California - Central California & Sacramento Central California & Sacramento S2000 Owners

Detailing

Old 07-21-2009, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing

so this last Friday night I decided to detail the S. It was way past due for a waxing, and I just ordered a Porter Cable so I thought I would put it to use.

Anyways, I had a bunch of swirl marks. After 6 hours, it looked significantly better (wash, claybar, paint cleaner, polish, wax, interior cleaning) but still I had some swirls....First time using a PC or any orbital buffer for that matter. I was using light cutting pads and regular cutting pads that were free when I ordered my PC from detailed image. The max speed I had it on was 3.

I used the PC on my headlight and was able to get the haze out of it, which was pretty awesome.

I know there are some people in here that are pretty good with detailing with orbital buffers? I don't know if I'm using the wrong products? (currently using Mothers for basically everything) or wrong technique? but, I would like to get some instruction on using buffers or how to approach a wax job; ie; what pads, polishes to use?... Internet videos only work to a certain degree.

Willing to pay the person that helps me (with food or monies!)
Old 07-21-2009, 09:27 AM

im planning a detail meet sometime so be on the lookout. Itll happen before end of aug. and hoping to get local detailer Tekstar out here and do a demo detail on MaiMai's Fit. (DD outside park car) Be on the lookout
Old 07-21-2009, 10:05 AM

^oh sweet.. I'm there!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:54 AM

that would be a cool meet.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

basically, mother's products are not the greatest.

also, if you are polishing, the paint cleaner before polishing is pretty much not necessary at all. if anything i would have done it after polishing to remove any oils left from the polish, but that can be taken care of with an IPA wipe down.

typically with the PC, if you want to get correction you'll have to at minimum use speed 5. speed 3 is more for finishing off.

everybody has their own opinions on the best products to use, but as an example i use menzerna polishes with lake country pads (all through detailersdomain.com)

good luck
Old 07-21-2009, 11:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CASTRO,Jul 21 2009, 10:27 AM
im planning a detail meet sometime so be on the lookout. Itll happen before end of aug. and hoping to get local detailer Tekstar out here and do a demo detail on MaiMai's Fit. (DD outside park car) Be on the lookout
btw i'm no pro so don't be mad at me

my car is in horrible condition. pretty much gave up keeping it clean since my s is my dd, parked outside, and lately has seen more than its fair share of love taps also, this last year of school has been pretty hectic and i've had to focus on more important things than the s.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:49 AM

^
NEVAR! there can be no other more important than the S.... unless... you got a Ferrari? j/k j/k

Still working things out with Iri$h on a probable date (nohomo)
Old 07-21-2009, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pads make a huge difference as does the polish...menzerna ftw. Swirls need full spd on a pc and I recommend using the intensive polish from menzerna.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:17 PM

A detail meet would be great.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:39 PM

i just detailed my car last wednesday. it took me about 3 hrs to start waxing and then my neighbor helped me with the rest so basically i just watched him detailed my car. he also said that my wax arent so good so he used his own to wax mine LOL...looks like i got somebody to do my detailing for me . it took him approximately 5 hrs to do everything. in return, i just gave him a little something something

Quick Reply: Detailing