thunderhill Fulltrack Drift/Grip Event