California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

where to get rims put on?

Old 02-01-2007, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask Kevin to help you put them on.....
Old 02-01-2007, 05:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was so confused on where this thread was going. putting tires on as in mounting and balance the actual tire to the rim? or mounting them on the car?

does it mean you have the other set of wheels? im still confused. i think its because i have a fever and cant read anything right, right now.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he's talking about just swapping stock rims with aftermarket rims. He's buying rims from someone that comes with tires already (assuming it's balanced as well).

If that's the case, diy. It's not hard and takes no more than an hour max. I work slow and i put my 18's on and wrapped/stored my stock rims in about an hour.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:41 PM

i think he just wants to put the wheels w/ tires on his car and he doesnt have any tools to do so. $20 seems about right for a shop to take off and put on a set of wheels

but how do you plan to drive your car and bring a set of 4 wheels and tires anywhere? someone has to follow you

someone around your area can help you also

i know im kind of far but if you want to travel to milpitas, i have no problem helping you swapping them. no charge, just let me know when
Old 02-01-2007, 07:58 PM

i dink he only needs them put on......then yes bring them to joeys and he will torque them down for you.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:03 PM

just pay the guy 20 bucks, and watch him do it.. that way he'll careful and you'll be able learn how to do it next time.

or just swap them right when you buy em at the meet.. then you'll have a handful of people to make sure you do it right.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:04 PM

all the tools you need are in your trunk, and this way you'll know how to put on your spare tire as well

ps: make sure your rims don't require aftermarket lugnuts, and if they do - then get the lugs first
Old 02-02-2007, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by still,Feb 2 2007, 07:04 AM
all the tools you need are in your trunk, and this way you'll know how to put on your spare tire as well

ps: make sure your rims don't require aftermarket lugnuts, and if they do - then get the lugs first
This is a very important point, ball contact vs. flush contact, and very often overlooked by first time buyers. The honda lugs are rounded, giving you a small contact area (depending on the wheels), which put a lot of pressure in a small area. The proper lugs will allow you spread the pressure appropriately.

Also, I'm not sure how common this is for the majority popular s2k aftermarket wheels (I'm still learning myself), but if your wheels have a larger hub bore, you may need hub centric rings (it avoids the vibration when the wheel is seated to the hub correctly.. [more technically, the outer beads of the wheel are then concentric to the wheel bearings]).

Most of this stuff is probably available at larger dealers (ie. America's Tire) or places that deal with aftermarket wheels.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:43 AM

If you are really not sure about this stuff, take it to a reputable shop and let them look this over and suggest what is necessary or grab one of the guys local to you on this forum. Most will be able to tell by looking at it..

Alright, off to the office.. just stopped in for a few mins at home and I always get pulled in more than I should. Damn.. s2ki.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:00 AM

In general:

Wheels only need to be balanced when new tires are installed, or if the weights fall off.

Mounting and balancing tires can range in cost from $40 to $150.

Installing wheels with tires already mounted amounts the the same as a "tire rotation" and should be somewhere between free and $20. If you have a torque wrench and the emergency jack you can do it yourself.

The car only needs an alignment when new, when changing springs or shocks, or when you think something has slipped, settled, or bent. Changing tires or wheels does not require an alignment. A 4 wheel alignment runs $70-$200.

RedlinedITR brought up a very important point about the lugnuts. Any aftermarket wheel you buy is going to require conical-seat lugnuts, so you can't use the stock lugnuts.

Quick Reply: where to get rims put on?