California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Trackmasters and HOD to require roll protection?

Old 06-29-2010, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wanting to keep my skin neatly wrapped around the outside of my liver and kidneys, I ordered the Hard Dog bar with double diagonals rather then a removable diagonal. Was afraid of smacking the back of my bare head on that attachment bracket welded to the top hoop during a street incident.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many good points here..I have the Hard Dog Roll Bar and would have it just to go to Safeway and back,let alone when I track the car.The roll hoops on the S are not high enough to offer real protection. One added plus you get from the roll bar is it tightens up the rear end.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bluenote,Jun 30 2010, 07:28 AM
The roll hoops on the S are not high enough to offer real protection. One added plus you get from the roll bar is it tightens up the rear end.
I don't find that an accurate statement as unfortunately plenty of rolled S2000 have proven the OEM roll hoops do a fairly good job of protecting the occupants. In many cases, injuries that occurred were a result of the front windshield collapsing.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:51 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This was a big concern of mine when I bought my S2K. I was torn between buying a Miata and making modifications or buying an S2K and just driving it. I previously owned an early Miata. The Miata Hard Dog roll bar install was easy and did not require destroying the interior. I took the Miata to the track about once a year. Since I am 6'2"; I doubt that I will be passing any broom stick tests in the S2K. I need to get some track time as my street driving is starting to push the envelope of legality. But, cutting up the interior in the S2K is not acceptable and the after market roll bars I have seen for the S2K that fit with the roll hoops greatly reduce cabin space.
Maybe I need a second car for the track
Old 07-04-2010, 09:36 AM

Ultimately, I think the decision to fit a roll bar comes down too I feel lucky? (thanks to Clint Eastwood here)...If you feel the stock set up offers adequate protection then drive on. Im now at the point in my driving where I want all the protection I can get, so a solid SCCA approved roll bar is important to me. 20 years ago I probably would not have bothered because I was under the impression that I was indestructible.
BTW, ES2K you can fit the Hard Dog and cut the trim to make it look almost like a factory job...it takes a lot of time and patience but done correctly it looks great.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:43 AM

Someone on here had a custom rollbar done that fit really nicely with the interior. IIRC he said it was done at Roger Kraus (I'm probably wrong)? It was on a Silverstone AP2 and the bar was painted to match; Met him at a friday meet a long time ago. Anyone remember who this was?
Old 07-05-2010, 08:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Project22a,Jul 4 2010, 11:43 AM
Someone on here had a custom rollbar done that fit really nicely with the interior. IIRC he said it was done at Roger Kraus (I'm probably wrong)? It was on a Silverstone AP2 and the bar was painted to match; Met him at a friday meet a long time ago. Anyone remember who this was?
That was Joe and it was not done by Roger Kraus. I'm in the process of trying to get that bar replicated.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:58 PM

Where'd he have it made?

As a side note, I wonder if our fingerprints are still embedded in the paint
Old 07-08-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Jun 29 2010, 09:57 AM
That is called a race car. Show me a street car with a full cage and I'll show you a future organ donor.

HDPE exists solely for that reason only. I suspect that most racetracks won't be able to stay alive if it wasn't for HPDE events. Ultimately though I suspect that insurance is driving this requirement and not organizations themselves.
Didnt' want to light a fire.

Maybe they should offer an option based on experience. More serious and faster group should require more protection.

I do agree on the insurance speculation, but all of this is speculation.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

anyone know how much a hard dog bar generally costs to install? i personally don't want to spend 2 full days trying to install it.

Quick Reply: Trackmasters and HOD to require roll protection?