California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Whats the deal with front license plates?

Old 06-17-2004, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the deal with front license plates?

I just registered my car from out-of-state where a front plate is not needed. How many of you actually have a front plate displayed? And for the ones that don't... do you get pulled over/ticketed? I do not have my front plate bracket anymore, can't find it. So I went to Marin Honda yesterday to see if they had any and what the price would be. They didn't have it in stock(no surprise), but the price is $75.62!! Do any of you have one laying around that I could have/buy, or should I not even worry about it? Thanks
Old 06-17-2004, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have it, you can get pulled over and cited.

I don't have mine displayed...EVER.

you can have mine for a bottle of sprite.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:24 PM

I put my front plate on for that extra little margin of insurance against getting pulled over. Most of the time, I think you'd be fine without a front plate. IMO, whether you get pulled over for that or not depends on what kind of day the cop is having and how badly the city needs money.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:50 PM

^ I agree I have mine on just for the assurance. Been pulled over many times for no plates. I'm just tired of it so I slapped mine tucked inside in front of the radiator.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:08 PM

I bought the Rick's Accessories front plate holder for $30 including shipping. More info on that here: http://www.ricks2k.com/products/plateholder.php .

The thing is, I'm hearing this VERY ANNOYING RATTLE between 2000-3000 RPM, but don't know if it's the plate or the new drop-in intake filter I installed (still gotta troubleshoot).

I'll follow up with what I find out about the rattle...

-= joe =-
Old 06-17-2004, 01:28 PM

I've never been pulled over for no front plates for the past 3 years...both on my accord and s2k. Being stock might have something to do with it since it attracts less attention.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:46 PM

Do NOT put the front plate on, and don't worry about it! The worst thing that can happen is that you'll be stopped and given a "fix-it" ticket. This is a really cheap ticket (like $10), it can easily be disposed of, and it won't affect your insurance. (To take care of a fix-it ticket for this, buy a license plate bracket from Ricks, put the plate one, get it checked at the police department, then go back home and take the plate off again.)

I've been driving in CA all my life w/o a front license plate, and I've only been stopped for it once. I put it on, got the ticket taken care of, and then I took it right back off again.

IMHO your probability of getting stopped for this is proportional to your mods, and inversely proportional to your age. (If you're an old geezer like me, they'll only bother to stop you for obscene speeding.)
Old 06-17-2004, 02:00 PM
SaV

Been ticketed for the front plate over 10 times, not kidding. BTW, I still won't put it on.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:10 PM

I got 1 fix ticket over 9 years of driving cars without front plate..

if you get a fix ticket in city you live in i suggest you put the plate on for a year.. 2nd ticket could mean car tow...
Old 06-17-2004, 02:36 PM

Thanks for everyones input. I decided to side with about half of you... I ordered the Rick's piece. Thanks for the link!

Quick Reply: Whats the deal with front license plates?