California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

A weekend with your brothers in L.A.?

Old 03-13-2001, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a copy of the message I just posted in "Meets and Events". As you'll see, SilverSurfer reckons he may be able to get some of you other S2Kers to come down and do this drive with your brothers from So Cal. It would be really great to meet up with you guys, and exchange experiences. It would also be a long drive down (about 350 miles from S.F.), but we could make it worth your while by showing you some good old-fashioned southern hospitality. If you need accomodations, I'm sure we can fix you up according to your tastes. What do you say to a drive down on a Saturday, do the drive mid-Sunday morning, and head back late afternoon? Too hectic for you? Anyway. Think about it, and post your comments/suggestions/queries/etc.
---------------------------------
O.K. Enough of those posts from Greg about how great "The Dragon" is. It's time to put the local So Cal mountains to the test.

I came across the following web page for bikers which has a pretty decent 102 mile route, covering everything from city streets, to flat, straight roads, to some pretty special twisties. No freeways! http://www.slobc.org/rides/Crusin.html

This route is fairly local for several of us (S2WOOOW, CA STOOK, Strike, and a few from the Santa Barbara, Ojai areas), but it might make a nice change and different scenery for those of you living further south. Trust me - the part of the drive through the Santa Monica mountains and Decker Canyon will be pretty demanding, and well worth the trip. (Ask Prolene.)

I've never organized anything like this before, but I can probably arrange most of the necessities such as the starting and finishing points, place to have lunch, detailed maps, etc.

SilverSurfer from the Bay Area has also indicated that he would be very interested in making the trip down, and could probably drag along some other B.A. recruits. With a good turn-out, we could get 20 - 30 (or more) S2Ks together for this one. As the L.A. meet is in May, I was wondering if there would be enough interest to stage this kind of run in either April or in June. I know it's a fairly long way to come for you guys in the jungles south of L.A., but it would be a great way of spending 3 or 4 hours with your brothers in the northern wilderness.

Anyway. Right now, I'm just doing this post to see how many of you may be interested, and when would be a good time. I'll also be posting something soon on the Bay Area S2000 Owners board, to let them know what we're trying to arrange. Please post your comments, and indicate if you may be interested in this meet and drive (a MAYBE will do for starters).

BTW. A "Conejo" (pronounced Con-ay-oh) is Mexican for "Rabbit".
----------------
An afterthought....Greg has just posted here http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...89731#post89731 and made a great suggestion....that we hold this meet and drive on the same weekend as the S2Ki days. Will that work for you? Perhaps even make it a mass dinner date afterwards.
Old 03-13-2001, 04:47 PM

count me in!
Old 03-13-2001, 05:14 PM

I'd probably be up for it. Its all about timing.
Old 03-13-2001, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am all for it. The road looks awesome...we could all drive early Sat morning...maybe have lunch in Santa Barbara then jet on down to LA. I think it would be a blast.

350 miles divided by 100 miles per hour is only a 3 and half hour drive

krazik? davepk? song? ROAD TRIP!!!!

[Edited by SilverSurfer on 03-13-2001 at 07:29 PM]
Old 03-13-2001, 07:21 PM

You can count me in. I'd like to suggest that we take hwy1 south past Big Sur etc. 100 miles of unbelievable highway and scenery.
Old 03-13-2001, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by davepk
You can count me in. I'd like to suggest that we take hwy1 south past Big Sur etc. 100 miles of unbelievable highway and scenery.
If I recall the last time we went down to Big Sur we didn't even see the scenery We can have lunch in Morro Bay or somewhere down there...then we can cut across 101 and take the shortcut to Santa Barbara...I forgot the hiway number though...it is a nice drive past Solvang and Lake whatever you call it...starts with a "C" i believe.
Old 03-13-2001, 09:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That would be San Marcos Pass, the lake is Cachuma and it is very beautiful up in there. Don't miss stopping at Mattei's Tavern in Santa Ynez on the "Solvang" side or Cold Spring Tavern on the Santa Barbara side of the pass. They were both old stops on the stagecoach route over the pass in the old days. Very picturesque and good food at least 30+ years ago when I inhabited the area. I know they are still good 'cuz my daughter lives in Isla Vista now and has been up there recently.
Old 03-13-2001, 10:30 PM

What if someone did more planniyn and we ended up with S2kDays-west. Rent out buttonwillow for a day, etc... we could probably get people from WA, OR, NV, AZ, and NM to show..

Of course it'd be even better if it were in the Bay Area, and the track day were held at Laguna or Sears, but I digress..

It's all about the convenience of me!.. hehe