California - Central California & Sacramento Central California & Sacramento S2000 Owners

HELP/ADVICE!...Misfires and hesitant idle

Old 04-04-2012, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP/ADVICE!...Misfires and hesitant idle

Hey Sac S2Ki. I'm seeking some help or advice on what to do to fix my car.

First, let me explain what happened. As I was driving out of the parking lot from work, my car hesitated and sounded like it was bogging out. It picked up slowly when I accelerated and the CHECK engine like came on and then starting blinking. I immediately pulled over and popped my hood to see if there was anything wrong, didn't see any signs of loose wires or vacuum hose but the car was bogging and hesitant on idle and acceleration. I shut the car off for a few seconds and turned it back on, same thing, bogging and hesitant on idle and acceleration. When i got home, diagnosed my car with an OBD2 reader and code P0304 came up stating Cylinder #4 Misfire. Was thinking it might be the coils in cylinder #4 so swapped coil with cylinder #1. After resetting the code, I started my car back up again. Same issue but now code P1399 stating Multiple Cylinders Misfire. So today me and my cousin, who's a Honda Technician, assisted me in doing my valve adjustments and we also replaced my spark plugs. Started up the car and still the same issue. We haven't done any compression testing or leak down testing yet. Going to check the fuel to see if there may be a clog somewhere in the fuel system or lines.

If anyone has any experiences of this issue happening or knows what might be the cause of this issue, please reply or respond to me. I've looked at some post but I guess not all issues are similar but please, let me know if anyone has any advice or solutions on troubleshooting this. Thanks, Bruce_S2K.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:16 PM

Did you happen to over rev your engine ? Sounds like a valve issue. A compression / leak down will tell.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yah if you have narrowed down that the coils and plugs are good, and that the valve adjustment was done correctly, then you do have a valve leaking. Sucks to say but the S2000 is known for valve problems for a couple reasons, 1) not giving the engine enough abuse, they are built to run and sometimes need to be revved to clean out that build up that causes valves to stick, but not too much that it will be over revved and cause a bent valve. 2) if the valves are not kept up on and adjusted periodically it will cause valves to sink into the head and leak. What's the mileage and the history of the engine? More than likely it is not a fuel issue, because the fuel system and filter is lifetime and would not just be 1 cylinder missing all the time, and if the CEL flashes it's because it will melt down the Cat if u continue to drive, a fuel starv would not flash the CEL.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:13 PM

Thanks guys for the replies. I've just done the valve adjustments and change out my sparks plugs with new ones. One of my buddy is coming over so gonna swap test the coils to see if that may be the issue first. Currently, my mileage is at about 123k. It's an 01. Never had any issues other than the A/C compressor going out this past summer. Motor has been fine since I got the car in 2005. I haven't done a compression test nor a leak down yet so that's what's next if the coils are not the issue. What may be the cost if it does get down to valve issues? I'm crossing my fingers that its not a valve issue and possibly just coils. Let me know if pi guys have any other advice or suggestions. Thanks, Bruce_S2K.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:57 PM

Here's the outcome. So my friend who has an 03 S2000 came and we swapped out all 4 ignition coils with his on. It worked! Revs smoothly and no hesitation or stumble when accelerating. Yes! I was thinking that I was going to have to cough up a lot of money to get valves worked on and dig deep in my pockets. But anyhow, thanks guys for all the advice. Now just gotta find new coils to replace these old ones. Not sure which ones are out so just gonna pick up 4 brand new ones.

P.S. For those reading this thread, not all of your issues may not be the particular ignition coil problem. But for mines, it was so a quick fix.

Thanks again for those who gave me advice on this problem shooting. Bruce_S2K.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad it worked out for ya, and didn't have to spend a bunch. Now you can come see me for a valve adjustment to be sure they are good and tight and will not cause any issues in the future. PM and I'll hook you up with a good price.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you pick up coils? I have a set of 4 at home I think