California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

what would you do?

Old 02-16-2010, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what would you do?

so lady hit my fender and is taking responsibility for it. i went to an AAA approved place close by just to see how much it'll cost to fix, which is $2100.

i'll probably swing by active auto body after work to see their thoughts since so many of you went there for work and they are probably more familiar to with s2000s. but i read active auto's latest work is meh, so any other suggestions for shops?

alternatively, i could do other stuff like buy aftermarket fenders, but what would you do?

i want to keep it relatively stockish looking b/c it is my daily and i can't go wild on it.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by mr5parkle,Feb 16 2010, 11:54 AM

so lady hit my fender and is taking responsibility for it. i went to an AAA approved place close by just to see how much it'll cost to fix, which is $2100.

i'll probably swing by active auto body after work to see their thoughts since so many of you went there for work and they are probably more familiar to with s2000s. but i read active auto's latest work is meh, so any other suggestions for shops?

alternatively, i could do other stuff like buy aftermarket fenders, but what would you do?

i want to keep it relatively stockish looking b/c it is my daily and i can't go wild on it.
Ouch, sorry to hear/see. Basically you can got with an OEM replacement or aftermarket + paint assuming that the fender is the only issue? You may want to take it off & inspect further to see if anything else may be damaged.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:39 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Personally, I'd keep it to stock. I would find my own body shop who will do everything, not the minimum insurance will push for.

Your position is already weakned as now there is a quote of $2100 out there. Someone comes up with $3500 because some suspension work is damaged you're battling one quote against the other.

Find a good shop. You want that shop that says 'no, you cannot put this on the road with a used control arm'. Then you want that shop to call you when insurance approves new suspension on driver side and work out a way to help you do both for little out of pocket money. (Typically you match suspension work, side for side, or so I'm told).

I had a hit like this on another car and it resulted in a lot more work then fender alone. All total is was in the area of $3600. Get a rental car to. You don't want to be driving the car in case something fails on the freeway, which becomes your fault.

My limited experience with insurance companies is this:
1. Body shop needs to be on your side
2. You need to be on good terms with that shop
3. Tell insurance company you'll only take new OEM parts.
4. Go over every detail.
5. Get your adjusters number and speak directly to them.

Insurance companies will ALWAYS try to do the least work possible.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my car(not S2000) is at Garage Inc. in Burlingame.
55 Star Way
Burlingame, CA 94010
(650) 344-9082

If he's on the wrong side of the bay.. then I'd try this shop, where a bunch of S2000's have been repaired, a lot of them were near totaled..
RJ's Paint Shop
3715 Old Santa Rita Rd
Pleasanton, CA 94588
(925) 730-4911
Old 02-16-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2,Feb 16 2010, 12:39 PM
Personally, I'd keep it to stock. I would find my own body shop who will do everything, not the minimum insurance will push for.

Your position is already weakned as now there is a quote of $2100 out there. Someone comes up with $3500 because some suspension work is damaged you're battling one quote against the other.

Find a good shop. You want that shop that says 'no, you cannot put this on the road with a used control arm'. Then you want that shop to call you when insurance approves new suspension on driver side and work out a way to help you do both for little out of pocket money. (Typically you match suspension work, side for side, or so I'm told).

I had a hit like this on another car and it resulted in a lot more work then fender alone. All total is was in the area of $3600. Get a rental car to. You don't want to be driving the car in case something fails on the freeway, which becomes your fault.

My limited experience with insurance companies is this:
1. Body shop needs to be on your side
2. You need to be on good terms with that shop
3. Tell insurance company you'll only take new OEM parts.
4. Go over every detail.
5. Get your adjusters number and speak directly to them.

Insurance companies will ALWAYS try to do the least work possible.
thanks for the advice. i haven't filed anything. this was an 'on the whim' estimate to get a ballpark figure.

i will definitely ask more questions when i visit active autos later.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:22 PM

Damn sorry about your car. I feel your pain with all the mishaps that has been happening to my car. If you need a high quote, and tell AAA that you'll take your car in when you have the time after they cut you a check, I know a place that quotes on the high side in San Francisco. Then you can have your car fixed at a shop that quoted you lower. You can use the extra $$ on mods
Old 02-16-2010, 01:48 PM

I would recommend Active Auto. Shawn is really cool guy and he'll definitely help you out with insurance and stuff. Looks like you are the one got damaged so you can pretty much claim whatever (including medical).

If insurance is paying for it I would go with everything OEM. Hopefully it will get fixed as soon as possible.