California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

What speeding tickets have you received in your s2000?

Old 02-10-2014, 11:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Are police in CA required to have lights on when setup as a speed trap? I was pulled over by two cars who were pulled up a steep driveway with no lights on.
I've never heard this, and always see them camped in the dark. Spy-style.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

105+ in a 65, he caught me slowing down. Walked away with a ticket for 90 in a 65. $430 with traffic school.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

A speed trap is a marked section of road used as a measuring stick for how fast people are going. They are illegal in California (which actually makes airplane tickets illegal unless they also catch you with a patrol car). A cop sitting on the side of the road with a radar gun is not a speed trap and IS legal in most cases. The road has to have been "surveyed" within 5 years to make sure the speed limit is reasonable for the area.

Pretty sure all the "survey" stuff goes out the window if you are going over the maximum speed limit for the state (70 in CA).

I think the ticket I got was for 15 over on highway 5 so 85 in a 70? I had been going around 100 but let off when I saw the cop. Oh well, it was the most fun I have had driving that boring stretch.

Also, I paid for traffic school but forgot to take it and they still took the point off my record (I think)
Old 02-11-2014, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to do a TBD for a 62 in a 30 zone. I genuinely believe the posted speed is artificially low for the area I was driving in. As all traffic I have ever seen there is always doing 45-50mph. I was pulled over while coasting downhill off throttle when there was absolutely zero traffic on the road.

Are police in CA required to have lights on when setup as a speed trap? I was pulled over by two cars who were pulled up a steep driveway with no lights on.
Did this happen to be coming down highway 9? I've been pulled over for doing 63 in a 30, right before the light that used to be in the middle of highway 9. Two cops were parked on the driveway to Savannah-Chanelle.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:29 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
A speed trap is a marked section of road used as a measuring stick for how fast people are going. They are illegal in California (which actually makes airplane tickets illegal unless they also catch you with a patrol car). A cop sitting on the side of the road with a radar gun is not a speed trap and IS legal in most cases. The road has to have been "surveyed" within 5 years to make sure the speed limit is reasonable for the area.
Actually this is NOT true. I know they can ticket you from a plane. The way they get "around" the law is they say they are not using a speed trap but rather pacing you by placing your car within view from a special box on their plane landing gear. Once they have you locked in they can pace you and calculate your ground speed based on that so it's not a speed trap. If they catch you this way you are pretty much SOL, your word against theirs.

Frankly the s2000 is not an easy car to speed since you are reminded by all the road noise how fast you are going. At that point you are doing so intentionally so getting caught is the result. Use a V1 if you have it and try not to exceed +10 for most part and you should be safe.

Blatant speeding if I was a cop I would grab you too - especially those that weave traffic.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
Originally Posted by Marioshi' timestamp='1392134395' post='23010100
Actually this is NOT true. I know they can ticket you from a plane. The way they get "around" the law is they say they are not using a speed trap but rather pacing you by placing your car within view from a special box on their plane landing gear. Once they have you locked in they can pace you and calculate your ground speed based on that so it's not a speed trap. If they catch you this way you are pretty much SOL, your word against theirs.
I don't have any personal experience with it but I do understand that these are easier to get out of than others. Not sure how the "special box" allows them to pace you without measuring distance... sounds like a speed trap to me. Airplane is going way faster than a car...anyway I detract. My main point was that a "speed trap" is different than a cop sitting on the highway waiting for people to speed by and using radar to give tickets. In fact, I would imagine most tickets are given out this way.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:42 AM

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by nitewing117
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1392103677' post='23009574
I am going to do a TBD for a 62 in a 30 zone. I genuinely believe the posted speed is artificially low for the area I was driving in. As all traffic I have ever seen there is always doing 45-50mph. I was pulled over while coasting downhill off throttle when there was absolutely zero traffic on the road.

Did this happen to be coming down highway 9? I've been pulled over for doing 63 in a 30, right before the light that used to be in the middle of highway 9. Two cops were parked on the driveway to Savannah-Chanelle.
Yep they have been doing that for awhile now. Absolutely no one does 30 mph through there.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nitewing117' timestamp='1392140348' post='23010356
[quote name='andrewhake' timestamp='1392103677' post='23009574']

Yep they have been doing that for awhile now. Absolutely no one does 30 mph through there.
[/quote]

Yeah, I got tagged for it back in '09. I always take it easy around that lower portion of 9 now.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I only really broke the law when I had a bike.. The S2000 is a weekend car for me so by the time I get in it I'm pretty chill now, Especially living here near 92/280 CHP are constantly sitting and waiting. For the most part you have to really drive like a jackass to get pulled over in the Bay Area by CHP. I've passed those alleged speed traps at 75mph in our family SUV without so much as them even looking my way. A good rule of thumb is to never do 10mph more than everyone else around you, Don't be the one that easily be noticed from the rest of the crowd.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:02 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
I only really broke the law when I had a bike.. The S2000 is a weekend car for me so by the time I get in it I'm pretty chill now, Especially living here near 92/280 CHP are constantly sitting and waiting. For the most part you have to really drive like a jackass to get pulled over in the Bay Area by CHP. I've passed those alleged speed traps at 75mph in our family SUV without so much as them even looking my way. A good rule of thumb is to never do 10mph more than everyone else around you, Don't be the one that easily be noticed from the rest of the crowd.
+1

680 Northbound as you approach the Washington exit, they sometimes sit on that center mound which is sort of a downwards hill, they just sit there to keep people on their toes but rarely do I see them actually grab anyone unless you are the one doing 100+ passing sticking out!

Quick Reply: What speeding tickets have you received in your s2000?