California - Central California & Sacramento Central California & Sacramento S2000 Owners

Rolling Audio Does It Again

Old 06-18-2002, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rolling Audio Does It Again

We can actually hear the stereo with the top down, overcoming the road noise. At the May BBQ at Blair's, we started talking to Neil, A few days later we got together and figured out what kind of sound we wanted from our car. After a bit, Neil came up with some suggestions. For starters the factory speakers had to go, so we replaced the fronts with Crystal 6 1/2 components and added Crystal 5 1/4 components in the rear. It was concluded that Blaupunkt amps would be a great choice with their new technology these amps are smaller than others while providing more wattage, plus they run cooler and fit under the seats providing a stealth install. COOL HUH! For more information go to www.blaupunktusa.com Now to get the clarity out of the speakers we went with a 4-channel Blaupunkt amp (100 watts x 4) with the high end of the system taken care of, the low end was next (subwoofer). Donny and Neil agreed a 10" MTX 8000 series subwoofer would be perfect for sound quality and Neil would be able to build a sub box to fit in the tub area of the trunk and sit flush with the top level of the carpet. We then had to pick out an amp to match the wattage of the sub. To drive this serious sub a 2-channel Blaupunkt amp was chosen, it provides 300 watts x 1-bridged rms and has an adjustable bass boost control knob. The sub hits hard and sounds good. Now that the high and low end is taken care of, Neil wanted to add a capacitor. It helps store battery juice when really pushing the system, giving the amps the power bursts they require. We had a tough time figuring out where to put the capacitor, look at where we put it Next is the head unit. Everyone had different taste on this, but Neil and I thought it just didn't sound quite right without a Pioneer, so in went the Pioneer DEH-9400MP, MP3 player with DSP. This head unit does everything, but gets you a cold . To check out all our pictures go to www.s2ki.com/imagecatalog/user/DJAdams or see our car on display at SacS2kdays in front of Rolling Audio's table and hear it for yourself. It's been two weeks now and no road noises. Thanks again Neil for saving us, and for doing a professional and thorough job. Donny & Jackie
Old 06-18-2002, 11:22 AM

Drool!
Old 06-19-2002, 05:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sweet setup!! Can't wait to hear it. Jackie, is that freshly Zaino'd paint I see on the car???

Looking GOOD!!
Old 06-19-2002, 05:54 AM

Hey Station, Actually I Zanioed the car after the install, but thanks for the compliment!
Old 06-19-2002, 08:18 AM

Did the new door speakers and spacers fit under the door panel without modifications? It looks like the spacers might interfere with the door panel.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:25 AM

I'll help answer any questions about this install or any other questions in general.

Smyroad, yes they do fit with out any modification to the door panel. The wood cut spacer you see in the picture is an exact copy of the original black plastic basket that held the factory speaker. The basket is not wide or deep enough to accomodate the new speaker so a template was made and I was able to use the same mounting holes in the door to screw in the new wood spacer. I also installed dynamat material around the location as well as inside the door directly behind the speaker to avoid any "tinnyness" sound and to get better mid-bass response.
There are alot of things we did that there are no pictures of...such as mounting the crossovers for the front speakers inside a plastic pocket on the door panel, running new speaker wire (14 gauge) through the front door rubber wire loom and cable routing to allow the spare tire to come out with no problems.

Total time for this installation was about 14 hours. If there are any more questions from anyone, please put them up.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:20 AM

looks pretty tight...Neil, good job!
Old 06-19-2002, 09:13 PM

Hey Neil, you did great job on my Blk/Blk s2k about a month ago. I was wondering if I could move up a notch on the amp. hehehehe, just taint loud enough. Also, I wanted to have you hard wire my Radar detector. You were running late that night so it was no bid deal. Can you work that one in for me. I will not be at the meet this weekend. I fly out to Hawaii tomarrow. So I will hook up with you in about two weeks.

Glenn
Old 06-21-2002, 08:54 PM

Wow, extremely nice install. I'm impressed that you were able to get some high powered amps underneath the seats. I noticed some kind of gasket material between the 5 1/4 drivers and the rear panel, what is it? Are you using it as a panel stiffener or is it for sealing any air gaps? Thanks.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:59 PM

Hi Scooby. Good eye about the 5 1/4 rears. It is a 1/4 inch thick MDF wood circle covered in black carpet. It is used for a couple of reasons.
1) yes, it does help stiffen the panel for better mid-bass
2) the depth of the speaker and size of the magnet on the back made it difficult to fit into the panel because of a metal support directly behind the middle area of the panel.