California - Central California & Sacramento Central California & Sacramento S2000 Owners

Check Engine Light

Old 05-23-2009, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light

Hello all.

I've searched the forums but I am still having problem. Please read on.

About two days ago the CEL came on while was driving.

Yesterday, I drove the car to several Auto Zone and Kragen Auto Parts to see if they can pull the CEL code for me.

Unfortunately, they no longer offer the service.

Drove the car back home and reset the map sensor.

The CEL light went away. Drove for about 10 miles without problem, then we parked the car.

Today, we took the car out and drove for about 30 miles. The CEL came back on when we were almost home.

I reset the sensor map again and it went away for a good minute then it starts flashing 15 times and then went away.

It did that for about 4 times and now the CEL is "solid" on.

I just shut the engine and parked the car and here I am.

I would like your advices on what I should do from this point on. Because I don't want to take it to the dealership if it can be fixed easily.

The car has 34K miles on it and it is a Honda Certified car.

Thank you guys for reading and steer me in the right direction. I am hoping it's not something serious and could be fixed right away so I can take it to the upcoming Sac2KDays event.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:21 PM

Hmmm. I know the Auto Zone in W. Sacramento still pulled codes for free a year ago. May want to call there and ask.

Other than that, I am not much help. Good luck though, and keep us updated as to what happens.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:02 AM

Best thing to do is buy a cheapy OBD scanner. You can get them cheap (~$30 for basic reader) enough now from most auto places now. It does help to have one especially if you have OBD cars. Basic ones pull the code and erase it.

Or you can search here how to check the code the oldschool way. I lost the link but I believe its in "UNDER THE HOOD" section.

HTH
Old 05-25-2009, 01:02 AM

yikes, hope its not serious. ill grab the odb2 scanner off my camry and see if we could get a readning if you want robert.

just let me know when you are free. ill be free tomorrow (monday) so give me a call cause ill most likely be in the area for gym time.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:19 AM

Aahhh Castro is here for the rescue haha

John! That would be great!

I was going to buy an OBD scanner, then a friend that works at Autozone said that he has one and would come over to help me get a reading of it. Then he bailed out and said if he could come over another time right after I spent the money on two new cell phones. Haha.

John, it would be great if you can come over and help me get a reading of the code(s) to see what's going on with it before I take it to the Stealership. Haha.

I will be free tomorrow after 4pm and if you don't have anything going on around those hours then please let me know.

Much appreciated!
Old 05-25-2009, 01:21 AM

Haha John!

I just realized your post was made at 2:02am! LoL

Why are you up so late? Or was it up so early?

Old 05-25-2009, 09:40 AM

just got back camping! i was getting horrible reception up there when we were @ Burney Falls by Mt. Shasta. It's now 10:36am and just getting thigns together and doing some chores. Might be in the EG area later for a workout or hang out with Mai so just txt me if you still havent pulled the code and ill take the scanguage in the Camry with me. Hope its not something too serious
Old 05-26-2009, 11:41 PM

I pulled the following codes:

P0303 - Cylinder 3 misfire detected
P1399 - Manfacurer Control Ignition System or Misfire

Those are the two codes and EXACT descriptions that displayed on the OBDII scanner.
No "Manfacurer" wasn't misspelled by me just so you know.

Are these a major concern? What's next?
Since the car is a Honda Certified, should I take it to the Dealership or have it check out by an independent mechanic?

Thank you for your inputs.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:18 AM

swap over the coil packs and see if the codes follows the # 3 coil pack. If it does then you got a bad coil pack.

Could be an egg out valve guide. Best thing to do is to make sure you put it ALL back to stock if you take it to dealer.

Hope it's not the worst... Read below:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry14145043
Old 05-27-2009, 09:38 AM

Thanks Andy, I'll try switching the coil packs and see if one of them is the problem.

If the coil packs are bad. Do you know the part number for it or should any brand of coil packs work?

It also suggested that I add a bottle of seafoam engine cleaner to the gas tank. What do you suggest?

Thanks again for all your inputs. I am hoping nothing serious.

If the CEL comes back on after the above steps are taken. My next step is to replace all the spark plugs.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light