California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

trial for a speeding tix in San Mateo?

Old 12-29-2009, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trial for a speeding tix in San Mateo?

Hi All,

Any know the process of a trial for San Mateo court?

I got a ticket on 280 going 85 in a 65 mph zone. I went to court and wanted to fight it hoping the officer doesn't show up. Someone told me that Daly City and all police dept don't get over time anymore because of the budgets.

I went over to court over on Mission in South SF. You have to show up before 8:30am and you wait in this long line to talk to a clerk. I hope there won't be a next time but I will be when it opens at 7:30am. After the wait, you'll have the option of paying / traffic school or requesting a court date. I wanted a court date so they give you another form and tells you to wait for the judge. I thought I would be done but I waited another hour before my case was called. Now I have to stand in front of a judge. He was pretty chill and just looked at each case and said you want traffic school? When I got up, I asked for a court date and he ripped me a new one. Basically I was stupid and now I have a chance for my license to be suspended. I then asked for traffic school and he said too late you going to be found guilt.

I haven't had a ticket for 12 years and thought the $380 + $57 court fee + traffic school was a bit expensive. Now looking back, maybe I should of just paid it.

Supposedly when you go to trial, my friend said in SF they call a bunch of names and excuse you because the officer didn't show up. If the officer is there, you have the option of pleading guilty and traffic school. If not, the trial will process. I'm hoping that is the same for San Mateo court.

I would appreciate any information people can give. I will let you know my outcome after my trial.

Thanks in advance!

Happy New Year and be safe!
Old 12-29-2009, 05:49 PM

During your arraignment, you have the choice to plea not guilty, guilty or no contest. Once you go to trial, you have already pleaded not guilty so you cant change your plea to guilty and you cannot get traffic school anymore. This is the same for all CA courthouses. IF the officer doesnt show it usually means case dismissed but its not guaranteed. Where on 280 did you get the ticket?
Old 12-29-2009, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was this a radar ticket or a pacing ticket. You need to start figuring out a defense in case the officer shows up.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:31 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

The judge was probably pissed because it's a waste of time.

Get legal help. If the cost is an issue weigh the downsides you might face of failing to understand the process again, but this time in front of a judge while you attempt to prove innocent.

If you were doing 85 in a 65 you might just have to suck it up. Or try a lawyer and see if s/he can get it reduced.

If however you think you'll pull this out of the fire on your own or are hoping for dumb luck to kick in - don't count on it. I've always been better off with a local lawyer with connections.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:21 AM

At the trial if you are eligible for traffic school your fine will be reduced. Basically at the trial, cop will show or not, you tell your side, judge determines if its bull or not, and will either keep the fine the same or reduce it.

Getting legal help for this will cost you more than the ticket, so just man it up because its a lil price to pay. It doesn't matter if radar or pace was involved, officers have all the radar paper work ready and they even say they can judge how fast cars go and will provide a speedo calibration for their vehicle. (Can you tell I've been through this before hahah)

San Mateo County is no joke. They are harsh. I was in court at the Northern Branch a couple of months ago and every cop showed up for every case.

At the actual trial, the judge was cool. He said write me a letter stating what you learned from this. I wrote him a letter, never heard anything from the court. A point showed up on my record and I was like effin A. But turns out my letter did bring some good, the point dropped off already. Speeding shouldve stayed on my record for 3 years.

Look up how to fight or beat tickets in court. If you're prepared, know some court jargon and all the things that can go wrong with a radar or pacing it will help you out.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:56 AM

You should have done a trial by mail first....

1 point on your record in 12 years is probably not going to make your insurance payment go up at all. It's not even worth paying for traffic school in that situation (court fee + tuition > $0 insurance hike).

If you want to fight it, file an "informal discovery request" to the court and CHP office, if they don't respond within 20 days, you can make a motion to have the case dismissed. This assumes your trial date is more than 20 days away.

http://www.helpigotaticket.com/proc/discover.html
Old 12-30-2009, 02:48 PM

I was pulled over just before Westborough heading south bound.

Thanks for all the replies! I was feeling pretty crappy for getting yelled at in court which I don't think I deserve. All I wanted was just a court date. Whatever happen to innocent until proven guilty? The cop did make several mistakes on my ticket so I think its fair that I can question his judgement.

I'll most likely look for a lawyer. Its worth it for me to bring one in case I say the wrong thing again. Anyone have a good traffic attorney?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:36 PM

Majeed Samara
660 El Camino Real
Ste 214
Millbrae, CA 94030
(650) 588-7700
www.samaralaw.com

He got me out of a 2 pointer reckless

Fair pricing also