California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Track Prep (not complete but it'll give you a good idea)

Old 02-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hanzel28
Originally Posted by macr88' timestamp='1330449143' post='21459001
Thanks Broda
You're welcome
Old 02-28-2012, 10:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For beginners, do not focus on trying to be fast. Speed comes with time. You should be focused on being safe and learning the lines.

Being safe encompasses a lot of things. Here are a few.
* Be predictable. That means if someone is coming up behind you to pass, stay on your line and let them get around you by going offline.
* Corner workers. Make sure to be aware of where all of the corner workers are located and to make a conscious effort to look at them every lap. This will help to avoid surprises while on the track.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:14 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Wave "Thank you!" to the corner workers on your last lap. They're lonely out there! That also lets them know that YOU know you're supposed to come in.

Originally Posted by Hanzel28
BTW: Dress code? Can we wear shorts?
I don't think BT cares what you wear, but... wear nothing but cotton (denim is okay). Plastic-based fabrics like nylon will shrink and melt into your skin in a fire. That's all bad. I don't think it will be super hot out there so I will wear jeans. Try not to laugh at the sweat spot on my ass!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -outkast-
some more supplemental info to keep in mind (some are repetitions of what has already been mentioned).

On track:
-First lap is a warm up lap. You need to warm up the brakes, the car, and yourself. Don’t forget your brain and your muscles need to warm up to!
-Look ahead THROUGH the turn, and not AT the turn. If you look at the turn, or at the dirt, you might lose focus and go off.
-if possible, try to look at the next turn rather than the turn that you are in at the moment.
-be careful with following the lines of the person in front of you. If they screw up, so will you.
-FOCUS
-late apex is the safe apex
-slow in, fast out.
-If you are sliding, or are going off, don’t try to save it. Let it slide. Last thing you want to happen is the car snaps back the other direction which might hit another car, or worse, hit the wall.
-FOCUS
-Run one cool down lap with either no braking or very minimal braking to cool down your brakes, the car, and yourself.

Once off the track:
-drive around for a few minutes to continue cooling down the brakes and the car. Again, try to use zero braking or at least very minimal braking. There is no need to drive around like a speed demon around the pits. Please be cautious of the speed limit.
-once parked, do NOT pull up the ebrake. Leave the car in gear and/or use a wheel chock.
-pop the hood and open it to let it cool.
-drink water or sports drink. You might not know it, but you are dehydrated. I always switch off between the two. Gatorade after one session, water after the next session, then back to Gatorade, etc.
-relax
-think back at how much fun that was and focus on what you need to do to improve.
THX MR. BLUE...
Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
Wave "Thank you!" to the corner workers on your last lap. They're lonely out there! That also lets them know that YOU know you're supposed to come in.

Originally Posted by Hanzel28' timestamp='1328285675' post='21380790
BTW: Dress code? Can we wear shorts?
I don't think BT cares what you wear, but... wear nothing but cotton (denim is okay). Plastic-based fabrics like nylon will shrink and melt into your skin in a fire. That's all bad. I don't think it will be super hot out there so I will wear jeans. Try not to laugh at the sweat spot on my ass!
I think sweat spots are acceptable. Better than running around screaming that you are on fire.

Thanks man.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

^ lol
Old 02-28-2012, 07:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just curious... can i have music playing?? when i drive through the mountains i blast my music.. helps me concentrate...
Old 02-28-2012, 07:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iDashX
just curious... can i have music playing?? when i drive through the mountains i blast my music.. helps me concentrate...
You may think so, but I seriously doubt it.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
Originally Posted by iDashX' timestamp='1330488155' post='21461228
You may think so, but I seriously doubt it.
works for me lol
Old 02-28-2012, 07:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

maybe not the session with an instructor but it really does help for me.

Quick Reply: Track Prep (not complete but it'll give you a good idea)