California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

What kind of gas do you use?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I had my RX7 (FD) I had an apex powerFC and came with a knock sensor value reader. From testing 91 gas from chevron, shell and 76, the order of highest (bad) knock reading to lowest was: 76, Chevron and Shell. So shell came with the least amount of knock in my little test. Be warned this was a single test, so could simply mean 76 or chevron just didn't have a great batch of gas at the time, so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Costco works fine in every car I've ever driven. They add injector cleaner, just like all the other brands.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kaansahbaz
In our LA trip

Brian: what kind of gas do you guys use
Me: 91
Hanzel: 87

Brian: really? 87
Me: nah he is joking

Brian almost believed Hanzel and was about to put 87
I use 87 for daily use.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2KVee
I've heard of all the rumors... Feel free to add your own lol..

Arco gas is diluted with water so it burns faster
Costco is cheap quality
Valero is cheap quality
Olympia is cheap quality
76 is no good...

I personally have no preference... I used to use chevron only because I had access to free gas at chevron once a week. Now I fill up Costco because I get 3% cash back woot. !!! But in between locations I would often use chevron over the rest... My local Arco charges .45 cent for card transaction - no bueno. Shell prices is slightly higher than the chevron a block away, 76 also charges 10 cents extra per gal for cc transaction. The only exception other than Costco or chevron.. Is when I'm on empty and thats the closest station or when I'm lazy and feel like paying $5 more for a car wash at shell lol

TEChron is proven to make VTEC work over time lol .. Jp iono.. Haha but the commercials shows happy cars so it must be good .. I also like arco tv when I'm bored pumping gas. The shell tv is quite boring replaying the same 10 sec video of the Asian dude say "welcome. Blah blah blah, see you next time"
my ex tuner claimed 76 is the best
Old 06-18-2012, 11:00 AM

there is so many variable that its hard to conclude, every station your ethanol content is going to be different depends on day. you will drive different, traffic will be different, temp will be different.

i fill up at Chevron because it looks clean and i like the blue logo.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A friend of mines old (89) mustang only pinged with Shell gas. Not that that's a scientific test in the least bit, but it's a personal enough story to get me to avoid Shell stations whenever possible. I fill up at Chevron 99% of the time because those are the stations next to my house and work.

Truth be told (even though I work for Chevron) I've always found/feel like I get just a tad more giddyup with 76 premium. I also lost MPG's (or maybe my right foot just got heavier).

Pretty much Chevron/76 only in my car if its by choice. If I'm stranded or near stranded, I'm not going to be picky over my brand of diluted gasoline.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:06 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
Chevron is my preference due to the addition of Techron. Techron is a pretty darn good additive.
Chevron sells the Techron under license to shell who adds it to their gas, but in lesser volume than Chevron.

I normally buy the cheapest 91 oc available ($4.06 lately) and just add a techron fuel system cleaner every oil change.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kaansahbaz
In our LA trip

Brian: what kind of gas do you guys use
Me: 91

Brian: really? 87
Me: nah he is joking

Brian almost believed Hanzel and was about to put 87
Old 06-18-2012, 09:51 PM

Chevron > 76 > Shell > Mobil. In that order if the preceding gas station isn't readily available.

I've noticed my cars in the past react differently to different gas.

My Audi drove far better (smoother, faster acceleration, no stutter/lag, smoother idle and better gas mileage) on 76 than it did on Chevron, only used the 2 brands.

My Accord, better gas mileage with Chevron than 76, car was too freaking slow to even notice a difference in speed lol. Only used the 2 brands as well.

S2k, I don't think I noticed the difference between Chevron or 76 in terms of mileage or performance. I used the 2 almost evenly. Whichever was cheaper and would change it up after a couple of fill ups. I never put Shell in it.

My BMW, seems to get slightly more miles out of a tank of Shell gas, but I've only used Shell like 3-5x. Performs best on Chevron. Mileage isn't as good with 76 and performance is the same as Chevron. It pulls the most with Chevron, accelerates quickly, drives smooth, idles smooth.

I once put Valero in the family mini van and it was crap. The car had terrible acceleration, lagged so bad and it couldn't accelerate. I drove around just burning the gas to get rid of it cause it was so crappy.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What? I've always Put Mobil on a pedistol! No not really but I always used it on the way to/ and in LA. It's not available here locally.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned AM/PM or Safeway gas. I hear safeway gas saves you big bucks but I've never used it myself.. I can't see it being too much different from Costco's gas considering they are close in price w/ the club card.

Quick Reply: What kind of gas do you use?