California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Wrecked my S2000 :(

Old 04-02-2002, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

Had a little accident this morning... on the entrance ramp from Steven's Creek westbound onto Lawrence Expy. northbound. I was behind some beat up old pickup truck full rusty lawn equipment and wheelbarrows encrusted with concrete. The light was red, and people were turning right onto the ramp as traffic allowed. The crazy little woman driving the truck saw a big opening in traffic, and started moving forward. I figured, like a logical person, that her movement indicated she planned to continue onto the on-ramp. Instead, she panicked (apparently) after about fifty feet and came to a complete stop halfway in the merge lane, and halfway on the ramp. I was looking behind me when she stopped -- and I ran right into her. My right front fender hit her left rear bumper. Being behind her, of course, insurance and the police agree it was completely my fault. $3073 of damage, estimated. The car is currently at Los Gatos Acura being repaired. Hopefully I'll have her back next week, good as new. They're going to have to repaint the hood and the passenger side door, apparently, to match the paint properly. Dammit. I'm pretty sure I'll have the S2000 withdrawal shakes pretty soon.

Is it okay to Zaino freshly painted bodywork?

- Warren
Old 04-02-2002, 01:02 PM

I'm not an expert on the paint curing process, and it probably depends on the specific curing method used and the actual paint composition, but I would wait several days, and if possible several weeks to make sure the paint is fully cured and hardened before applying any wax by hand or machine.

Just curious, Los Gatos Acura or Los Gatos Honda? If the latter, did you buy your S2K from them and if so how was the experience? I'm considering getting an S2K and they are the closest dealer to home for me.
Old 04-02-2002, 01:14 PM

Warren, sorry to hear of your accident.

Originally posted by RSouthern
Just curious, Los Gatos Acura or Los Gatos Honda? If the latter, ... I'm considering getting an S2K and they are the closest dealer to home for me.
I think Los Gatos Honda is about 50 feet away from Los Gatos Acura, on the same street. Or are you thinking of some other dealers?
Old 04-02-2002, 01:29 PM
Former Moderator

that sucks

I'll let you take mine out (w/ me shotgun) if you need a fix
Old 04-02-2002, 01:29 PM
pll

Originally posted by RSouthern
Just curious, Los Gatos Acura or Los Gatos Honda? If the latter, did you buy your S2K from them and if so how was the experience? I'm considering getting an S2K and they are the closest dealer to home for me.
Don't buy from Los Gatos Honda. Their sales people are scumbags. Their service department is good and highly recommended by many people on this board.

Warren, sorry to hear about your accident.
Old 04-02-2002, 01:30 PM
Former Moderator

OTOH, how is the left headlight? does it need replacing, but in moderately good condition?
Old 04-02-2002, 01:36 PM

chroot,

SORRY bout your accident today... as for the Zaino on new paint, the answer is a NO NO.
you have to let the paint cure and it can take up to 1 month.. you should never wax or polish a car once it just got finished repainted... you can however wet sand it to get rid of some orange peel though
Old 04-02-2002, 02:06 PM

RSouthern,

Los Gatos Acura -- they're a damn good body shop, and they're also a partner with State Farm, which means I don't have to do anything except write a check for the deductible. I have no experience with Los Gatos Honda.

Josh,

Thanks. M-m-m-must d-d-d-drive S-S-S-S2000.... and no, my driver's side headlight is just fine. You may not have it.

bayarea408,

It can take up to a month? Or it takes a month? I had a dent (on my driver's side), and had the paint spotted. I waxed it a few days after I got it back, and it continues to looks great. That was just a little spot though -- I'm bummed that half of my car is getting repainted for this.

- Warren
Old 04-02-2002, 02:07 PM

If anyone wants to buy some passenger side headlight parts, though, let me know. The black plastic on the back of the housing was broken, so the body shop guy said it was junk -- but maybe the bulb or the projector would be worth some money?

- Warren
Old 04-02-2002, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I know the feeling it has happened to me before. As far as Zaino, like bayarea408 says you need to wait for the paint to cure.

Rsouthern- I bought from LG HONDA, it was an ok experience but it was very pricey. If it was my own money I think I would have gone somewhere else.

Quick Reply: Wrecked my S2000 :(