California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Whats the deal with front license plates?

Old 06-17-2004, 03:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, in SF it's $100 fine if you get ticketed
Old 06-17-2004, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by slam126
If I'm not mistaken, in SF it's $100 fine if you get ticketed
you're absolutely right.

it's also considered a correctable violation, which carries a $10 correction fee.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i haven't gotten pulled over for no plates...i think you're more likely to get pulled over if your car is modded w/ loud exhausts, body kit etc. things that draw attention to yourself
Old 06-18-2004, 02:37 AM
ttb

i haven't had any problems...but i heard in SF they are short on funds and are giving out a lot of tickets...
Old 06-18-2004, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by SaV
BTW, I still won't put it on.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DongTran
Old 06-20-2004, 08:39 AM

I took my plate holder off - cause it looks lame.

There's a nut at the top of the cowl opening that the plate holder bottom bolts to. I centered my license plate in the cowl, marked where the bolt hole would be and drilled a hole in the license plate. The bolt that originally held the bracket now holds the license plate. BTW, there's not enough room for a license plate frame in there - so it's just a bare plate.

Erik
Old 06-20-2004, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by slam126
Hmmm, I know someone who just got one of those tickets and they still had to pay $100 even after they put the front plate back on.
Perhaps a PCO wrote it up? Although I didn't know it was that expensive. Cops give fix-it tickets--meter maids do not. It's the only caveat to the I'll-just-pay-$10 reasoning.

I never run my front plate and seldomly get written up for it. I don't put the plate in the windshield either, both for safety and logical reasons. If a person is in a citing mood, they will see your inapproriately placed plate and write you up; whereas no plate at all may increase one's chances of being passed over--especially, if I remember a line from Poolhall Junkies correctly, "they're too busy looking at the pinstripes." (^_^)
Old 06-21-2004, 02:59 PM

This is my 7th car since I've been driving (all in Cali) and have never had a front plate displayed. Been stopped once, about 2 years ago in the city with my previous car. $10 fix it ticket, fixed it, the took it right off again.

If you get a parking ticket, they will tack on a no front plate ticket on top of it. This is being enforced more of late because of the city's need for $.

If you don't get a bunch of parking tickets I wouldn't do the front plate thing. $10 every couple of years is worth it.

One of my neighbors drives a 5 series BMW and I swear he's had it for like 2 years with still the paper dealer plate on it (front and back). I've been meaning to ask him about it since the new 5 has a different body style and I would think SOME cop is going to know it can't possibly be a just purchased car any more.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ever see a Corvette with a front plate? Me neither. Our cars look really dorky with the front plate on. Don't worry about it.

Only one sure-fire spot you WILL be pulled over for it. That is on the road up to Mt. Hamilton. My buddy and I went for a very spirited ride up there a coupla years ago and he got pulled over in his Porsche 911. I just innocently drove on and waited for him but I am sure I woulda got it if I had been in front or alone.

Quick Reply: Whats the deal with front license plates?