California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

well this sucks...

Old 07-04-2011, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danvuquoc
Interesting how it so cleanly separated the wheel. Any carnage down further down? Make sure to get insurance to fix this up, that all can be expensive -- sorry to hear.
carnage? i called my insurance(AAA), they are saying its my fault that i did not move out of the way... and possibility that my premium will go up if i go through with the claim.

Originally Posted by ninjajwl
.. What was this "something"? That's crazy. Sorry to hear.
i have no idea, all i saw was that it was white and it will still moving around so who knows

Originally Posted by AP2CRazy
Dang, that's all bad. Sorry to hear that. I had one of those white reflector things on the highway flew inside the bumper grill before.
thats nothing compared to this!

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
holy shit. is it just the front lip, rim and fender damage? or is there more?
visual damage yes, i probably have damaged control arms, etc. alignment is off

Originally Posted by eklipz98
RIP tire/fender/lip. Ouchy!! What in the world did you hit? A cement wall? An elephant?
i couldnt clearly see what it was, although it must have been something really hard to cause such damage. maybe a baby elephant?
Old 07-04-2011, 08:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chViETnk
Originally Posted by danvuquoc' timestamp='1309794545' post='20745175
Interesting how it so cleanly separated the wheel. Any carnage down further down? Make sure to get insurance to fix this up, that all can be expensive -- sorry to hear.
carnage? i called my insurance(AAA), they are saying its my fault that i did not move out of the way... and possibility that my premium will go up if i go through with the claim.

Originally Posted by ninjajwl
.. What was this "something"? That's crazy. Sorry to hear.
i have no idea, all i saw was that it was white and it will still moving around so who knows

Originally Posted by AP2CRazy
Dang, that's all bad. Sorry to hear that. I had one of those white reflector things on the highway flew inside the bumper grill before.
thats nothing compared to this!

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
holy shit. is it just the front lip, rim and fender damage? or is there more?
visual damage yes, i probably have damaged control arms, etc. alignment is off

Originally Posted by eklipz98
RIP tire/fender/lip. Ouchy!! What in the world did you hit? A cement wall? An elephant?
i couldnt clearly see what it was, although it must have been something really hard to cause such damage. maybe a baby elephant?
This happened to a friend of mine a year ago in his M3. He hit a semi truck differential as it was flying off the back end of a pick up. 4 other cars all hit it and all were totaled. I'd call your insurance and explain the part was flying through the air at your car. Its actually illegal to have shit fly out of your vehicle on the freeway so if you can tag the truck or car the dropped it it should be their fault. He was able to get out of his insurance point this way.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:12 PM

I think it's considered a collision claim if you hit something on the road. It's because the possibility of it being avoided. If it flew out of a truck or whatever and hit your car, it would be considered a comprehensive claim. If so, your insurance rates should not go up because of a comprehensive claim. I once hit a big rig tire on the freeway and it broke my bumper and dented my hood. My agent told me if the tire flew at me, my rates shouldn't go up because it would be a comprehensive claim. Anyways, good luck.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by FromaDB2toanAP1
I think it's considered a collision claim if you hit something on the road. It's because the possibility of it being avoided. If it flew out of a truck or whatever and hit your car, it would be considered a comprehensive claim. If so, your insurance rates should not go up because of a comprehensive claim. I once hit a big rig tire on the freeway and it broke my bumper and dented my hood. My agent told me if the tire flew at me, my rates shouldn't go up because it would be a comprehensive claim. Anyways, good luck.
i told them that something fell out of another vehicle, it was bouncing moving around on the freeway, than another car hit it over to my lane, and it was too late for me to avoid. i argued that the object was still in motion but the adjuster i spoke to said that because the other car hit the object over to my lane(meaning that once it hit the floor on my lane, it was considered stationary) and told me that if the other car hit the object INTO my car, it would be considered comprehensive. she also stated that she would reconsider the situation(collision or comprehensive) after they send out a field inspector to take pictures of the damage.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just do a lot of research and fight this one till the end. Remember that the entire game of the insurance companies is to avoid having to do the exact thing that you PAY them to do (cover you). They will try to use policies and ridiculous antics to get out of every dollar they can. Just stay strong, do research, and keep us posted here.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:15 PM

ive been doing a lot of reading on similar situations that have happened. anyone in the bay area have a similar situation happen to them and possibility have AAA as well? or know someone within AAA i can speak with? how can i go about this? speak to their manager? can i get another adjuster for a second opinion? how can i even fight this kind of situation?
Old 07-05-2011, 06:56 AM

I do know someone (who has State Farm) who hit a large chunk of metal debris on the freeway. His insurance said they'd cover everything without any questions asked.

However, if your insurance is giving you a hard time, you should stay adamant about this. As stated earlier, fight it to the end because they will fight to the end to try and NOT pay for the damages. It wouldn't hurt to speak to the upper management, but another adjuster probably would not change their stance on the situation.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by chViETnk
ive been doing a lot of reading on similar situations that have happened. anyone in the bay area have a similar situation happen to them and possibility have AAA as well? or know someone within AAA i can speak with? how can i go about this? speak to their manager? can i get another adjuster for a second opinion? how can i even fight this kind of situation?
keep at it. if they still refuse to help, there's a government agency that regulates on insurance companies. you can set up a claim with them and they can investigate as well.

when someone did a hit-n-run on my car while it was parked in the city, my insurance refused to pay for suspension damage which was clearly accident related; they said that the damage was regular wear and tear. i contacted them and provided sufficient details, pics, etc. they helped me get some of the money my insurance neglected to pay
Old 07-05-2011, 10:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry to hear this, kevin. hope you get it resolved without having to pay an arm/leg.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:37 AM

Damn, WTF did that, a brick?

Quick Reply: well this sucks...