California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Warning To So.Bay Drivers...Ticketed For No Front Plate (ONLY)

Old 08-19-2001, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning To So.Bay Drivers...Ticketed For No Front Plate (ONLY)

Location = Southbound Stevens Canyon Road (near Stevens Creek Reservoir).

OK...since it *is* required by law, I really can't get mad. However, I didn't think I'd ever get pulled over *just because* I didn't have my front plate...and he actually had to turn around to ticket me!

Honestly...I don't think there was any other reason to single me out (just cruising in second gear, no radar detector hanging in my window (yet), etc.), so I guess I just looked like a 'safe' candidate to pull over. Pretty embarassing, though, to be pulled over with his lights blazing for just a silly fix-it ticket!

While I can't get mad at the guy for just doing his job (one which you couldn't pay me enough to do with all the wacky people out there), the least I can do is offer you all this friendly warning.
Old 08-19-2001, 03:08 PM

BUMMER! Sorry to hear about this.

Just a tip to all...if you leave your "New Car" sticker from the dealer in the right bottom of the windshield, it might help deter the casual observing officer from initiating such a process.
Old 08-19-2001, 05:23 PM

Sorry to hear that Don

At least my "paper weight" will be safe from this eh??
Old 08-19-2001, 05:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by C-wrek1
[B]Sorry to hear that Don
Old 08-20-2001, 08:26 AM

That sucks, I drive that road all the time.
Old 08-20-2001, 09:01 AM

OOSType, which agency issued the ticket? Was it the local police (which city?) or CHP or other? I want to know which city to avoid if it is a city is cracking down (like Palo Alto, which we have been warned). Thanks.
Old 08-20-2001, 09:07 AM

I put the front plate back on all my cars. ALL THE BAY AREA police departments have a current policy to actively ticket for no front plate, because of the "red light Cameras" that are being installed everywhere.

If you are stopped with no plates on the car, and your car was registered months ago, that is another violation on vehicle code, not just a "fix it ticket".

Front plate might be a little ugly to some, but the best way is to just put it on the car, and start a lobby group to go to one plate for California, as a state cost savings measure.
Old 08-20-2001, 09:35 AM

just find a cop at a dunut shop and get him to sign you off. that's all it takes, and it's illegal for them to charge you for it. the $10 is paid to the court after the ticket is signed off, not to the PD/sheriff/CHP.
Old 08-20-2001, 10:29 AM

I believe that was the old fine, as a "fix it Ticket". $10

I could be wrong, but I think it is no longer a fix it ticket, the fine is $50 , if I remember ( first time ). Higher fine thereafter.

This is all to make the Red Light Cameras more viable for the police.
Old 08-20-2001, 10:56 AM

The $50 fine only applies to SF. This is new, I'm pretty sure it is still a fix-it elsewhere.

They changed most fix-it fines from $10 to $20 over three years ago ... sounds like your cop's still livin' in the 80's.

They are a huge pain to get signed off. I actualy pulled into a police station, and COULD NOT FIND A COP to sign it off!! WTF?! I did this several days in a row, and nobody would sign the damn thing!!!

Finally found a highway partol on the freeway and pulled over and made him sign it. He was pissed and gave me a lecture for stopping on the freeway, but I could find no other way to get a cop to do it.

Quick Reply: Warning To So.Bay Drivers...Ticketed For No Front Plate (ONLY)