California - Central California & Sacramento Central California & Sacramento S2000 Owners

Sound when shifting

Old 07-01-2005, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound when shifting

2002 40k

I just noticed (maybe because I turned the radio down for once) that I am hearing two distinct sounds when I shift. It appears to be associated with the pushing in and letting off of the clutch as I shift. Its best discribed as a combo squishing/rubbing (not necessarily metal) sound. It makes the sound a block with sandpaper makes rubbing across a piece of wood. It seems to happen shifting thru all gears. The car shifts easily through the gears and the linkage appears quiet and the shift is smooth. Again I am not sure if this is a normal sound as I just recently changed my mufflers and I am still getting use to the new sound. However this sound is distinct and I can't recall ever hearing it before. Any ideas? I have a call into the dealer (Todd) as well, but I am going on a drive to Oregon in the S starting this afternoon so I was hoping for some info before then.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:23 AM

One dealer in town referred to a news letter Honda received regarding the need to lube the clutch release fork and the release bearing. This was sent to correct reports of a noisy, clunky clutch. Not sure this is what I'm experiencing.
Still waiting to hear from the god of S2k repair Todd from Elk Grove Honda.

Any other experiences with this or info?
Old 07-04-2005, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Stockton if you need some help.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:29 AM

Just an update to my problem...........

XVIPER is the moderator of the UNDER THE HOOD FORUM.
Xviper Wrote:
I was originally going to suggest that the noise you hear is simply the rush of hydraulic fluid going through the orifices and line between the master and slave cylinder.
However, with this latest statement, it makes no sense as it should make this same noise both when the engine is running or not. The only difference this motion makes between a running engine and a stopped engine is that the throw out bearing (aka - release bearing) is spinning in one case and not in the other. All other parts of the clutch will undergo the same motions and forces in both cases. If you are certain that it doesn't make this noise when the engine is off, then I will now suggest that it is related to the T.O. bearing needing greasing. Make sure you operate the clutch in the same manner as when the engine is running (ie, same speed, same force) and listen again. Unfortunately, this is a major job to get access to it. You would have to lower the engine and pull the tranny off. If it's only noise of the kind you describe, I would say leave it for now. When the T.O. bearing is about to go, it will show signs of binding and other resistance type noises like clicking. The release fork can be more easily accessed but the noise it makes tends to be more of a squeaking sound. I'm not in favor of the release fork as being the culprit in your case.

4play2k replied:
Xviper may have hit it on the head in his diagnosis of this problem.
I took my S into a shop and the experienced tech/owner took it out for a spin.
Well at first he didn't hear the noise but after I pointed it he finally heard it. Like I said its a very subtile sound. After a lengthy test drive he diagnosed it as the beginnings of a possible throw out bearing problem. The sound along with some subtile vibes he feels when pushing in the clutch leads him to believe this. Since I am no longer under factory warranty (just over 40,000K) I think I will run it for a while since currently the noise is not affecting performance. I also have an extended 100k warranty so I guess there is no hurry. Thanks all for your comments and info. Keep up the good work Xviper!

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR COMMENTS AND INFO