California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Visiting Japan

Old 07-17-2008, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Visiting Japan

What's up Bay Area,

I'm planning a vacation in September that will include a 7-10 day stop in Japan. Has anyone here visited Japan before? I will be making the trip with my college roomie and we are looking for 70/30 split of city/cultural-nature stuff. We definetely want to hit up Tokyo, Nikko, and Mt. Fuji. We also have a list of things/places we want to check out: visit the auto museum, onsen, watch an MMA or sumo match, check out Sony HQ, possibly visit Takashi Amano's gallery, etc.

Bottom line is we'd like short one or two day tours in each section of Japan we visit that will allow enough freedom to explore on our own. Has anyone been on a tour like that?

I'm going to email two travel agencies http://www.popjapantravel.com and http://www.explorient.com but would love to hear your personal experiences. If anyone has ANY feedback about Japan, post up!

Thanks,
danny
Old 07-18-2008, 12:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

awesome! my sister and I are planning to go to Japan next summer too! I already told her that we are gonna get lost, i've accepted that fact already
Old 07-18-2008, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can't speak Japanese, or if you don't have any local friends I guess a tour would make things easier. My wife is Japanese, so whenever we go to Japan, she takes me around and does all the talking. She also knows all the good places to eat at. I would be so lost if I had to make it around on my own. Not many people speak English, and the signs are all in Japanese.

You might want to check out Odaiba. That's where the Toyota Megaweb is. Last time I was there, they had JGTC Supras on display (which they let you sit in), also Toyota F1 cars, and Indycars. There's also a couple of really cool shops that sell everything automobile and racing related. The museum is really nice too. Actually maybe that's where you're planning to go...

I also went to the Honda Headquarters. They have a lot of cool cars and bikes on display, including the sister car to Honda's first Grand Prix winner.

If you like ramen, definitely hit up Jangara in Harajuku. That's some of the best tonkotsu ramen you can get. Once you have that, all the ramen in the Bay Area will taste like instant noodles. If you like Tonkatsu, Ginza Bairin in the Ginza district serves up portions of mind-blowing pork cutlets. IIRC it's the oldest Tonkatsu establishment in Japan.

Akihabara is also fun to visit, it's pretty "out there", and there are lots of freaks. Visit a maid cafe, they're good for a laugh.

Nikko is amazingly beautiful. My wife's family keeps a vacation home there, and the drive through the Gunma and Tochigi mountain passes is sheer driving ecstasy. Irohazaka touge is smooth, wide, and just sublime in its natural setting. If you can, rent a fast car and pretend to be Fujiwara from Initial D. Just watch out for the local Popo. I've seen them in FD RX-7s and R34 GTRs.

I could just go on and on. I love Japan, it is sooo much fun to visit.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:47 AM

good luck if you dont have a translator... even the phone operator speaks nihongo.. lol... anyways japan is way cooler than you think.. unless you leave or stay in a place like mine... kodaira ku!!!! haha land of the old!!
Old 07-18-2008, 01:50 AM

I'm hoping to go to Japan next year after graduation. Going to wander around, get lost, and test out my Japanese
Old 07-18-2008, 02:27 AM

oh man... someone bring me! I wanna go to Japan!
Old 07-18-2008, 02:27 AM

i've been wanting to visit Japan since i graduated HS, that was 3 years ago
Old 07-18-2008, 07:51 AM

Not sure if your going to be able to find anything so soon, September is right around the corner.

My first trip I used http://friendlyplanet.com/japan-panorama.html it was called some thing different when I went. Its a good cheap "get your feet wet" experience of Japan. Its great because it includes air fare and Lodging and quite a bit of food. You don't have to stay with the group but I like structure and having some one to tell me what's what for my first experience.

My second trip was more indept. http://www.japanroads.com/privatetours/cul...sity_kansai.htm
You have to find your own $transportation$, a lot less structured but you get your own personal tour guide.

One of my favorite places (I've said this many times) Sagano http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/map/015_Ar..._+_Sagano.html
Lots to do all with in walking distance. Just out side of down town Kyoto.

Don
Old 07-18-2008, 07:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went to Tokyo last year during my little hop around Asia. I was in Japan by myself and I don't speak a lick of Japanese, so it was definitely difficult getting around, but I managed. I also went to the Honda Museum. I spent over $300 getting there and back, but it was worth it.

Here are my pictures from Japan if you are interested. https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry10559990
Old 07-18-2008, 07:54 AM

The only time you'll need a translator if your traveling through rural areas. Otherwise, many people speak english. All major hotels have english speaking person, train station have people speaking english, maps in english. Get a traveling book and you will be fine. You will get lost at the train station, everyone does, it's like a maze, even people who live in Japan get lost. Never done a tour, your always on a time constraint. I like the freedom to go where I want and stay as long as I want.

Quick Reply: Visiting Japan