California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

What do you guys run for tires around here?

Old 04-15-2012, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with making the conits last if you push your car at all in the dry. I guess thats what happens when you combine an all season compound with sidewalls made of saran wrap. I guess this pic was taken after an autocross comparing the conti dw and the michelin PSS. But everyone says they are something special in the wet.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had htrzIII on my m3. Tracked auto crossed and daily. I sold them after maybe 5k miles but the new owner went another 20k miles on them. I don't drive as hard as most of you but they did well for me on the track. And can't beat the price... When rear 275/19 cost around $300 each!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:33 PM

Good thread. Anyone happy with anything else?

I was looking at the HTRZIII, but it was rated #14 in the Max category at TireRack. I was considering the following list for pure street, no wet driving. Has anybody run any of these? They all seemed like a good value/performance balance, at least in my 18" size:
  • Kumho Ecsta LE Sport - Rated #6 in the max category
  • Hankook Ventus V12 evo - Rated #8 in max
  • Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 - Rated #3 in ultra
  • Kumho Ecsta SPT - Rated #10 in ultra
  • General g-max AS-03 - Rated #3 in ultra all-season
  • Kumho Ecsta 4x - Rated #4 in ultra all-season
They were all in the $448-$576 range per set (225/40/18 and 235/40/18).

I'm definitely going with Star Specs for track use, but planning to keep my 18's for street.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I miss my Star Specs. I had those on for such a brief time. They were glorious. Once I start making more money, I'm going to treat myself to a set.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by -BTT-
Good thread. Anyone happy with anything else?

I was looking at the HTRZIII, but it was rated #14 in the Max category at TireRack. I was considering the following list for pure street, no wet driving. Has anybody run any of these? They all seemed like a good value/performance balance, at least in my 18" size:
  • Kumho Ecsta LE Sport - Rated #6 in the max category
  • Hankook Ventus V12 evo - Rated #8 in max
  • Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 - Rated #3 in ultra
  • Kumho Ecsta SPT - Rated #10 in ultra
  • General g-max AS-03 - Rated #3 in ultra all-season
  • Kumho Ecsta 4x - Rated #4 in ultra all-season
They were all in the $448-$576 range per set (225/40/18 and 235/40/18).

I'm definitely going with Star Specs for track use, but planning to keep my 18's for street.
I ran the hankook v12's for a while. Lasted me over 15k rear, fronts could've gone 10k more. Nice and quiet on the freeway. Only thing I didn't like was the soft sidewall. Pushing the car through a turn I could feel the sidewall flexing bad. Grip is decent. But with my suspension setup it wasn't enough for me to keep em any longer.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:39 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jenn_bat
thought Rick was asking for an opinion of tires, not a bitch fight! still entertaining though...
I guess this thread is helpful to more than just me and that's awesome! I appreciate all the comments since I am one of those guys that rarely think much about my rubbers

Originally Posted by rob-2
I have mixed reviews on the HTR-ZIII. They clearly last longer, and for 80% of my driving feel nearly as grippy as rs3/star specs. However in hard cornering the soft sidewall really shows. While the tire ultimately holds the road, it doesn't feel like it for a moment or two after initial turn in. Stock suspension, UK alignment.

Rear Life:
Star spec 10K
RS3 6K
HTR ZIII 12k and going (about half the life consumed)

I auto crossed, daily drove and drove in the wet on all these tires. They all performed well in those three applications. I tracked the HTR ZIII and they didn't display much issue there - I was expecting a very sloppy experience - so for the money I'm really impressive with the 'value' not the 'performance'.

Rick I think it comes down to the life you want out of the tire. Money no object, I would run the star spec. They were the best performance tires I've driven on.

The RS3 I was disappointed it. The soft sidewall and ultra fast wear sucked. Though the grip was impressive. So I'm on the HTR ZIII because I'm tired of replacing the rears every 4-6 months.
Thanks Rob, this really helped and I think I'm going to try the tires in that order you listed. It seems those are the top 3 brands everyone keeps throwing around....

Going to swing by Orlando's place today to get a quote. I'm almost afraid to ask but do you think the standard 215/45 and 245/40/17's are good sizing to go with? I was thinking about pushing it a bit more wider but not sure what my NSX wheels can handle? This is what the sizes I'm running look like:

17x7, +60 up front (running a 15mm spacer so equates to +45 up front)

17x9, +56 in rear (running a 5mm spacer so equates to +51 in rear)

I was hoping to squeeze a 225/45 up front and 255/40/17 in the back?

Casey: I've seen your driving last time on the twisties so I can only imagine how fast you go around the corners to wear your tires like that! Must be scary being your passenger!

thanks again for all the replies and pictures!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
Casey: I've seen your driving last time on the twisties so I can only imagine how fast you go around the corners to wear your tires like that! Must be scary being your passenger!

A few people have witnessed it by following and even fewer by being a passenger. It's a cheaper ticket than Great America for a ride along, lol.

I agree with your plan of action. Get the Star Specs. You won't be disappointed!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:09 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
Originally Posted by jenn_bat' timestamp='1334501135' post='21609215
thought Rick was asking for an opinion of tires, not a bitch fight! still entertaining though...
I guess this thread is helpful to more than just me and that's awesome! I appreciate all the comments since I am one of those guys that rarely think much about my rubbers

Originally Posted by rob-2
I have mixed reviews on the HTR-ZIII. They clearly last longer, and for 80% of my driving feel nearly as grippy as rs3/star specs. However in hard cornering the soft sidewall really shows. While the tire ultimately holds the road, it doesn't feel like it for a moment or two after initial turn in. Stock suspension, UK alignment.

Rear Life:
Star spec 10K
RS3 6K
HTR ZIII 12k and going (about half the life consumed)

I auto crossed, daily drove and drove in the wet on all these tires. They all performed well in those three applications. I tracked the HTR ZIII and they didn't display much issue there - I was expecting a very sloppy experience - so for the money I'm really impressive with the 'value' not the 'performance'.

Rick I think it comes down to the life you want out of the tire. Money no object, I would run the star spec. They were the best performance tires I've driven on.

The RS3 I was disappointed it. The soft sidewall and ultra fast wear sucked. Though the grip was impressive. So I'm on the HTR ZIII because I'm tired of replacing the rears every 4-6 months.
Thanks Rob, this really helped and I think I'm going to try the tires in that order you listed. It seems those are the top 3 brands everyone keeps throwing around....

Going to swing by Orlando's place today to get a quote. I'm almost afraid to ask but do you think the standard 215/45 and 245/40/17's are good sizing to go with? I was thinking about pushing it a bit more wider but not sure what my NSX wheels can handle? This is what the sizes I'm running look like:

17x7, +60 up front (running a 15mm spacer so equates to +45 up front)

17x9, +56 in rear (running a 5mm spacer so equates to +51 in rear)

I was hoping to squeeze a 225/45 up front and 255/40/17 in the back?

Your effective offset with the spacers is pretty low, so I'd be a little hesitant about the 225/255s.