California - Central California & Sacramento Central California & Sacramento S2000 Owners

hello! I need some help from you guys.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hello! I need some help from you guys.

hello, guys!

My name is Jay, and I live in Toronto, Canada. Very good friend of mine is going to Sacramento area and probably need to buy a car as soon as he arrives there. I wanted to help him out with the process but I am really not familiar with DMV system in states.

I read this page and I am little confused with this 'New vehicle' rule.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

I have few questions for you guys.

1. If the car is 50 state certified, can he buy a used car (more than 7500miles) from for instance NY and bring it there and register?

2. If he can, what's the best & easiest way to get it emission tested and safety inspected in California? (up here in Canada, I can just bring it to any certified mechanic, and get it done)

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 11-30-2008, 10:30 PM

so he is likely wanting to buy a car outside of California, then register it here?
if so, the ca dmv will want the vehicle to pass smog first and foremost, followed by a trip down there to fill out the application (no biggie), pay for registration fees, and hand over the title issued from that state. Then they will send the Cali title to the lien holder or owner.

I had to register my S2 into Cali and had to jump through those hoops while holding one foot and keeping one eye close. Good Luck!
Old 11-30-2008, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by kakahoya,Nov 30 2008, 04:53 PM
hello, guys!

My name is Jay, and I live in Toronto, Canada. Very good friend of mine is going to Sacramento area and probably need to buy a car as soon as he arrives there. I wanted to help him out with the process but I am really not familiar with DMV system in states.

I read this page and I am little confused with this 'New vehicle' rule.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

I have few questions for you guys.

1. If the car is 50 state certified, can he buy a used car (more than 7500miles) from for instance NY and bring it there and register?

2. If he can, what's the best & easiest way to get it emission tested and safety inspected in California? (up here in Canada, I can just bring it to any certified mechanic, and get it done)

Thanks in advance guys!
1. Yes he can. Should be no problem. Make sure friend has bill of sale from person/place he got it from. They may ask for it to determine registration fees.

2. All but "TEST ONLY" places should be able to smog the car. No safety inspections here in California other than the DMV VIN verification process for out of state cars. Friend should bring car to DMV at the same time because IIRC they will have check if lights,horn, hazard, wipers work. I think that is all they inspect initally.

HTH
Old 12-01-2008, 09:57 PM

Thanks everyone!
I guess my friend has to tow his car to DMV, since he won't be registering his car until that moment. or is there a temporary permit kind of thing in CA? then maybe he can get that temp permit before he buys the car and drive it down to DMV right after.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:38 AM

If your buys the car out of state your friend can always "ride" the out of state reg sticker until it expires. (not that I'm condoning doing this) Most states have temp reg after you buy a car (if new). If the car is currently registered out of state (out of state plates) IIRC you have 10 days from entry to register in california.

Assuming your friend drives it into california and there is no issues with car go to any smog place (except test only) to get it smogged. Once it passes go to DMV (select location close to friends address). Drive car or bring on trailer if you want for an initial inspection (VIN verification). Fill out paperwork then get new plates and reg.

Sucky thing is you have to get there early (before they open) cuz depending on where you choose to go it gets crazy 15 minutes after they open. You may want to tell your friend to scope out the local DMV before they actually go there.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:56 AM
freescopesdad

they can also call dmv and make an appointment
Old 12-03-2008, 12:32 AM

appointments don't seem to work for me where I go. I still end up waiting... It never still made sense to me why I have to wait when I have an appointment.