California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

What kind of gas do you use?

Old 06-17-2012, 06:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Premium at 76, shell, Chevron, or Arco. Never noticed a difference other than price.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually put Shell 91 Premium cause Shell is the closest gas station to my house. Never had a problem.
I tried to put $10 of 110oct race gas when ran the 1/4 mile as well and didn't change my time... So maybe I should try nitromethane next time lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2012, 07:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zestmyu
Originally Posted by Thateguhate' timestamp='1339983784' post='21789428
91 of anything other than Shell or Arco.

Shell I have seen prove proven results on the dyno before/after on a friends boosted Eclipse GST. Never pumped it again. Honestly though aside from these two stations I'll use just about any station that gets a decent amount of business. It doesn't help if you are getting a 91 octane from a Chevron, Shell or even a 76 that doesn't get business and sells stale gas.

I noticed that when I go to 7-11, or Olympian my car runs smooth and I also get an extra 10-15 miles before my light will turn on oddly enough.
Why exactly don't you use shell? Or am I reading your dyno story incorrectly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Not sure exactly why it made less power on the dyno. My assumptions are either additives working against it, or lower octane due to stale gas.

To be honest Shell is always top dollar. I drove to the Chevron on Hickey Blvd today in Daly City and could not even get to a pump the place was so packed. Across the street Shell was empty, 3 cars if I remember right and 12cents more per gallon for Supreme. People are going to pump where they get the most for they're dollar so I'd like to believe it was stale gas. Although that was probably an isolated incident who knows if you are actually getting the octane of your choice if the gas station isn't getting any business..

Just my thoughts though.. Btw his numbers were in the area of 452whp without the shell and with I wanna say he made close to 443-444whp.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Premium at 76, shell, Chevron, or Arco. Never noticed a difference other than price.

Only reason I won't pump Arco is because I've heard it leaves deposits in your tank. I'm assuming you would have to pump a lifetime worth of that shit for it to cause a problem though. Even so I never really use them lol.. Someone put that bug in my ear a long time ago and it stuck with me ever since.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1339987767' post='21789529

Only reason I won't pump Arco is because I've heard it leaves deposits in your tank. I'm assuming you would have to pump a lifetime worth of that shit for it to cause a problem though. Even so I never really use them lol.. Someone put that bug in my ear a long time ago and it stuck with me ever since.
My understanding about gas, is that basically all gas comes from the nearest refinery (in our case I think its Chevron in Richmond: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ies#California). Then each brand adds their own additives.

If you are worried about stale gas, then Costco would be my recommendation because they go through multiple tankers worth of gas each day.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chevron is my preference due to the addition of Techron. Techron is a pretty darn good additive.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:51 PM

I've used all sorts ranging from Shell to Chevron to Arco and Valero. I don't notice any differences at all when driving or the changes in mpg.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In our LA trip

Brian: what kind of gas do you guys use
Me: 91
Hanzel: 87

Brian: really? 87
Me: nah he is joking
Hanzel: 87

Brian almost believed Hanzel and was about to put 87
Old 06-17-2012, 11:57 PM

I try and use only Shell if I can. I find I get better gas mileage with Shell than Chevron.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:02 AM

I've heard of all the rumors... Feel free to add your own lol..

Arco gas is diluted with water so it burns faster
Costco is cheap quality
Valero is cheap quality
Olympia is cheap quality
76 is no good...

I personally have no preference... I used to use chevron only because I had access to free gas at chevron once a week. Now I fill up Costco because I get 3% cash back woot. !!! But in between locations I would often use chevron over the rest... My local Arco charges .45 cent for card transaction - no bueno. Shell prices is slightly higher than the chevron a block away, 76 also charges 10 cents extra per gal for cc transaction. The only exception other than Costco or chevron.. Is when I'm on empty and thats the closest station or when I'm lazy and feel like paying $5 more for a car wash at shell lol

TEChron is proven to make VTEC work over time lol .. Jp iono.. Haha but the commercials shows happy cars so it must be good .. I also like arco tv when I'm bored pumping gas. The shell tv is quite boring replaying the same 10 sec video of the Asian dude say "welcome. Blah blah blah, see you next time"

Quick Reply: What kind of gas do you use?