California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

wrecked my S2000 yesterday, need advice

Old 09-22-2002, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrecked my S2000 yesterday, need advice

The worst sound ever of bending metal and screeching tires heard through the open top of our beautiful car, an experience that should never be experienced by any of us, happened yesterday evening on Skyline Road (on the Oakland side). Someone drove by in a Silverstone/Black shortly afterwards and offered condolences... wonder if he'll read this. Both Driver and Passengers walked away without any bruises or bumps.

In a nutshell, she oversteered into a lateral skid and ran into the side of the hill on the opposing traffic side. There is frontal damage (fascia, bent hood, fenders, and airbox pushed up against the belts) and rear bumper fascia.

She is now in the tow yard, near Marin Honda. Do any of you know which Bay Area Honda dealer is good at repairing the mechanics and have a good contract body repair shop? Plus while it's at the repair shop, I would like for Honda to perform the service bulletin for the transmission rattling while decelerating.

Any advice would help. I'll have some pictures with the details of the story soon.
Old 09-22-2002, 04:01 PM

I've had some body work done at Marin Honda in early 2000 a few months after getting the car and was very satisfied. Hopefully I'll never have to go back for body work, but if I did, I would take it to them.
Old 09-22-2002, 04:14 PM

Ooops, I meant that the car is at a tow yard NEAR San Leandro Honda, on Marina Blvd.. I believe AAA will tow her to any Bay Area dealership, since I have the plus membership.
Old 09-22-2002, 08:18 PM

Hands down - MENLO HONDA in Redwood City! They repaired (mechanical, body, and installed a new top) for me and did an awesome job - ask for Will.
Old 09-22-2002, 11:20 PM

Talk to Todd @ Menlo Honda, say that Donny sent you, he will give you a good deal
Old 09-23-2002, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hams2k, dude, hope you're alright...
Old 09-24-2002, 07:46 PM

Thanks for the great advice you all. I sent her to Menlo Honda who apparently contracts out Superior Body Shop on Industrial Road in San Carlos. Randy understands how much we love our S2K's and assures me that I will be satisfied with the repair work. So I hope.

Thanks for asking... both passengers stepped out of the car without any bumps or bruises. Just a little tightness in the neck the following 2 days, but now, feeling fine.

So here's how it all happened. You can see the start of the skid mark which is the rear right tire, and the faint skid mark is the front right. Just beyond these skids was a deer. We managed to miss her, but the car went into a lateral skid. You can picture the angle of the car as it goes into the lateral skid.

A few yards forward... I remember here, all I could see in the windshield was a wall of earth.

Notice the white mark on the side of the hill. At this point, the car has just swung the rear around, and the mark is probably made by the front fascia between the passenger headlight and Honda emblem.

The impact whips the rear end into wall without scraping the passenger door. At rest, she was pointing away from the wall.

The front fascia was actually hanging off the front of the car, though badly tore up. It dropped to the ground as shown in the following pictures because of the tow truck.

The air bags did not deploy. I don't think we were going fast enough into the wall in a head-on angle for it to deploy.

I've got that sick feeling in my stomach right about now...

And then the rear bumper...

I regret having to show you all these agonizing pictures. This is one case where sharing the pain doesn't make any of us feel any better.

One thing I learned from all this: The S2000 is a super car. Few of us (me not included) can drive it to its full potential. However, the owner and primary driver of the vehicle will know the car by feel better than anyone else. You should use discretion when you let someone else drive the car, even if you are in the passenger seat. The guest driver may not be able to pull his/herself out of an emergency situation as well as the primary driver.

I drove back to the crash site on Redwood Road near Oakland to take pictures of where we spent 4 hours waiting for a tow truck. There are plenty of deer on this road especially during the evening hours. If you drive slow enough through it, you notice all the skid marks that lead off road. I must have counted well over a dozen.

Well, the past few days have been rough... but I do look forward to her return, which may take up to a month. Then onto Menlo Honda for tranny TSB's.

Take good care everyone. Drive safely. Hug your S2000 before you go to bed tonight.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:03 PM

i'm crying for you.

good luck
Old 09-26-2002, 08:59 AM

Sorry to see that,, but the good thing is you are both ok,,
Old 09-26-2002, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAM, actually it's great that you're sharing these photos with us as a reminder to us all, and some of those drivers with inflated egos thinking that nothing can happen... and especially me, the reckless driver!

Quick Reply: wrecked my S2000 yesterday, need advice