California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Where is Northern California?

Old 01-21-2002, 12:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ask this question in all seriousness...

What is generally considered to be the beginning of Northern California and the end of Southern California? Is there a hard and fast line in the desert somehere?

Please help...!

Old 01-21-2002, 01:03 PM
pll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the South Bay Area (San Jose, Gilroy, maybe Monterey) is the usually the dividing line.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Not official, but:

San Diego to Santa Barbara=Southern CA

Santa Barbara to Salinas= Central CA

Salinas to Crescent City=Northern CA
Old 01-21-2002, 01:25 PM

Strangely enough, when looking at a map, one find that the San Francisco Bay Area is actually...GASP ...near the MIDDLE of the state, and that there is at least 40% of the state north of the Bay Area!

For all intents and purposes, people think of San Diego to about Santa Barbara as Southern Cal, and the things north of that as Northern, with the Central Valley sometimes being separated out and some of the Central coast like San Louis Obispo to Monterey?

the areas north of Sacramento and the Bay Area have recently begun floating a new term, " Upstate California". Uhh, whatever..they are truly NORTHERN California.

Confused yet Greg?
Old 01-21-2002, 01:29 PM

Its debatable.... Having lived here all my life I have been able to identify 4 regions north to south that different people will ascribe to different regions... Sothern Cal is probably the easiest... most people would agree that it extends all the way north to and including Santa Barbara... with Point Conception providing a geographical boundary... Next there is a region refered to as the central coast... some will tell you that this includes the Monterey Bay area others will say that the Monterey area is part of Northern Cal... I tend to think of the area that includes Monterey to the south and all the way north to the Somoma/napa area as the "Bay Area".... My main reason for this is that people that live north of the Somoma/Napa area tend to draw the southern boundary of Northern Cal someplace north of San Fran. For them anything south of Sonoma/Napa is Southern Cal. but any person from the Bay area will tell you they live in Northern Cal... This might all seem academic if it weren't for the fact that about every 10 years or so people start talking about splitting the state into two or more states... which then leads to this argument and a whole bunch of news coverage...
Old 01-21-2002, 01:58 PM

I think you have to look at the Counties. To me, Santa Barbara County would be Central Coast, while Ventura County and below is Southern CA. San Luis Obispo, Monterey and Santa Cruz all would be in the Central Coast. With Santa Cruz being the furthest north point for the Central Coast, all above Santa Cruz, including Silicon Valley is Northern CA. I guess that is why KSBW keeps on telling me its the best news station in the Central Coast

Oh yea, in high school all the schools locally participate in the CCS (Central Coast Section).
Old 01-21-2002, 02:06 PM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

But isn't Santa Cruz almost as far north as San Jose? I think 17 runs almost as much east-west as it does north/south, but I don't have a map in front of me.
Having lived in L.A. and Orange County, then San Jose and now Napa, I would say that southern California is just north of Mexico and is a separate state. And since there are only 12 people that live north of Santa Rosa, what they think about boundaries doesn't count.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:13 PM
Banned

Thanks Guys! That's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for...

Old 01-21-2002, 03:14 PM

Looking at a county map of California using Microsoft MapPoint 2002, it appears the State might have done this for us...

From West to East:
San Luis Obispo, Kern and San Bernadino county lines are the ONLY lines that match across the state.

I grew up in San Francisco and my grandparents (living in SLO) were always considered to live in Socal.
Old 01-21-2002, 05:12 PM

If we get to vote, I would include Monterey with Northern California.

Quick Reply: Where is Northern California?