California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Weird Noise!

Old 01-18-2013, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Noise!

Does anyone ever hear a weird scratching noise when they start their car cold? I've been hearing this for a few months and notice it only happens when it's cold outside and I'm starting my car cold. I've taken it to a mechanic and they couldn't duplicate the problem.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:17 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Miss Y
Does anyone ever hear a weird scratching noise when they start their car cold? I've been hearing this for a few months and notice it only happens when it's cold outside and I'm starting my car cold. I've taken it to a mechanic and they couldn't duplicate the problem.
If it sounds like static/scratching its probably your starter sticking, but due to the nature of the design of the s2000 starter it isn't really worth addressing unless if you're under warranty because its gonna be a hassle to replace the starter since its in an inconvenient place. I personally have this issue and mine doesn't stop scratching at all but it's been fine for over 2 years like that lol
Old 01-18-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by dagle
Originally Posted by Miss Y' timestamp='1358524592' post='22275598
If it sounds like static/scratching its probably your starter sticking, but due to the nature of the design of the s2000 starter it isn't really worth addressing unless if you're under warranty because its gonna be a hassle to replace the starter since its in an inconvenient place. I personally have this issue and mine doesn't stop scratching at all but it's been fine for over 2 years like that lol
Old 01-18-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by dagle
Originally Posted by Miss Y' timestamp='1358524592' post='22275598
Thanks! Sounds like I have the same problem. Glad to know what it is.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, I get this crazy sound when I start my car in the cold, sometimes. It sounds pretty brutal, and certainly can turn a head or two. Been going on for at least two years.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:28 AM

mine has an issue stickign when its cold out as well, nowadays it seems to help if i try to press the start button as little as possible, i let go before i hear the engine start and i dont get the noise anymore, like use the starter the bare minimum as possible to crank over the car
Old 01-18-2013, 08:45 AM

I do have the same problem. I noticed mine right after I went to gds 7. I was thinking of replacing my starter, but too lazy to do it yet.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:21 AM

I have the same problem.. =(
Old 01-18-2013, 09:27 AM

seems like a common problem for the s
Old 01-18-2013, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just noticed this problem on my car too recently.

Quick Reply: Weird Noise!