California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Transportation during an SF visit

Old 03-08-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephenopoly
The Muni (public trans system) is a great way to get around since it sounds like you'll be in areas that are very close to each other, except for the golden gate bridge (you could rent bikes and ride over there!). SF is only 7 miles across so its not the worse if you get lost, you could just walk

If you decide on Muni you can use nextbus.com on your smartphone to help you find the times of the next 3 buses at any stop. Hope this helps!

im definitely taking down notes. thanks for this info stephen! im not worthy!
Old 03-09-2012, 12:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
great advice you two!!! i am leaning more towards no car since it seems the only far place i want to go is across the GG bridge. Might just rent a bicycle as suggested since it may only be for 1 day. I need the exercise anyway! Plus, with a bike i could stop on bridge for a view right? something that i imagine can't be done with a car?
I'd recommend walking across the bridge and back if it's nice out. Sounds like you have a +1, so it would be a fun thing to do together. The views are awesome, and on really nice days you can spot seals and dolphins in the water!
Old 03-09-2012, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by yamez
hi there. what i could recommend you is this: as for parking its relatively cheap (considering you get free parking on where you are staying)

sorry, but parking is NOT free if you are staying at a hotel in union square. it's going to run you at LEAST $25 a day with in/out privileges. i worked at one for 5 years. hotels don't have parking lots unless you stay out of the city or maybe a small motel somewhere. they use public garages around the area.

there is also a visitor passport good for 1, 3, or 7 days. unlimited rides on muni and cable cars. http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm
Old 03-11-2012, 01:07 AM

Take public transit and see the city, do some walking tours. Bringing a car will just tie you down. See and explore the city and not the traffic and waste time with parking hunting.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:29 PM

i absolutely agree that you should use taxis to get around. most of the places you mentioned are within walking distance if you want to take your time getting there, and otherwise they're a v. cheap taxi trip. driving around in the fidi will just frustrate you, and searching for street parking or dealing with lots will just be a pain. save the rental and parking cost, save the stress of navigating through the city, and jump a taxi when you feel the need. also, bart from SFO will take you right to union square.

and don't take the bus; you're only here for a few days.. don't waste them on the bus. walk or taxi for the win. i walk a mile from the ballpark to the financial district and back every day as my commute to and from work.

for golden gate, it's popular to sign up for a bike tour. they'll provide the bike and a map and you get to ride over the bridge, head into sausalito (which i recommend checking out for a nice meal), and take the ferry from sausalito back to pier 39 and drop off your bike again.

in addition to your list, i'd suggest this:

golden gate (bike tour)
chinatown (do a pub crawl early evening, find a random chinese restaurant for some good food, continue pub crawl)
lombard st. (good for like.. 15 minutes of novelty, could be cool if you really want to check it out)
fisherman's wharf (i avoid. tourist trap. try the ferry building instead, especially during farmer's market, if you want real deal experience and not the disney store. of course, if you're looking for the tourist spot though, then it will have everything you are looking for. nothing beats corona and clam chowder in a bread bowl. except hog island oyster co. and blue bottle in the ferry building.)
alcatraz (this sounds fun haha.)

also check out haight and ashbury, telegraph ave and uc campus in berkeley (short bart ride across the bay, but fun), japantown for some good eats. sf academy of science in golden gate park is also two thumbs up.

have a good trip man
Old 03-12-2012, 06:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want some wheels for cheap, rent these!

http://www.gocartours.com/

edit* nm, not really cheap. lol
Old 03-12-2012, 10:45 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by butdamnbrian
i absolutely agree that you should use taxis to get around. most of the places you mentioned are within walking distance if you want to take your time getting there, and otherwise they're a v. cheap taxi trip. driving around in the fidi will just frustrate you, and searching for street parking or dealing with lots will just be a pain. save the rental and parking cost, save the stress of navigating through the city, and jump a taxi when you feel the need. also, bart from SFO will take you right to union square.

and don't take the bus; you're only here for a few days.. don't waste them on the bus. walk or taxi for the win. i walk a mile from the ballpark to the financial district and back every day as my commute to and from work.

for golden gate, it's popular to sign up for a bike tour. they'll provide the bike and a map and you get to ride over the bridge, head into sausalito (which i recommend checking out for a nice meal), and take the ferry from sausalito back to pier 39 and drop off your bike again.

in addition to your list, i'd suggest this:

golden gate (bike tour)
chinatown (do a pub crawl early evening, find a random chinese restaurant for some good food, continue pub crawl)
lombard st. (good for like.. 15 minutes of novelty, could be cool if you really want to check it out)
fisherman's wharf (i avoid. tourist trap. try the ferry building instead, especially during farmer's market, if you want real deal experience and not the disney store. of course, if you're looking for the tourist spot though, then it will have everything you are looking for. nothing beats corona and clam chowder in a bread bowl. except hog island oyster co. and blue bottle in the ferry building.)
alcatraz (this sounds fun haha.)

also check out haight and ashbury, telegraph ave and uc campus in berkeley (short bart ride across the bay, but fun), japantown for some good eats. sf academy of science in golden gate park is also two thumbs up.

have a good trip man
good advice and recommendations. thank you sir.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm

pick up a 3 or 7 day muni pass if you want. i use this all the time when i go to the bay area and just jump on and off cable cars
Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

hey guys, arriving to town tomorrow, thanks for all the help. Any s2ki meets Wed-Sun?!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thursday - SF
Friday - Milipitas
Saturday - Concord

Quick Reply: Transportation during an SF visit