California - Central California & Sacramento Central California & Sacramento S2000 Owners

Check Engine Light

Old 05-28-2009, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have bad coil packs lemme know. I have a few spares to try.

One easy way to tell if they are bad is if they are all brown and where the two lower plastic pieces meet there will be a gap. Like the plastic is separated. Compare them to the other CP's.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:27 AM

Yesterday, I was going to do the coil packs check.

So I plugged the OBDII scanner in to take a reading and was going to clear the two
existing codes P0303 and P1399 before I switch the coils.

Plugged Scanner in and took a reading and it popped up 4 codes this time:

P0300
P0301
P0303
P1399

So, I went ahead and cleared the above codes, started the engine to see if they come back. Let the engine idled for a few minutes, nothing still. Pressed read on the Scanner, it passed.

So I stepped on the gas pedal and revved to about 3000 rpm and let go. The rev dropped to about 100 rpm and when it's almost stalled, it went back to idle rpm of about 1000.

Revved a few more times and the same thing happened. I decided not to even bother checking the coils since now cylinder 1 is misfire as well with the code P0301.

I decided not to even do anything with it and will take it to Elk Grove Honda on Friday.

Now let me ask you this. Should I even attempt to drive the car to the Dealership (about 7 miles away) or should I have it towed there.

Anyways, I am really frustrating about all this but I guess shit happens.

I told Keen that I was going to sell it and I can see the concern and sadness in his eyes. Hahaha.

Anyways, thanks a bunch Andy and John for your inputs and offered your suggestions. They are greatly appreciated.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:47 AM

i'd be sad too if my S were gonna be sold haha, lets hope that its not anything major. A quick diagnosis should point to the problem and if anything a leakdown and compression test is your best friend for checking the motors health. Keep us updated
Old 05-29-2009, 12:10 AM

Did this happen recently? Like after you got gas? If you read a little further into the threads I posted it seems like your symptoms are typical of:

Bad gasoline
bad/fouled plugs
bad coil packs (did you compare any of them?)
clogged injectors (due to bad gas)
MAP sensor (?)

Does the car even idle smoothly? Let us know how it goes. At least it should be covered by warranty. Just make sure ALL MODS are taken off if you have any installed.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:31 AM

Did this happen recently? Like after you got gas?
Yes

If you read a little further into the threads I posted
I read more then just a little into the threads you posted. As a matter of fact, I think I read all the threads in the forums relating to CEL issues

Bad gasoline
bad/fouled plugs
Hopefully? I read into about the plugs got loosen etc and did check to make sure that they're not. They're not.

bad coil packs (did you compare any of them?
Only Cylinder 3 was misfire at the time I took a reading using the OBDII scanner. After I did some more reading on the threads and with your suggestion; I attempted to switch coils to see if they were the issue. So I plugged in the OBDII scanner to take a reading and to clear the previous codes but got two new ones. So I got discouraged and didn't do anything.

clogged injectors (due to bad gas)
Hopefully this is the case?

MAP sensor (?)
I did the reset and whacked the sensor as a matter of fact, I even pulled it out and gave it a blow job to make sure it's not dusty and caused the problem? (riceboi, don't you get all excited now!)

Does the car even idle smoothly?
The car idles somewhat smoothly because I can feel just a little bit of shaking that I haven't felt before. However, if I step on the gas and bring the rpm up to about 3000rpm and let go, then it would drop the rpm down to like 100rpm and almost to a stall then it would go back up to normal idle rpm.

Let us know how it goes. At least it should be covered by warranty
I sure will update to let you guys know what the symptom (s) is/are. Hopefully it's not something serious and covered by the warranty.

Just make sure ALL MODS are taken off if you have any installed
Thank you for this advice Andy! My nephew works at Elk Grove Honda in the servicing department. He too told me to take everything off and put back in stock form. We had just the cold air intake installed and it is off and the stock one put back in.

Thanks again Andy and John. I am looking forward to the upcoming S2KDay, and am hopeful that we have the car back in great running condition and join you guys on this event.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:39 AM

Good luck Robert!
Old 05-29-2009, 08:25 AM

just make sure to not use NOS brand fuel injector cleaner.

You dont wanna be like that Gixxer biker guy who put in the energy drink instead of the fuel cleaner

When you get the results report back here for a 2nd opinion as it may be a small problem that can be fixed without costly dealer charges
Old 05-30-2009, 11:16 AM

Hahaha, John that was funny with the NOS mixed with energy drink

Well, here is the update on the issue with misfire cylinders.

Turned out the valves were TOO tight!

So they did the valves adjustments and I was also informed that one of the gasket shows sign that it might be leaking in the future, and that they don't have one in stock, but since the car is still very new they don't think it needs to be replaced yet.

I told them to order the part and I want it replaced even if it shows the slightest sign that it will be a leaking issue in the long future.

They ordered the part I requested and said that it will arrive sometime next week and they will replace it.

As a bonus and it had been my tradition in the past since the year 2000. Every time they had works done on my car. They get treat to lunch and drinks.

So Chinese and pizzas for them for doing a great job taking care of my Son's car. for Elk Grove Honda Team
Old 05-30-2009, 12:51 PM

Does it still throw codes? I find it odd how the valves would get tight... Usually they loosen up and not tighten.

Good to know you have your car back though!
Old 05-30-2009, 09:22 PM

Hey Andy

My last post was just before I went to pick up the car. Picked up the car and drove the car with great care never passed 6000rpm. It seemed to run fine after 25 miles of driving under 6000rpm.

I was about to call it a day but something told me to take it around the blocks once more and hit VTEC.

So I hit VTEC but it didn't kick it as strong like it used to. It just didn't feel the same, I thought maybe because we're running the stock intake and was used to the CAI we had.

So hit VTEC once more, still the same. Then as I slowed down for the traffic light, the CEL came back on.

At this time I was around the blocks where Elk Grove Honda is. So I stopped in to drop it off again. It was almost 5pm at the time and I was told to bring it in on Wednesday since the Mechanic that worked on it is off until Wednesday.

Came home and plugged in the OBDII scanner to get a reading and got the same codes: P0303 & P1399.

So Wednesday I will bring it back in and they will continue to work on it. I am hoping to get it back by SAC2KDAYs but who knows.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light