California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group
View Poll Results: What should I do next?
Complete Build
62.50%
Replace bearings
37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Update on car

Old 10-23-2011, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on car

For those that knew my S has been out of commission just an update

With the help of jerZs2k wrenching and storage of the project we finally got my block apart to find out the problem. The rod bearing on rod #4 was torn to shit.

Now my new delemia, do I still follow through doing a full build or replace just the bearings.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Look at financials. If your able to afford it right now, go with the complete build... if not... replace the bearings... Idk what it takes to do a rebuild or bearings...
Old 10-23-2011, 11:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not mechanically inclined, so take my advice with a grain of salt. You mentioned that the previous owner did not maintain the car too well. I would go for the complete rebuild so you can make sure you are starting fresh. It will hopefully prevent you from having more gremlins pop up in the future.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not really enough info given. Did the "torn to shit" rod bearing leave metal shavings in the oil that were small enough to get into the oil pump and be pumped through the rest of the engine? Is the head possibly damaged from pieces of metal? Are you just talking about doing a bottom end rebuild? How do the sleeves look?

If components of the bearing don't look like they would have damaged anything else too bad, then I'd say just replace all the bearings and consider a new oil pump upon inspection. If there is a chance that it would have messed with the rest of the engine...you CAN do a full rebuild but need to know somebody who knows how to hone the FRM sleeves unless you re-sleeve the block as well, and at that point you may as well find a working short block for sale or buy a new short block and just use that; and if dreams of high horsepower are in your future build this block as time and money allow.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the condition of the crank? Usually if the rod bearing is bad enough you scored the crank and or make the rod out of round. If you don't have experience in building engine I suggest to have some one who does take a look at it. Replacing bearing to a damaged crank or out of round rod will result of the bearing get chewed up again in no time.

If the rod is fine and the crank just need to be slightly polished you can just replace the bearing. But all measurement need to be re-measured and do not follow the color that are stamped on the block and crank, since materials was taken out from the crank.

Fix it right and fix it once. It might cost a little bit more money now, but if it not fixed right, no doubt it will cost even more money later on.

That includes having someone qualified doing the work.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Andrie mentioned, you need to inspect the crank for damage before proceeding any further. I would suggest pulling the crank and talking it to a shop and have it inspected.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:09 AM

i would get a another engine
Old 10-24-2011, 01:52 PM

Unless the engine is new, you will be better off rebuilding an old engine. Rebuild it correctly and it will be as good as new. I build engines in the tune of 4 a year, sometime more for my race cars. Nothing is wrong with a good rebuild. I'd choose that every time than buying a used engine
Old 10-24-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Andrie
What's the condition of the crank? Usually if the rod bearing is bad enough you scored the crank and or make the rod out of round. If you don't have experience in building engine I suggest to have some one who does take a look at it. Replacing bearing to a damaged crank or out of round rod will result of the bearing get chewed up again in no time. If the rod is fine and the crank just need to be slightly polished you can just replace the bearing. But all measurement need to be re-measured and do not follow the color that are stamped on the block and crank, since materials was taken out from the crank. Fix it right and fix it once. It might cost a little bit more money now, but if it not fixed right, no doubt it will cost even more money later on. That includes having someone qualified doing the work.
I agree.

Originally Posted by kaansahbaz
i would get a another engine
brother, if money wasn't such a big deal then he could get a new motor.

i think we should strip it completely and get the crank inspected as well as the the piston rods and bearings. I know now that the bearings were really shot, since you schooled me on it. but at this point. If you really want your car running, replace the bearings, and stack up some bread to do a built motor.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by iDashX
Look at financials. If your able to afford it right now, go with the complete build... if not... replace the bearings... Idk what it takes to do a rebuild or bearings...
Can't afford it all at once but I can buy parts here and there, bearings are simple but I got the engine apart so I see build being the better option

Originally Posted by eklipz98
I'm not mechanically inclined, so take my advice with a grain of salt. You mentioned that the previous owner did not maintain the car too well. I would go for the complete rebuild so you can make sure you are starting fresh. It will hopefully prevent you from having more gremlins pop up in the future.
Good point

Originally Posted by Silver9k
Not really enough info given. Did the "torn to shit" rod bearing leave metal shavings in the oil that were small enough to get into the oil pump and be pumped through the rest of the engine? Is the head possibly damaged from pieces of metal? Are you just talking about doing a bottom end rebuild? How do the sleeves look? If components of the bearing don't look like they would have damaged anything else too bad, then I'd say just replace all the bearings and consider a new oil pump upon inspection. If there is a chance that it would have messed with the rest of the engine...you CAN do a full rebuild but need to know somebody who knows how to hone the FRM sleeves unless you re-sleeve the block as well, and at that point you may as well find a working short block for sale or buy a new short block and just use that; and if dreams of high horsepower are in your future build this block as time and money allow.
Yes there are shavings which is why I'm cleaning everything, I visually inspected everything and #4 rod bearing was the only damaged part, the rod and crank journals both have no scoring, I am taking the crankshaft to school and I'm gonna take measurements, as well block, sleeves are not scratched, scored or chipped just need to hone it which I'm doing myself its easy.

Quick Reply: Update on car