California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Trunk dynamat

Old 04-09-2012, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rydelow
Clean the area with alcohol. Once you cut the dynamat and are ready to apply, have a heat gun/hair dryer to heat the glue on the dynamat. If you don't have a roller use the round edge(handle of screw driver) to push the dynamat flat.

This might not stop the rattle as I had the same problem. Your gonna need to spray Great Stuff or something similar in the trunk to stop the rattle. I've learned to live with the rattle. I only care if it sounds good inside
Just to piggy back on this, If you look underneath your trunk door, you will see sections that are not flush. I would cut out dynamat pieces to fill in these sections making it somewhat flush for a second layer to be applied across the whole trunk. This will help cause its the brace that vibrates with the outer skin of the trunk that makes the noise (not including the license plate). Filling in the sections then adding a 2nd layer helps a lot.

As far as the license plate, you can cover the back of the license plate with dynamat.

Keep in mind this will make your trunk heavy. It won't spring up like it normally does. As far as total weight (full trunk), imho, i don't think it adds that much weight to the car to make any type of noticeable difference. If your in some type of time attack hard core track then yes, sure, but for DD, Valley and occasional track, i think better sound quality greatly out weighs the added "weight". You shave off more weight with some aftermarket exhausts then what you put on in dynamat. Just some food for thought...

v/r
James
Old 04-09-2012, 07:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalibos
Originally Posted by rydelow' timestamp='1334014155' post='21592018
Clean the area with alcohol. Once you cut the dynamat and are ready to apply, have a heat gun/hair dryer to heat the glue on the dynamat. If you don't have a roller use the round edge(handle of screw driver) to push the dynamat flat.

This might not stop the rattle as I had the same problem. Your gonna need to spray Great Stuff or something similar in the trunk to stop the rattle. I've learned to live with the rattle. I only care if it sounds good inside
Just to piggy back on this, If you look underneath your trunk door, you will see sections that are not flush. I would cut out dynamat pieces to fill in these sections making it somewhat flush for a second layer to be applied across the whole trunk. This will help cause its the brace that vibrates with the outer skin of the trunk that makes the noise (not including the license plate). Filling in the sections then adding a 2nd layer helps a lot.

As far as the license plate, you can cover the back of the license plate with dynamat.

Keep in mind this will make your trunk heavy. It won't spring up like it normally does. As far as total weight (full trunk), imho, i don't think it adds that much weight to the car to make any type of noticeable difference. If your in some type of time attack hard core track then yes, sure, but for DD, Valley and occasional track, i think better sound quality greatly out weighs the added "weight". You shave off more weight with some aftermarket exhausts then what you put on in dynamat. Just some food for thought...

v/r
James
I agree here, by swapping out alot of the heavier OEM parts (intake, cat, header, exhaust) you will make up for some of the added weight from stereo parts (especially if we are just talking about the added weight of the dynamat alone).
Old 04-09-2012, 11:46 PM

5-10 lbs. isn't going to drastically change your car performance unless we're talking about un-sprung weight. I've added about 150 lbs onto my car so don't trip...
Old 04-10-2012, 08:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm still questioning how you can add 10lbs of dynamat on an s
i probably put, at most, 2-3lbs on both doors and trunk itself.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Simply remove the spare tire which weighs about 40lbs, then you break even.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:41 PM

My personal solution on that is... get rid of the beat yo!!
Old 04-13-2012, 02:26 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
i'm still questioning how you can add 10lbs of dynamat on an s
i probably put, at most, 2-3lbs on both doors and trunk itself.
There are strategic spots to dynamat and like another set, you must remove that plastic tray between the soft top and trunklid to release the pressure. Also soft top latches and the underside are problem areas.

It's pretty easy man if you get crazy.....mine is as tight a virgin

Old 04-13-2012, 07:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Now that is a properly insulated s2k Rick. Nice work! I'm jealous.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:47 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Now that is a properly insulated s2k Rick. Nice work! I'm jealous.

thanks!

Did I mention if you plan to do this to WEAR GLOVES! Getting cuts with the aluminum backing cuts deep and H U R T S!!!