California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

What are the gun laws here in CA out of curiosity?

Old 06-30-2012, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
Originally Posted by s4play' timestamp='1341002705' post='21822777
Then again I don't see having a gun as an advantage in 99% of the situations I experience.
Insurance isn't for the 99% of the times, it's for the 1% of the times.

Overly restrictive gun laws only guarantee one thing, that the criminal will be the only one in that 1% of the time situation with the gun.

exactly what i said only different...
Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chetly
The problem with California gun laws is they are just hurting the law abiding citizen by limiting what we can and cant do vs the criminal who doesnt give a shit about the laws.

Then again I don't see having a gun as an advantage in 99% of the situations I experience.
Insurance isn't for the 99% of the times, it's for the 1% of the times. Overly restrictive gun laws only guarantee one thing, that the criminal will be the only one in that 1% of the time situation with the gun.
Completely agree with these statements.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by chetly
The problem with California gun laws is they are just hurting the law abiding citizen by limiting what we can and cant do vs the criminal who doesnt give a shit about the laws.
I completely agree with this. There's a bill that passed that is going to require long arms to be registered (like a handgun), and adds limitations to C&R' holders such as needing to go through an FFL starting 2014. There's another bill getting voted on now that needs to be shot down as well - SB249. Anyone who likes modifying tactical rifles should do what they can to fight it.

Rick - to answer your original question, carrying in a vehicle is restricted in CA. Handguns must be kept in a locked container, unloaded,(meaning no round in the chamber or full magazine in) with restrictions on where you're transporting it.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:15 PM

SB249 is really nasty. It does not look good for gun owners here in CA with that bill.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Rob, I should hope I would need a bulletproof car!

I did see an ad in Dupont Registry where a company would completely retrofit your S-class or SUV to sustain a road side bomb - must be one heavy car, can you imagine the gas mileage...hehe In those cases even a gun won't help much. Then again I don't see having a gun as an advantage in 99% of the situations I experience.
I hope you never need it either. MPG is going to be horrible

I agree. For most situations leave the scene is best for you. Guns really are the last line. Pull to kill or be killed.

Are you considering starting to carry one now? Did something happen?
Nothing happened, just that after reading that other thread in my first post, I was somewhat shocked by what those other guys wrote (granted most of them are not in CA) but still it seemed extreme to me some of their statements. Plus I was thinking it would be illegal to keep a loaded handgun in the car which is the law in CA but apparently not in other states?

I used to own and carry in the midwest but found it overly intrusive in most cases. Now that I have kid(s) I would not keep guns around just for fear of accidents. You read about these kinds of stories all the time so in my case I won't take that risk.

Insurance isn't for the 99% of the times, it's for the 1% of the times.

Overly restrictive gun laws only guarantee one thing, that the criminal will be the only one in that 1% of the time situation with the gun.
I agree having overly restrictive laws is bad but this is sort of like the police officer situation. You don't want one following most of the time but in times of you need you wish you can have one nearby. I think guns are the same thing.

I go to the gun range pretty routine and some of those guys are pretty hardcore with enough weapons to start their own mini-army!

Originally Posted by nitewing117
Originally Posted by chetly' timestamp='1340920522' post='21819856
Rick - to answer your original question, carrying in a vehicle is restricted in CA. Handguns must be kept in a locked container, unloaded,(meaning no round in the chamber or full magazine in) with restrictions on where you're transporting it.
Yup this I know but I guess laws in other states are way more laxed! thanks
Old 07-05-2012, 01:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
Semantics here, but more like California is way too strict.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:59 PM

Yep. Texas allows you to carry loaded with it either concealed or in plain sight. I had a friend from Texas who said it was pretty common.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by nitewing117
Originally Posted by s4play' timestamp='1341525137' post='21836761

Yep. Texas allows you to carry loaded with it either concealed or in plain sight. I had a friend from Texas who said it was pretty common.

yup. my girlfriend and her siblings go to the range as a extra curricular activity. her dad showed me their "shed" which doubles as a bunker. military issues and everything.

california restrict so much shit/motherfkrs wanna fine me. lol kanye.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:57 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1341058419' post='21824054
[quote name='s4play' timestamp='1341002705' post='21822777']
Rob, I should hope I would need a bulletproof car!

I did see an ad in Dupont Registry where a company would completely retrofit your S-class or SUV to sustain a road side bomb - must be one heavy car, can you imagine the gas mileage...hehe In those cases even a gun won't help much. Then again I don't see having a gun as an advantage in 99% of the situations I experience.
I hope you never need it either. MPG is going to be horrible

I agree. For most situations leave the scene is best for you. Guns really are the last line. Pull to kill or be killed.

Are you considering starting to carry one now? Did something happen?
Nothing happened, just that after reading that other thread in my first post, I was somewhat shocked by what those other guys wrote (granted most of them are not in CA) but still it seemed extreme to me some of their statements. Plus I was thinking it would be illegal to keep a loaded handgun in the car which is the law in CA but apparently not in other states?

I used to own and carry in the midwest but found it overly intrusive in most cases. Now that I have kid(s) I would not keep guns around just for fear of accidents. You read about these kinds of stories all the time so in my case I won't take that risk.
[/quote]

I get what you're saying. Out here in Nevada I can CCW with a simple permit. I've yet to buy a handgun because the responsibility of carrying one has slowed me down. While having one at home or the place of business makes complete sense to me. However being up on how and when to use the gun is not training I currently have.

So while I feel I would be a good shot and display good judgement the constant responsibility of a loaded gun on my person is big.

I wonder who drives the gun laws in California? Get outside of LA/Bay Area and there are a lot of pro gun folks.