California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Visiting Cambria

Old 08-25-2008, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Visiting Cambria

Sup Yay Area,

I need your input. My lovely Wife and I have decided to spend our anniversary in Cambria. I looked for other places on the coast (IE: Monterey, Carmel, Bodega Bay, Mendo) but darn it is so expensive! We decided that Cambria would be the best "Bang" for the buck

So what's there to do down there? Is it worth paying the $25 for the tour of the Hearst Castle? Thanks!

PS: We will be driving the S down MapQuest states it's about a 4 hour drive down the 101.

Lu Dawg
Old 08-26-2008, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by LuDawg,Aug 25 2008, 03:15 PM
Sup Yay Area,

I need your input. My lovely Wife and I have decided to spend our anniversary in Cambria. I looked for other places on the coast (IE: Monterey, Carmel, Bodega Bay, Mendo) but darn it is so expensive! We decided that Cambria would be the best "Bang" for the buck

So what's there to do down there? Is it worth paying the $25 for the tour of the Hearst Castle? Thanks!

PS: We will be driving the S down MapQuest states it's about a 4 hour drive down the 101.

Lu Dawg
Been down there 2 times, and the castle is the main attraction. There just the beach, and a few places to eat. Mainly we go to R&R. It a nice drive from the bay area and the castle tour is cool, as there are 4 differnt tours. Go for it
Old 08-26-2008, 10:26 AM

I'd do the castle tour just to say you've seen it so you wont be like me.

I've lived here my whole life and seen more than most traveling the coast/cities/mountains but I've NEVER been to Hearst castle, never been to Alcatraz, and I've never ridden on a trolley.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:28 PM

Hearst Castle is worth visiting once IMO, then you can say you've been there and will never ever have to go again The rest of San Simeon is pretty much ummm a dump by the seaside.

Not much to do in Cambria aside from a few specialty restaurants, but you can always go inland to Paso Robles or south to Pismo Beach to wine taste (AKA get drunk in sophisticated fashion and then DUI like it's all good). I love red wines and DUI around there frequently after drinking their yummy Pinots, Syrahs, and Zinfandels. In Pismo Beach there's also a great casual seafood restaurant called The Cracked Crab, ATV riding on sand dunes at Oceano Dunes, and if you head a bit further south there's the Danish town Solvang where you can get stoned and stuff your face full of European pancakes.

Enjoy!
Old 08-26-2008, 01:30 PM

oh yeah and if you're stoned on the way down and get the munchies, there's a popular place off the 1 called Nepenthe Restaurant where folks like to stop, grab a bite, and get a nice lit view of the Big Sur area.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:43 PM

Nice! Ok, then I'll definitely visit the castle just to say we did it.

Cyber_x - Pismo Beach sounds cool. ATV on the sand dunes FTW! I'll see if I can get the wifie out there. I get my far share of wine and DUI up here in Napa! I constantly see people pulling out of the wineries hammered... but I guess if you look like a tourist the cops don't seem to mind Thanks for the recomendations on the restaurants
Old 08-26-2008, 01:50 PM

[QUOTE=LuDawg,Aug 26 2008, 09:43 PM] Nice! Ok, then I'll definitely visit the castle just to say we did it.

Cyber_x - Pismo Beach sounds cool. ATV on the sand dunes FTW! I'll see if I can get the wifie out there. I get my far share of wine and DUI up here in Napa! I constantly see people pulling out of the wineries hammered... but I guess if you look like a tourist the cops don't seem to mind Thanks for the recomendations on the restaurants
Old 08-26-2008, 05:44 PM

My wife and I went to the castle too. It's pretty cool to do while you're there. If you end up heading down towards pismo, there's a mineral hot springs that was really nice. Private hillside hot tubs... Here's a link:
link

Some cool restaurants in the SLO area, also stopped in Morro Bay for beach/food.

Have fun!