California - Central California & Sacramento Central California & Sacramento S2000 Owners

Sacramento 2009 Track Days Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which model?

The R4 has a decent track reputation but the R4S doesn't appear to be durable on heavy cars.

There are a few other R4 models that i'm not that familiar with.

I think I'm gonna give the EBC Yellow Stuff a try. They are the most affordable ones I can find with a decent rep and I somewhat trust not to disintegrate and eat my rear rotors on the track.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:45 AM

I forgot which model, but also tried EBC red and worked great. Only complaint was it melted like butter so it wont last too long. Dunno about yellow though
Old 01-20-2009, 02:30 PM

The yellow is supposed to be a streetable track pad ... we'll see how well that works out.

I have no doubt that the EBC red will suffer the same problems as my Hawk HPS did. I won't go there.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:45 PM
freescopesdad

Ayjay, how hard is it to swap pads? Harder than the S? I would go with dedicated track pads and just swap them out before and when you get home. I think ANY semi-track pad will just cause you problems. Just my .02...
Old 01-21-2009, 04:05 PM

It's fairly easy to swap pads and I imagine i'll probably end up doing this as i get more events under my belt.

However, for right now, I wanna play around a little bit with the semi-track pads to see how they will hold up. I kinda wanna get an idea of what the semi track pads feel like. It'll give me a good point of reference when selecting a track pad. I don't want to jump straight from crap pads to track pads without knowing what is in the middle. I might change my tune pretty quick tho if i end up destroying another set of rotors or 2.

Additionally, I've talked to other owners of my car who made recommendations for some semi-track pads that they've used for multiple events. We'll see if i come to the same conclusion.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:22 PM

Ron, I think you said you have been using Cobalt pads. How do you feel about those? Are you using the GT-S? XR2?

Have you had any issues with pad durability?

I ask because I've seen from a few different sources that its possible for the Cobalt pads to crumble away after they reach a certain wear point. Something to do with the brass pins that cobalt uses to attach the meat of the pad to the backing. I think i've even seen this before on S2ki and recently convo'd with a Z owner who had this experience.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:17 AM
freescopesdad

I have the Cobalt GT Sport pads and I like them a lot. They are long-wearing, easy to modulate, and warm up fairly quickly on the track. I scare the s**t out of everyone on the way home however, as they are noisy when cold.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:12 AM

I see.

Perhaps i will put the GTS on my "to try" list.

Do you swap pads when you get home or do you use them all the time?
Old 01-22-2009, 03:20 PM
freescopesdad

They are pretty hardcore. I swap them as oon as I get home. Like I said above, they would freak out everyone around me in traffic, as they are very noisy until they get hot. I can swap my wheels and pads in about 30-40 minutes so its not a big deal.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:30 AM

Do those GTS pads bite right away or do you find you need to heat them first to optimize the bite?

Quick Reply: Sacramento 2009 Track Days Thread