California - Central California & Sacramento Central California & Sacramento S2000 Owners

a disturbing bill

Old 07-16-2006, 11:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default a disturbing bill

here's a little something showoff found on the socal evolution forums. its a bill that can potentially take away our right to fight tickets in court. please help the cause. like it says over here, i'm pretty sure everyone's gotten a ticket at one time or another, some rightfully given a ticket and others not. weather you are one or the other, it doesnt really matter, think about it this way, if the bill passes, then officers can write up however many tickets they want to depending on how they're feeling at the moment and anyone who gets it is pretty much forced to pay up and take the points on driving record.

fight for your right.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=211585

A new bill AB2571 is running through the california assembly aimed at destroying your ability to fight your ticket in court. Only 1% of tickets issues are taken to court and the court system and police are crying that they have to spend too much time in court. Here's an exerpt of the bill.

This non-controversial bill requires Judicial Council to study
ways to improve the efficiency of traffic court procedures.
According to the author's office, this study will explore ways
to decrease the number of traffic citations that are challenged
in court, thereby decreasing the amount of time police officers
have to spend in the court house instead of on the streets.

Here's what you do, go to http://192.234.213.69/amapsearch/framepage.asp

Put in your address and zip code to find your assembly member. Call your assembly member and have the operator leave a message with the assembly member.

Your message should be this.

I [state your full name and full address] completely disagree with the pending bill ab 2571. This bill will destroy my rights to my day in court to fight a ticket. Making sure this bill is quashed is very important to me, my family, and local friends in your district. I would like a written response from assembly member [ enter is/her name] on her views of this bill.

You can say something like what I wrote above. Please everyone, don't put it off, call your assembly member. I made my very first call to my representative today. Once this bill is passed, what's next, not being able to challenge certain misdemeanors (because the courts are too full....ouinnnn ouinnnnn), then what's next, you're not allowed to challenge felonies.

Post this message in as many car enthusiast blog site as possible. You've sat on your butt complaining when you get a ticket that it's not fair. Everyone here's probably got one. This is your way to stick it to the man! If you don't do this for yourself, do it for others. Once a law has passed, other than the courts striking it down, it is almost impossible to remove from the books.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow! i'm making the call right now.