California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Trackmasters and HOD to require roll protection?

Old 06-26-2010, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trackmasters and HOD to require roll protection?

Here in NorCal, I understand that Trackmasters and Hooked On Driving will be requiring rollover protection (beyond factory hoops) for Boxsters, S2ks, Z3/4s, Porsche cabs, etc. This could take the form of a broomstick test, more robust roll bar requirements, restrictions on run groups (e.g. Groups A/B only), or a combination of the above. NCRC requires a broomstick test (and actually offers discounts on track days for installing certain approved safety upgrades). BMWCCA has standards tougher then the broomstick test, and has requirements for convertible roll bars.

Like taking medicine, I guess this is all good. I've been thinking about how to drive a safer car (i.e. roll protection and harness in my S2k, get a 911/Cayman/M3, etc) and this might push me to take action. There was a recent Boxster rollover at Thunderhill T15 that trapped the passengers helmeted head underneath. He was unhurt but had to pull his head out of his trapped helmet.

Anyone here anything about this?
Old 06-27-2010, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at NCRC Thill this past friday--sounds like more clubs are cracking down for good reason.

I a rollbar right now but might go custom with hard top--however, I like my soft top so much on the street so I am pretty torn.

FYI, for NASA W2W, soft top must be down or taken out since they worry about the soft top mechanism failing and impailing the driver. As weather allows, I have been running with top down. Rather be safe than slow.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I'm definitely a fan of better safety, the flip side of requiring stricter safety requirements for HPDE, such as aftermarket rollbars is that since you are placing such a high barrier to entry, you will now have some drivers that will continue to get their thrills on the street instead of taking it to the track. As is the point of HPDE, I'm a lot better of a street driver thanks to what I learned on the track.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:59 AM

That's a good point, Voodoo_S2k, but this new step applies to convertibles, so it's an incremental barrier only to a portion of the HPDE crowd. It'll hit us S2k and the Boxster owners hardest, as most Miatas I see are track prepped and Z3/4, 350/70Z, and Porsche cab owners are too busy posing to play ;-)

Talked to David Ray (owner of HOD) the other day, he had a frequent customer who had just ordered special from the factory a new 997 Turbo cabriolet primarily for HOD track days. The guy fortunately was able to change it to a coupe, woulda been tough to blow $175k and not get to play. Makes my $1k Hard Dog bar purchase easier to take ;-)
Old 06-28-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess more clubs are making it harder for those who wants to put their DD's on a track for fun like Vu said :/
Old 06-28-2010, 02:12 PM

rollover protection is always for your own safety, no matter if it's a requirement or not.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by owenxguo,Jun 28 2010, 03:12 PM
rollover protection is always for your own safety, no matter if it's a requirement or not.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by owenxguo,Jun 28 2010, 03:12 PM
, but I think I can speak for the majority of S2000 owners that if HPDE organizers made a rollbar mandatory, most of us would have never tracked our S2000s. Who would incur the costs and the cutting up their interiors to install a rollbar not knowing if this was something they were going to enjoy in the long run.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:44 PM

I just hope they don't go the way of BMWCCA, which requires roll bars be high enough to clear the helmet on a line from roll bar to top of suspension mount. I don't think that's possible for our car (or the Z3/4) and still get a hard/soft top on.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:10 PM

I agree with Voodoo_S2k. If they had these restrictions back in '05, I would have bought a coupe instead, as my end game when I got my car was to track it. I'm glad I got it on track before things started changing. I've put >70k miles on it and it's depreciated enough I'm more comfortable with adding big stuff like roll bars, but it makes it more a track car then daily driver. Soft top's the next to go once I find a hard top, then I'll have a robust coupe to track!

Quick Reply: Trackmasters and HOD to require roll protection?