California - Central California & Sacramento Central California & Sacramento S2000 Owners

How safe is your S2000 @ DAVIS?

Old 10-04-2008, 11:35 AM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts
Angry How safe is your S2000 @ DAVIS?

Hey guys, I didn't want to be rude and jack the other Davis s2000 thread, so here it goes:

I will be attending UC Davis next year (as a junior) and that timeframe also corresponds with the fact that I'm currently shopping around for an s2000.

--Chances of me moving to Davis are 99%
--Chances of me getting an S are equally high, except I'm worried about the whole "buying my dream car and taking it to a college campus/town" aspect...

So my main question is How safe is your S2000 @ DAVIS??

I will be leasing an apartment and pretty sure parking will be outdoors, hopefully covered. I've been reading up on the other threads and I see a few of you guys talking about new dents and tires being slashed and paint being keyed and that would absolutely kill me! Having said that, I'm even more worried about parking outside and getting my top slashed and seats stolen. Do you guys use seatlocks? Do you cover your cars (or does that attract too much attention)?

Lastly, and somewhat unrelated, is it worth it to have a car (especially the S) in such a bicycle-centric town like Davis? With the campus and all?

So my opinion to buy the S2000 now (versus after graduation) is up for grabs--I'm smitten in love with the car, want to sell my current car, and jump into an S, but please give me your honest thoughts! Thanks in advance!
Old 10-04-2008, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll leave this up here for a bit then it'll be merged w/ the davis thread.

I would bet say that the davis members know best which "part" of davis is safer. City has changed since I left there so my opinion wouldn't be as accurate. I've seen a few S2's parked outside when I go there and would believe it's a decent place.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

well one thing's for sure. if you get your s up here, stay far far away from a|x boi for some reason he gets all the attention (keyed multiple times, bashed in tail lights, etc.)

having the s in davis is fine. really depends on your area. i park mine outside my apartment (covered lot) and i drive it to campus everyday. i would opt to live as far away from campus as possible, and to stay away from party areas where drunk students are walking around aimlessly. ie dont live next to the dorms, frat row, etc.

there has been vandalism in davis, but that's life. you can't avoid it. it can happen anywhere. in the 2 years i've had my car with me here, i've lost one antenna, a few fender clips (still don't know what they were trying to do here..), and had bubble gum spit on my bumper.

though that's not to say people target the s. my friend has had his 94 accord broken into. thieves likes to target apartments during vacation when they know students leave their cars unattended for a few weeks.

other sorts of vandalism that i've heard of is a whole parking lot full of cars being spray painted.

for a while, car break-ins were pretty heavy in certain parts of town. all of this can be avoided by the usual: don't leave things in plain sight that a thief might target (stereo, sunglasses, backpack, whatever).

i do not have seat locks, and i do not cover my car as i drive it everyday. in the event that someone steals my seats, insurance will cover it.

you can do without a car in davis, but i would die if i did not have my car here.

keep this in mind, we only drive a honda. sure the majority of college student's drive corollas accords camry's and tc's. but there are also many students in bmw's, mercedes, lexus, etc.

hope this helps.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No matter where you live, the S gets alot of attention...and anywhere there are young drinking kids, your S is a target. If you don't have a garage for the S, the odds are it will get messed with.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get an alarm ASAP & a bat! jk
Old 10-05-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you can get your dream car, then you have to roll the S. You cant come to the meets and drives in a beater Pick up the S2k and daily drive it