California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

What's the deal with traffic cameras

Old 09-29-2011, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the deal with traffic cameras

This topic came up during a lunchtime discussion at work yesterday so I thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has experience or knowledge with this. I was told these are run by 3rd parties and you are not rerquired to pay. I didn't get a ticket, well recently anyways, and am just looking to get to truth.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:18 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I think ultimately if you don't pay you cannot renew your car.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received one in Napa earlier this year. I had a picture & a video of the vehicle making a right turn at a red light. The problem was that the vehicle did not come to a complete stop before making a right turn at the light behind the limit line. Camera got this & sent me a ticket in the mail

Without getting in to too much detail; I had to pay for the full fine amount of close to $500. I've responded with a written declaration (via snail mail) but have not heard back. If you contest this over a written declaration & it is not approved by the court, you can file for Trial De Novo & show up in court. I have yet to see where this goes since I have not heard back from my Written Declaration.

If you dont pay, its like not paying a normal ticket - you get in trouble one way or another & it catches up to you. lol If you dont get a ticket, all good. It is required for these types of tickets to go through is that the drivers face is easily recognizable without reasonable doubt. If the drivers face is not, its means to contest/plea not guilty in court. If you claim you are not the driver photographed, the court will try to pin you down & ask you to rat out who the driver is.... I plea the 5th. Of course if you are the driver & you claim you are not, then this is considered Purgery by the courts.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think I read somewhere that an overwhelming majority of the red light traffic tickets are a result of these "not stopping before turning right" instances, as opposed to blasting through an intersection. The numbers were ridiculous. I'll post a link if I can find it.

EDIT:
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/may.../me-redlight19
In Los Angeles, officials estimate that 80% of red light camera tickets go not to those running through intersections but to drivers making rolling right turns
Old 09-29-2011, 11:47 AM

^ Yup, thats what I was sited for - on an empty intersection, at night, in the rain. Yup, smells like....
Old 09-29-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a few buddies in city council and LE, here's what they told me:

1) Average cost to install a camera enforcement system is $6-10k per intersection, the return on investment is about $20k average per month so as you can see it's a no brainer to invest by the city.

2) All tickets issued by red light camera's are VERY hard to fight, you can try but the degree of success is very small as they have proven "experts" that will testify to the calibration and accuracy.

3) Any red light tickets are a moving violation, not paying is the same as not paying a speeding ticket. A warrant will be issued for your arrest and next time you get pulled over, they will arrest you and impound your car (ask me how I know in person next time...haha)

All those written declarations are more of an urban myth. Maybe 1% success rate so don't hold your breath. In the mean time you still have to pay the ticket.

P.S. I'm not just blowing hot air since I think back in 2005 I received 2 red light violations by camera which were both BS (one was in SF and the other was in Milpitas turning right on red at the Chervon outside Ranch99). Both tickets went on my record and I had those marks on my record for 3 years. Best advice I can tell you is to NOT run red lights and make complete stops way behind the line to avoid the risk
Old 09-29-2011, 12:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really Rick? I've heard the exact opposite. I heard that LA was considering de-installing theirs because it was a massive money pit. There's too many loopholes on these cameras, and with a half-assed somewhat sober lawyer you can get it thrown out. Unless I heard wrong
Old 09-29-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by s4play
Best advice I can tell you is to NOT run red lights and make complete stops way behind the line to avoid the risk
been very careful about this since then. Gotta do it behind the limit line for sure for both red lights & stop signs.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:55 PM

Is there any truth to this ? Does the validity of the ticket/correspondance depend on who sent it or who runs the cameras?

http://www.highwayrobbery.net/redlig...cket.htm#Fakes

what about this:

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...=368488&page=2
Old 09-29-2011, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by whiteflash
Really Rick? I've heard the exact opposite. I heard that LA was considering de-installing theirs because it was a massive money pit. There's too many loopholes on these cameras, and with a half-assed somewhat sober lawyer you can get it thrown out. Unless I heard wrong
A lot of them involves not showing your face on camera. I'm not kidding either.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: What's the deal with traffic cameras