California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group
View Poll Results: What should I do next?
Complete Build
62.50%
Replace bearings
37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Update on car

Old 10-24-2011, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrie
What's the condition of the crank? Usually if the rod bearing is bad enough you scored the crank and or make the rod out of round. If you don't have experience in building engine I suggest to have some one who does take a look at it. Replacing bearing to a damaged crank or out of round rod will result of the bearing get chewed up again in no time. If the rod is fine and the crank just need to be slightly polished you can just replace the bearing. But all measurement need to be re-measured and do not follow the color that are stamped on the block and crank, since materials was taken out from the crank. Fix it right and fix it once. It might cost a little bit more money now, but if it not fixed right, no doubt it will cost even more money later on. That includes having someone qualified doing the work.
I agree

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
As Andrie mentioned, you need to inspect the crank for damage before proceeding any further. I would suggest pulling the crank and talking it to a shop and have it inspected.

Originally Posted by kaansahbaz
i would get a another engine
Old 10-24-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Andrie
Unless the engine is new, you will be better off rebuilding an old engine. Rebuild it correctly and it will be as good as new. I build engines in the tune of 4 a year, sometime more for my race cars. Nothing is wrong with a good rebuild. I'd choose that every time than buying a used engine

Originally Posted by jerZs2k
Originally Posted by Andrie' timestamp='1319475772' post='21096320
What's the condition of the crank? Usually if the rod bearing is bad enough you scored the crank and or make the rod out of round. If you don't have experience in building engine I suggest to have some one who does take a look at it. Replacing bearing to a damaged crank or out of round rod will result of the bearing get chewed up again in no time. If the rod is fine and the crank just need to be slightly polished you can just replace the bearing. But all measurement need to be re-measured and do not follow the color that are stamped on the block and crank, since materials was taken out from the crank. Fix it right and fix it once. It might cost a little bit more money now, but if it not fixed right, no doubt it will cost even more money later on. That includes having someone qualified doing the work.
I agree.
brother, if money wasn't such a big deal then he could get a new motor. i think we should strip it completely and get the crank inspected as well as the the piston rods and bearings. I know now that the bearings were really shot, since you schooled me on it. but at this point. If you really want your car running, replace the bearings, and stack up some bread to do a built motor.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:01 PM

Looks like building the motor is the plan so far
Old 10-24-2011, 03:04 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Kaan is on to something. In all likelihood more damage is done to the motor, and maybe you won't find it on your inspection. Crank will cost $1200-$1500 new, head work isn't cheap and hopefully you didn't scar a wall. You're going to want a new oil pump while you're at it.

This is one of those projects where you have two choices
1. Man up and buy a replacement motor
2. Attempt to nickle and dime your way to a running machine

It's likely 50/50 as to which is the better choice. I'd go with #1. Then rebuild the bad motor and do something with it.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:09 PM

thoe motor is actually in great condition, It's just the bearings are shot. they are as thin as paper. from what i was told the bearings should be thicker that that.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by kaansahbaz' timestamp='1319479787' post='21096616
Kaan is on to something. In all likelihood more damage is done to the motor, and maybe you won't find it on your inspection. Crank will cost $1200-$1500 new, head work isn't cheap and hopefully you didn't scar a wall. You're going to want a new oil pump while you're at it.

It's likely 50/50 as to which is the better choice. I'd go with #1. Then rebuild the bad motor and do something with it.

Your think of the wrong kind of build bro, I know what I'm doing when it comes to mechanics, the build I'm talking about is in no way nickel and diming...
Old 10-24-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by jerZs2k
thoe motor is actually in great condition, It's just the bearings are shot. they are as thin as paper. from what i was told the bearings should be thicker that that.
That is correct, wait I showed you that
Old 10-25-2011, 02:40 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 19wrath85
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1319497447' post='21097551
[quote name='kaansahbaz' timestamp='1319479787' post='21096616']

Your think of the wrong kind of build bro, I know what I'm doing when it comes to mechanics, the build I'm talking about is in no way nickel and diming...
[/quote]

Bro, not to be an ass here bro but if you were so mechanical I figured you'd know there was only one way to do it, the right way. Bro.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:23 AM

new engine FTW!!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if your short block is bad, brand new already assembled short block from Honda is $2300. Not only that I can get a decent motor with low milage for 2500.
I know money is issue but your rebuild will cost you more then 1500! New pistons, resurface walls, all the inspections. And your time. I know you will say,"I got time" but hey it's your call.
I'd buy a used engine and sell your old engine. And it will cover the difference

Quick Reply: Update on car